Pnw 2014 Oregon Trail

choco

• Member Contributer

Jim Bob rolled into CdA aboot 5pm. That's Canadian. .haha.. Spencer and Jesse too. We had a brilliant 500 miles. We did the Condon to Heppner road again as well as the Antelope to Fossil route.. checked out dams on the snake river and cruised the Palouse..A bit hot but we survived.

What a great trip and fun group. Hope to see you all again soon. Until then be safe and have fun! Cheers!

• Member Contributer

Back home after a visit in Sunriver this morning, thank you all for a fun, safe no ticket weekend :wheel: :wheel:

Got home.. no tickets, didn't crash, and definitely survived, (Amen!). Had a great run between Detroit and Estacada.. Beautiful country through there.. Rolled into Detroit with a guy who just bought a brand new KTM Adventure bike and rode on to Estacada with him. That was a lot of fun!

The 12's odometer is now just a bit over 2k miles.. Garmin reports 21:58 hours of moving time with 1333 trip miles. The moving average speed figure seems strange, so I won't discuss that. It looks like the max speed of 127mph ("passing..?"),held by not me is still there!! ☺.

Finally starting to get a good feel for this beast.. Am amazed how well it handled the beating on the windy stretch of twist after the dam yesterday! Must fix the 1st and 2nd gear power limitation when running less than 6k rpm. But man do I love this thing!

I am VERY happy I went... I learned a lot from everybody.. It was a lot of fun to sit around talking about the day's run over an IPA, and BS'ing about random topics.. This group is ridiculously knowledgeable about these bikes and so many other things..We had accountants, surveyors, airplane mechanics, general contractors, gun smiths, investors, silicon wafer widget makers, refinery operators, (I am pretty sure Susan is a scientist..? ☺ ), finance guys, and a mess of other professions that I couldn't keep up with. Everyone has their own riding style, and it was interesting to hear how and why and under what circumstances people would apply their own techniques.

What was most amazing about this trip were the continuous excursions, with the same bunch and at times slightly varying bunch. Excursions on the road and off! And the skills... Let's just say the physics applied to some of these capacity/loads seem remarkable. And bringing the Triumph Tiger (Jeff!).... WOW... Who would'a ever thought it could perform like a sports bike?! I want one now!!

I have made excellent riding buddies and memories.. Thank you to everyone for making me feel so welcome. And a special thanks to Choco for setting this up.. Very well done!

Cheers!!

-Jim (Bizbat)

• Member Contributer

Had a great ride to troutdale took long way around. some great frs roads by sweet home peter Dan lake? Quartsville rd and Ended up in Detroit where I met up with Randy and Susan who personally guided me on some back roads to the edgefield mcmenamins 9, bars 9 ipa's half way done cool place! should make for an interesting ride home tomorrow, through backside of mnt st Helens.

Had a great time awesome peeps thanks lee for putting this together!

Cheers Jeff

• Member Contributer

1007 km today, and I'm back in Edmonton! Today wasn't as warm as yesterday (+37C), so I'm in better shape even with the extra miles.

Major thanks to Choco for being the organizer; the roads, mileage, and beer selection at the end of the day were a perfect combination! Everyone was a blast to hang out with, be it on the road, at the pub, or in a circle of chairs in a parking lot. Hope to make it to another meet to see you all again!

Cheers,

Spencer

• Member Contributer

Spencer - I think your ride today gets you the Oregon Trail "Iron Butt" award - that's some serious distance for a single day! Glad you could make it - it was great to meet you. Glad you're home safely - looking forward to seeing you at the next one! Cheers. Curry

• Member Contributer

1007 km today, and I'm back in Edmonton! Today wasn't as warm as yesterday (+37C), so I'm in better shape even with the extra miles.

Major thanks to Choco for being the organizer; the roads, mileage, and beer selection at the end of the day were a perfect combination! Everyone was a blast to hang out with, be it on the road, at the pub, or in a circle of chairs in a parking lot. Hope to make it to another meet to see you all again!

Cheers,

Spencer

Glad the trip went well, take care!

• Member Contributer

Home last night long day 13hrs 400 miles. Not exactly iron butt mileage, must be getting old. Riding up windy ridge caught a glimpse of a blue 6th gen going the other way sure enough it had silver side bags.caught up with Quenel and Erin while they were having lunch and rode Back with them around Mnt rainer and then to Sedro whoolley .

thanks for letting the miss fit join in and ride with you guys had a blast! you guys were an awesome group lots of new ridding buddies were made for sure, maybe next year i will get back to V4

cheers, Jeff

You're always welcome and always fast no matter what you ride!

Cheers,

Spencer

Lee Marvin says he's glad you had fun. Hope you guys join us on future trips you young whipper snappers!

Made it home safely, it took me three days to get out of Oregon I visited the Evergreen flight museum in McMinnville and then back to Tillamook, and stayed in an ocean access room halfway between Tillamook and Cannon Beach foggy, windy and very cool on the coast. Nice ride along west side of Hood Canal came around a bend and there are about 25 motorcycles in a group all were white and white helmets ........ State Patrol practicing or setting up for a parade or something I waved they waved back. Ferry ride from Kingston to Edmonds then a short freeway jaunt until I reached my familiar roads close to home. Amazing trip so nice to see old riding friends and to meet new ones. Hope everyone comes out for the next VFRD meet.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

We made it home Monday night safe and sound and even dragged the newlyweds back here for a few days to enjoy the coast.

I would like the crew to know that RADAR has solved his helmet issues (online purchase ;) ) yesterday.

So how long again till the SUMSUM 3 Didit?

So guys start saving up some $$$ and book some time in Late July or early August for next years SUMSUM it will be great.

We will open up a drop box to put some pictures and let you guys drop some of your in as well. :)

• Member Contributer

Afternoon All,

yycviffer + 2 back in Calgary. Stopped in McMinville to see the spruce goose on Sunday. That is one big bird! Saw Axel 7 drive through the parking lot. Whats up with that? Baked on Monday to Lewiston. We hit 42 degree's C!!!! It was actually too hot to ride in ANY comfort.

Also big thanks to choco for doing the organising and shirts. After all, it didn't happen unless you have a t-shirt to prove it. It was a pleasure to meet you all and now I have to update my signature with another ride icon! Whooohoooo!

Jeremy

• Member Contributer

Question for the PNW meet riders: If you could only do one of the day rides/routes again, which would it be?

I'm heading down to Lake Tahoe later this month and should be able to add a day to the trip either on the way down or back. I'd like to ride one of your routes. Which is best? (Feel free to support your choice with photographic evidence. :wink:)

• Like 1

Question for the PNW meet riders: If you could only do one of the day rides/routes again, which would it be?

I'm heading down to Lake Tahoe later this month and should be able to add a day to the trip either on the way down or back. I'd like to ride one of your routes. Which is best? (Feel free to support your choice with photographic evidence. :wink:)

Oh, that's easy.

The Bend > Sisters > McKenzie Highway loop.

First, because I heard it was awesome. Secondly, because I DIDN'T GET TO DO IT DUE TO A NAIL IN MY REAR TIRE!!!!.

My wife Susan, aka "The Flying Ant" said it was awesome and she wants to go do it again.

Arghhh. But hey ... poopie happens. :^)

Actually, all three ride days/routes were pretty awesome in their own way. They were all a bit different and a real hoot.

Cheers! E-Ticket

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

the first of a few uploaded videos...not the best quality, but for me it brings the memory right back! one of these days I will have to edit them.... :unsure: as soon as I learn how....

http://youtu.be/9CJruaa5814

at the dam following Curry, Sue, Dave, Jessie & Spencer

Thanks for all the nice comments. It was my pleasure to organize this, I had to do it after riding many of the roads last year with my friend from Duvall. Four elements have to come together to make an outstanding meet, good roads, good destinations good weather, and most important of all, good friends. It's the people who ultimately make a VFRD meet what it is and I so enjoyed meeting up again with all my old riding buddies and meeting and riding with new ones. I will get off my ass, or VFR seat, soon, long enough to post some pics of my own. Thanks for all who are posting pics, summaries and videos. Keep them coming.

• Member Contributer

More

http://youtu.be/Cwde8fprjT4

Stopped changed card followed Spencer #1

http://youtu.be/h8XEBYP_9LE

Stopped changed card followed Spencer #2, best part Spencer Raising his Hands Yeah! we caught up :wink: at about 35 seconds before the end!!

• Member Contributer

http://http://youtu.be/H3C2QeLmiE0

leaving 1st photo stop

http://youtu.be/vY1CgoOLQIY

up to the observatory

http://youtu.be/6ra2JnnZjeA

leaving the observatory continued

http://youtu.be/OVm3pYWHNlI

at the end caught up with the faster group

• Member Contributer

Tammy has posted up Hundreds of Pics and im working on some of the links for the videos

PM if you wanted links to the pics

• Like 1