Helmets For Naked Riders...err Riders Of Nakeds

2thdr

• Member Contributer

Well, you get what I mean...how about you that have a naked bike in the stable. What have you found to be the best helmet for slipping through the wind, especially when doing head checks? My old RF-1000 is showing it's inadequacy for riding my CB1R...the wind really pushes it around. I'm thinking about one of the new Scorpion R2000's or maybe an Arai, but I am cheap. I hate paying more than $350 or so for a lid. Anyone have a Scorpion EXO-500? I like the Scorpions since they seem to fit my head shape best of the helmets I've worn.

I ride an 86 VF500F Fighter, and use a Scorpion EXO-700. Haven't had any issues. I really want to get the new Bell Rogue, I think it would go great with the Street Fighter look.

Most well designed helmets should work on both faired and naked bikes as unless you are riding a big touring bike with a large windshield on it, you should have most of your helmet in the "quiet" non-turbulent airstream above the windshield. You might want to chck out the latest helmets from Schuberth, as they continue to build on their reputation as having some of the most quiet riding helmets in the business.....

I ride a street triple and a supermoto..i wear an AGV GP TECH and its perfect

Sent from Samsung Galaxy NOTE

Shark Speed R was also nice...I cant agree on suomy...nice helmets but a low end helmet at a mid to high end price

Sent from Samsung Galaxy NOTE

I also have a VEMAR VSRE that is nice on my bikes

I replaced my very noisy Shoei with a Bell RS1. It fits my head shape better and I love the helmet. Equipped with the SolFX shield and I no longer have to carry sunglasses or an extra shield.

• Member Contributer

I replaced my very noisy Shoei with a Bell RS1. It fits my head shape better and I love the helmet. Equipped with the SolFX shield and I no longer have to carry sunglasses or an extra shield.

Do you know your head shape?

• Member Contributer

The problem you might find is that if your head shape fits a scorpion, not much else might fit as well. At the MC show, I had my dad try on Shoei, Suomy, Bell, Shark, Nolans, and HJC, and he said that the Scorpion was the only one that felt right. My GF was the same, but only tried on Shark and a Shoei. Different models within a brand might fit different head shapes, but I made my dad try on different models and the result was the same.

• Member Contributer

No doubt about the different shapes Yoshi...something about Scorpions that is also different, the cheek pads tend to fit low along the lower jaw. It's a very secure feeling fit, but I think it can also make them more uncomfortable in warmer climes. I liked my RF-1000 for it's lighter weight and less bulk (doesn't fit low on the jaw like the Scorpion), but the Scorpion actually fits my slightly narrow head better. I'm really wanting to wait for one of their R2000's to come out, but the EXO-500 Ardent style is so hard to pass up at about $150!

Since I like the fit, I'm assuming I have a slightly narrow head shape, which is the shape reported by webBikeWorld in their review of the RS-1. http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/bell-rs-1/review.htm

Since I like the fit, I'm assuming I have a slightly narrow head shape, which is the shape reported by webBikeWorld in their review of the RS-1. http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/bell-rs-1/review.htm

I recently bought a Bell RS-1 and while both it and say a Shoei RF-1100 are "intermediate oval" in shape I can tell you that the Bell RS-1 size small presses on the front and back of my head more than the small RF-1100. If you have a long oval head like mine I'd suggest a Shoei. I'm looking for a Shoei X-12 to try on but I know the X-11 fit me great.

• Member Contributer

Cap'n Ape do you know your head measurement in cm? I am 56.5 cm and find myself between sizes small and medium. I wish I could go to a store and try on several brands in sm and md

I really like webbikeworld for helmet info. I think I am a slight narrow since Scorpion seems to fit my Mellon well. I think my RF-1000 is a little too round.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

I ride with an Arai signet GT... I've had it for probably 70,000km and it still looks pretty much new. Can't say I notice any issues using it while riding my naked VFR. It's a long oval shape and fits my head perfectly. Honestly, the first time I put on an Arai I was hooked. Maybe there are other helmet brands out now that would fit my narrow head but I can't say enough good things about my Arai.

And for those who have never tried riding with earplugs, I would definitely suggest it from a comfort standpoint. It makes a large difference.

And 2thdr... I would recommend trying on a helmet before purchase, fit is the most important factor in buying a helmet. I also like buying online, but try to find somewhere to try things on first, if at all possible. Just my 2 cents, good luck!

My Bell Star is definitely the most stable helmet I ever had. Totally neutral in the air stream at all speeds, even when doing head checks at high speed.......... but so damn noisy because the designers located a pair of big air extractors right behind each ear.......so the helmet's only good if one wears good ear plugs.....

Cap'n Ape do you know your head measurement in cm? I am 56.5 cm and find myself between sizes small and medium. I wish I could go to a store and try on several brands in sm and md I really like webbikeworld for helmet info. I think I am a slight narrow since Scorpion seems to fit my Mellon well. I think my RF-1000 is a little too round. Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I don't remember exactly but I am also in the middle between small and medium on the sizing chart. I usually get a small and break it in with some minor discomfort for the first month or so but the RS-1 seems to be a little bit smaller than my previous Arai corsair and shoei X-11

• Member Contributer

No doubt about the different shapes Yoshi...something about Scorpions that is also different, the cheek pads tend to fit low along the lower jaw. It's a very secure feeling fit, but I think it can also make them more uncomfortable in warmer climes. I liked my RF-1000 for it's lighter weight and less bulk (doesn't fit low on the jaw like the Scorpion), but the Scorpion actually fits my slightly narrow head better. I'm really wanting to wait for one of their R2000's to come out, but the EXO-500 Ardent style is so hard to pass up at about $150!

You are exactly right , I have always had Scorpions. Lots of bang for the buck. Nothing seems to fit right after you strap on one of those. I have a 400,700, and 750. Love them for sure. Even though as you say, the cheek pads fit low, the absorbent material keeps you cool and comfy. I had a EXO 1000 but it was heavy and noisy so I traded a buddy for his 400 since it matched my jacket and fit well. I may get an Ardent before long so that I can have a visor for riding into the Western sun. My 700 was the first I ever had. Bought in 2005. Time to replace

• Member Contributer

Wrestler do you wear glasses with your Scorpion 750? If so, any issues with space for the temples?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I had a couple Arais before that fit great. Last time I needed a helmet they were $700 or $800, so I bought a Bell RS1.

For me it has the same comfort and similar features as the Arai, for much less cost. Like 1/2.

Fit's me good too, I think it's best to try them on. No 2 heads are the same exactly. :biggrin:

On my Ape by the time I hit write me up for 125 speeds the wind blast is tough.

My head and helmet are OK, the windblast hits the body.

I can get down on the tank dirt track style for a bit,

but the wind protection is not much compared to the VFR on which 150 is a breeze.

Err, you have pretty good wind protection.

For either a naked bike or a full on sport or track bike,

just don't get one with a visor like a dirt bike helmet or baseball hat. :laugh:

• Member Contributer

From what I've read the new Shoei GT-Air would be the ticket for you. I've never read so many + reviews about cutting the wind. The one drawback is that it doesn't vent as well as a full race helmet. I would have bought one myself but we have 100 degree summers and high humidity so I must buy a race helmet for venting purposes.

AGV's new Pista GP and Corsa both start shipping some time next month. I have one of those on order but I think it'll be more than you are willing to spend.

• Member Contributer

The GT-Air is a little rich for my blood as well at over $600.

I may go back to the Shoei RF-1100. I hear they are narrower than my old RF-1000 which is the only thing I don't like about it...a little too round for my head. I can get a closeout graphic for about $350.

But then I give up the sun visor...oh hell, it's back to the Scorpion EXO-500. But wait, it's heavy...

You see my dilemma for being a cheapskate?

Archived