Deer Are Sneaky Bastages

timmythecop

If you have not been to castle Decoppe, I will describe my area to you. Country-ish, but not boondocks. It is zoned "Rural", so group mailboxes on one side of the street, no animal control, spotty trash pickup, etc. The street I live on is dark and gets very, very quiet at night. I was coming home from work a while ago at about 23:15 hours. When I got to my street about a mile from my house, I flicked on my hi-beams. I told myself in my helmet that the deer may be out and too many of us have hit those fookers lately. I cruise down my road at about 45 mph in too tall a gear for the sake of my neighbors and begin to make the turn into my driveway. I say to myself that I am silly worrying about deer and such. As my attention goes to the hi-lo switch, there he was. Blocking my driveway.....

He was 17 feet tall if he was an inch. 27 or so feet long and mean looking. He stood in an attack stance the width of my driveway, just a few feet after the road. He waved his 37 point rack at me and flared his nostrils. He gave me the international look for "You don't have the stones to ride any further"

Since my very limited attention span was on that pesky switch, I got very close to him on the brakes. He ambled off in that funny deer-with-hooves-on-pavement gait, and I had a delayed heart attack. Myocardial Infarction complete, I parked the VFR and lit a Pall Mall.

The purpose of my story: It is late summer and will soon be fall. My limited knowledge of bovine?-Ovine?-Deervine? animals tells me now is when they come out at night. I don't know how to combat these brazen bastages, so post your remedies and as always............"Lets be careful out there"*

*Not my actual roll call closer. Mine is "Fall out, have fun and be careful"

• Member Contributer

They'll be going into rut soon and that means full tilt, crazy ass deer that will do anything except what you would expect a deer to do. :3::3::beatdeadhorse::3::3:

• Member Contributer

They'll be going into rut soon and that means full tilt, crazy ass deer that will do anything except what you would expect a deer to do. :3::3::beatdeadhorse::3::3:

Sounds like teenagers . . . stupid, irrational, unpredictable, taking chances, running in front of things just to see if they can get away with it, out all night chasing the opposite sex. Good thing deer don't drink beer . . . if they could get 'em, they'd probably smoke cigarettes, too. :ph34r:

Two years ago I encountered 4 elk much like Timmy's deer, though it was on a road and in broad daylight. It was a standoff with the 4 of them looking at me and blocking the road . . . so I gunned the engine figuring that the sound would scare 'em off. BAD IDEA . . . the largest one of them started clomping its foot and snorting at me as a challenge. I thought "oh sh@t - now I've got it pissed off at me!" As I was mentally trying to figure out how quickly I could turn around and ride away (and envisioning myself being trampled by 4 irate elk . . . "no, really officer - I didn't hit them - they just kicked my ass!") they took off in to the woods. Hitting an elk would be about like hitting a pickup truck - huge animals.

I hit Bambi June 9th and still recovering. It was in the middle of the day. Three deer darted out of the road side brush. There was about 1/10th of a second warning. The only way I could of avoided it was to not be on a bike that day.

Been riding for 42 years, 200k miles without one injury. I would gladly give it all up to not have to go through what I have in the last 2-1/2 months.

Deers are unpredictable creatures, as many other wild animals. Good lights and a slower speed at night is the best you can do, aside avoid areas/roads where there is usally deers moving. Deers as many wild animals usually use same paths as they travel, aside if hunted by something. Also they usually move as night falls or morning rise. And also a time the move arround a lot, and dont follow paths that mutch, is as hunting season begins.

It was close, but thats a win compare to a hit!

• Member Contributer

Wow, not nice. I nearly ran into two of them feckers last year, luckily I had been slowed down by a truck I'd just over taken or would have been moving to fast to avoid them. I had to use the whole road to avoid them & again was lucky nothing was coming the other way or it would have been a hard choice deer or car ! :(

Shoot them, best thing for them. We are having more & more RTA's in the UK with deer as the cause ! The populations are exploding here :(

• Member Contributer

Phew, thought you took a hit.

More and more deer every year. Grandfather has a dozen fruit trees in his back yard. Backyard is also one giant patch of droppings from the wildlife eating from the buffet.

• Member Contributer

He was 17 feet tall if he was an inch. 27 or so feet long and mean looking. He stood in an attack stance the width of my driveway, just a few feet after the road. He waved his 37 point rack at me and flared his nostrils. He gave me the international look for "You don't have the stones to ride any further"

:laughing6-hehe:

I had one pop out of the scrub close to the road two weeks ago in the middle of the day. Close enough that I could've reached out and patted it on the head. :blink:

• Member Contributer

I honestly believe there is a deer population explosion going on as I have run into more deer lately than not. I hike quite a bit on the foot hills around ABQ and they seem to be every where. Driving through Colorado I have yet to have to not have seen a deer or three running around. In Salida a week ago there was one brazen hoofer just eating the lawn right in the middle of town off the main street from the down town area. Every time I plan a motorcycle trip through remote areas I double check my Stebel Nautilus and try to time my rides away from sun rise and sun sets to give me a better chance.

Maybe some of those "deer whistlers"?

Fortunately my short commute the worst I have to worry about is other drivers and and an occasional coyote.

• Member Contributer

I honestly believe there is a deer population explosion going on as I have run into more deer lately than not. I hike quite a bit on the foot hills around ABQ and they seem to be every where. Driving through Colorado I have yet to have to not have seen a deer or three running around. In Salida a week ago there was one brazen hoofer just eating the lawn right in the middle of town off the main street from the down town area. Every time I plan a motorcycle trip through remote areas I double check my Stebel Nautilus and try to time my rides away from sun rise and sun sets to give me a better chance.

Maybe some of those "deer whistlers"?

Fortunately my short commute the worst I have to worry about is other drivers and and an occasional coyote.

According to the guys on the ST1300-owners site (they do a ton of miles), the deer whistle things don't work...

How about a fairing mounted cross-bow?

Whatever happened to the great art of Jousting? Sure you'd be a lightning rod riding around with one of those poles strapped to your bike, but at least you could challenge one of them horned furry dragons to a duel and possibly end up with a great meal if you win.

• Member Contributer

Whatever happened to the great art of Jousting? Sure you'd be a lightning rod riding around with one of those poles strapped to your bike, but at least you could challenge one of them horned furry dragons to a duel and possibly end up with a great meal if you win.

And if you find yourself in the city, just take out a few red light/speeding cameras and call it a win as well.

great post Timmy! After I returned from Japan and moved to Missouri I called my uncle when I shot my first deer since leaving home as 16 year old(a very nice 8 pointer that dressed out at 180 lbs, I was self employed, two kids at the time flat broke and this was food!) he said, calm down, slow down, was anyone hurt?

I said, hurt? what are you talking about?

He said when you hit the deer, was anyone injured? Cause I know you didn't shoot that deer....

I don't think the deer whistles do much but I think if you are the type of person to mount a deer whistle on your bike then you are the type of person to be more aware of deer.

we need to cull the heard and feed the homeless with them (and with those damn squirrels!) WIN WIN.

• Member Contributer

Rumor has it that Irish Springs soap is a deterrent. According to my local city paper, at least. Apparently the deer don't like the nice, fresh scent.

• Member Contributer

So all we need to do is catch a few and rub them down with Irish Spring so they stop procreating....sounds plausible.

• Member Contributer

So if virgin wool is from ugly sheep (so I have heard but Dutchy has not confirmed) would virgin deerskin gloves come from deer that had been washed with Irish Spring?

• Member Contributer

So if virgin wool is from ugly sheep (so I have heard but Dutchy has not confirmed) would virgin deerskin gloves come from deer that had been washed with Irish Spring?

All I know of virginity is that it can be cured............... :goofy:

As for the deer, would a double tap not cure the problem? Or will that only START the problem???

• Member Contributer

Ok Timmy. I can come up on the weekends and we'll get the fuckers one at a time.

Blaser_Tac2_zps6560c0bc.jpg

It's set up now for 0-1000 yards but I can swap a barrel (to 338LM) and we'll be good to 2000 yards easy. Extermination is just my game :goofy:

• Member Contributer

And if you find yourself in the city, just take out a few red light/speeding cameras and call it a win as well.

great post Timmy! After I returned from Japan and moved to Missouri I called my uncle when I shot my first deer since leaving home as 16 year old(a very nice 8 pointer that dressed out at 180 lbs, I was self employed, two kids at the time flat broke and this was food!) he said, calm down, slow down, was anyone hurt?

I said, hurt? what are you talking about?

He said when you hit the deer, was anyone injured? Cause I know you didn't shoot that deer....

I don't think the deer whistles do much but I think if you are the type of person to mount a deer whistle on your bike then you are the type of person to be more aware of deer.

we need to cull the heard and feed the homeless with them (and with those damn squirrels!) WIN WIN.

Thanks for the laugh Timmy and Cornercarver. So, you that bad a shooter, eh?

I'm prolly just as bad, never really fired a firearm, but I can help anyone who kills eat venison and I can bring a nice bottle of red to accompany it. And I'd certainly have a couple for the VFRD members who fell victims of those rats.

C

Archived