Fuel Pump

I just wanted to start the season (I know it's quite late but I couldn't have time to fix that yet), I cleaned the carbs, new battery, new iridium plugs.

It just didn't start, and I found that the fuel pump's electric switch part is gone.

Have anybody changed it from here? I'ver found parts on ebay, but I don't know wheter it's 100% sure this will work with mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Pump-Petrol-Pump-Repair-Kit-Honda-VFR-750-1987-1997-/200662062249?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item2eb86414a9

• Member Contributer

grap a hole pump from a break yard.

or just bypass the pump., :wink:

you have a 3rd gen so you drive till the last drop as long ass you dont do 125 mph for more than 15 min..

that would be breaking the law,,and you dont do that ..DO YOU??

:goofy:

you MAY have to TURN OFF THE GAS IF YOU DO THIS. depends on how nice your carbs are if they will leak with constant pressure when parked.

grap a hole pump from a break yard.

or just bypass the pump., :wink:

you have a 3rd gen so you drive till the last drop as long ass you dont do 125 mph for more than 15 min..

that would be breaking the law,,and you dont do that ..DO YOU??

you MAY have to TURN OFF THE GAS IF YOU DO THIS. depends on how nice your carbs are if they will leak with constant pressure when parked.

Thanks, but I believe japanese engineer thought about this for quite a long time, how to create this masterpiece. They were thinking about undestroyable creatures that time, not like now.

(They just studied, like any other manufacturer, that making too reliable things, is not worth it.)

By the way, any comments on the parts I linked are welcome!

• Member Contributer

you are right.. but you forget the fuel pump is for HIGHSPEED..

its NOT needed unless your are driving like a nut.

it a not an uncommon mod and WILL NOT hurt your bike.

the fuel pump has been OFF of my 86 vfr since 1990.. and its STILL running like a top! :cheerleader:

• 2 weeks later...

Driving for a longer time without pump is a risk for the bike, even at lower speeds fuel level in the carbs is to low, wich means driving on a lean mixture, wich means higher temperatures in the engine.

The part from Ebay solves the problem.

• Member Contributer

Driving for a longer time without pump is a risk for the bike, even at lower speeds fuel level in the carbs is to low, wich means driving on a lean mixture, wich means higher temperatures in the engine.

The part from Ebay solves the problem.

so explain why my 86 has perfect dark tea colored plugs? thats 23 YEARS with a 4 into 1 pipe and jetted properly. :wheel:

Maybe we are driving at higher speeds in Europe. Higher speed limits and no speedlimits on the German autobahn. I have driven long distances 200 +

(75 km non stop for example) without a fuel pump gravity fed, the carbs do not get enough fuel. And i have the experience, that it is impossible to use all the fuel in the tank without the pump connected.

• Member Contributer

Maybe we are driving at higher speeds in Europe. Higher speed limits and no speedlimits on the German autobahn. I have driven long distances 200 +

(75 km non stop for example) without a fuel pump gravity fed, the carbs do not get enough fuel. And i have the experience, that it is impossible to use all the fuel in the tank without the pump connected.

uh NO.

on the 90 ,the petcock is mounted at the VERY BOTTOM OF THE TANK. all the gas will flow out.

and i have driven coast to coast USA with ZERO problems .. averaging about 85mph..

like i stated in my 1st post unless its doing 125 for over 15 min.. it wont have any problems.

• 2 weeks later...

uh NO.

on the 90 ,the petcock is mounted at the VERY BOTTOM OF THE TANK. all the gas will flow out.

and i have driven coast to coast USA with ZERO problems .. averaging about 85mph..

like i stated in my 1st post unless its doing 125 for over 15 min.. it wont have any problems.

How about 75 mile doing 135. :ph34r: I need the dammed fuelpump for my trips in Germany :wheel:

• Member Contributer

uh NO.

On my '95, the carbs starve and the bike dies at about 80 mph with as much as 5 litres (1.3 gallons) left. To ride it any further, I can only manage ~50mph. Found this out the hard way in the middle of Idaho. :sad:

• Member Contributer

uh NO.

On my '95, the carbs starve and the bike dies at about 80 mph with as much as 5 litres (1.3 gallons) left. To ride it any further, I can only manage ~50mph. Found this out the hard way in the middle of Idaho. :sad:

wow.. there is something else going on there then..either to small a line or a pinched hose..

• Member Contributer

One of the guys overseas with his frankenviffer was running gravity feed, at the track. Couldn't use the whole tank, but no problems at WOT.

Guess I'll leave it at gravity feed working in a pinch. Lots of the honda carbed bikes should have the same fuel pump. Actually, my track F2 doesn't have a fuel pump.

• Member Contributer

Ummm... Guess what part the high-speed, race-bike-with-lights VFR750R RC30 does NOT share with the road-going VFR750F? (Hint: Isaac Newton could have been an HRC engineer!) :wink:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Gravity!!!!!!

(I use this image to explain to sales how target setting works....)

post-8974-0-68680000-1378309167.jpg

Archived