Helmets For Naked Riders...err Riders Of Nakeds

2thdr

Update: So I went looking for a Shoei X-12 to try on at the Indy Motogp race but there were none... I did end up buying a 2013 Bell Star Carbon though after it surprised me by fitting my long-oval head much better than the Bell RS-1 I picked up for cheap last month. Usually new helmets are fairly uncomfortable to me until they break in.. this one however is quite nice! It's a little loud but flows a ton a of air through it. Definitely have to wear ear plugs but I do anyway so it's not a problem. Also comes with a sweet helmet carry bag and a dark smoke visor.

This is the one I picked up... :cool:

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=31578

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I just can't get on board with the Bilt gear...too much of it that I have examined seems cheaply made. So I'm generalizing my opinion, but if it says "Bilt" I'm probably going to pass on it. I realize they are filling a niche with pricing, but I want quality in my protective gear even if I have to pay a premium to get it...

This is just for me, and I'm not bashing the gear for others...

I was being a bit sarcastic with it.. :)

Although I do have some Bilt Gear (including my helmet), I certainly see them as a low-quality, budget brand. It may be "safe enough", but it's not going to be "really nice" gear. IMO.

I DO like my Bilt Fusion helmet though. Only DOT approved, but has a more race shaped shell with more pointed chin and hugs my entire head and face/cheeks snug and comfy and perfectly.

• Member Contributer

A good-fitting helmet is a nice thing! Still saving my beans for a Shoei GT Air...it fits my head like a glove...I mean...like a helmet, yeah!

• Member Contributer

I have tested the GT-air. Nothing I've ever used cuts the wind so well. It's extremely quiet also. Ridden in temps up to 97 and it vents enough but definitely doesn't vent quite as much as a race helmet. It was good enough for TX summers so it should be good enough venting for just about anywhere. Due to the shape wind buffeting is minimized and it just cuts through the air. I bought it to be the VFR helmet as I'm sitting more upright (the GT-air was designed for upright to 3/4 riding) and it has speaker cut outs for my Sena BT speakers. The only adjustment for me has been the drop down shade. It took some acclimating to get used to it compared to a fully dark screen. Waiting for Shoei to release a light smoke screen for it as my eyes are a little more light sensitive than most so the darker the better.

I just picked up an AGV Corsa limited edition and I'll test it against this new helmet next weekend.

• 3 years later...
  • Member Contributer

Reviving an old thread...I ended up getting a GT-Air, and have to agree, a really great helmet.  Have worn it on several different types of bikes over the last few years and it has been remarkably versatile.  A few weeks ago the wife and I took a tumble on the V-Strom 1000 in the mud and gravel and I smacked the gravel pretty good with the back of my GT-Air.  Bad enough to scratch it up and a couple of paint chipped areas smaller than a dime.  I should probably send it in to have them check it, but kind of a hassle.  Anyway, am thinking about a new lid again, and wanted to get opinions on the Arai Signet-Q Pro Tour with the freaky outside sunvisor thingy.  Anyone have one?  Wondering why I can get a closeout for dang cheap...

signetq_protour.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have the Viper GT, same shell as the helmet pictured, but without the sun shade. Great helmet, super comfy and fairly quiet, no buffeting. I also have a RX7RR and the Viper is a better road helmet.

Archived