5 Hole Disc W/leo Vince On 6Th Gen

NRSPTR

When I installed my Leo's this spring, I wanted as much of that sweet V4 sound as I could get. Needless to say, both the baffles and the discs with the 5 holes stayed sealed in their respective bags. While I love the low bubbly grumble that open pipes provide, the deceleration popping has always been a little tiresome on longer rides. After recently installing a power commander, I was noticing the popping becoming more prevalent. On a whim, I decided to pull the cans off and install the 5 hole discs just to see what effect they might have. Wow, I am loving this decision! Decel popping is almost non existent now. The overall sound level is ever so slightly reduced, but not noticeably so, unless you're looking for it. I am also noticing slightly crisper throttle response. As for the purpose of these discs, I've heard some people say it's to provide backpressure, and some say that its just another DB killer. Not being a mechanic, I won't even attempt to dissect the benefit or degradation of performance through the installation of these, but I am extremely happy with how the bike is running and sounding with them installed. My only complaint is that the discs do rattle some at low temp idling. I thought about applying a thin bead of RVT to the recess where they sit, but thought I'd see if anyone else had any other ideas to secure them.

• Member Contributer

Instead of cilicone, I would apply exhaust sealer paste. It won't burn off, like the cilicone might.

Don't have the LV myself, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

• Member Contributer

Paste sets as a more or less permanent solution. In your case I'd use a few drops around the perimeter of the disc just enough to stop the vibration. It is possible to remove it later, but you don't need a lot of it here, so use as little as possible.

• Member Contributer

Hi

I have the LV cans on my 2010 with pair valves removed and PCV fitted.

I've not installed the discs or baffles in the cans and have never had the decel popping since putting the PCV on and getting rid of the pair valves.

Just me 2 cents worth.

Cheers

Phil

Instead of cilicone, I would apply exhaust sealer paste. It won't burn off, like the cilicone might.

Don't have the LV myself, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I had baffles made up for my VTR1000 that a previous owner had bored the muffler cores out of. The whole time I owned the bike they were held in only by high-temperature black silicone. Not only did it seal the gap between the baffles and the muffler bodies, but being flexible it didn't crack or work loose.

• Member Contributer

I put the discs in just for the hell of it and had two people on separate occassions tell me that my VFR sounded like a VW. THEY CAME OUT IMMEDIATELY! I didn't care for the rattling that you mentioned either. No discs or tubular baffles for me. Even running like this, my girls have told me that this is much quieter than the D&D on my '97. The LV is a happy medium for me between stock and D&Ds.

I put the discs in just for the hell of it and had two people on separate occassions tell me that my VFR sounded like a VW.

A VW, really, can't say that I've ever heard a VW that sounds like this...

leos.mov

Ended up using RVT, since I already had some, to secure the disc's and stop the rattle, so far so good.

Archived