Another Airbox Mod Thread I Know.......but Whats The Best One To Do,01 Vfr800

Guest hollenbeck

I don't see how removing the snorkle can cause water to enter the air box. The air box is under the tank, on top of the engine and behind the frame.It looks pretty protected to me besides where do you think the air for the flapper comes from if honda put the snorkle on the air box to keep out water wouldn't they have added one to the flapper as well?!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I don't see how removing the snorkle can cause water to enter the air box. The air box is under the tank, on top of the engine and behind the frame.It looks pretty protected to me besides where do you think the air for the flapper comes from if honda put the snorkle on the air box to keep out water wouldn't they have added one to the flapper as well?!

No water will enter the air box, mine has never had any water in it. It has been gone for almost 5 years..

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

So i got a k&n and from the start i never understood how it could flow better with half the surface area of stock. I later found a BMC and have been happy with that, closer surface area to stock. Although I removed the flapper long ago my issue with that and whether or not to use the snorkel is how the air flows in. both sides are not the same, what type of air turbulance goes on? Seems like if a benefit was to be made it would be with some modded lid scoop and a remap. Some post on here someone molded the top out of fiberglass and it looked impressive.

So i got a k&n and from the start i never understood how it could flow better with half the surface area of stock. I later found a BMC and have been happy with that, closer surface area to stock. Although I removed the flapper long ago my issue with that and whether or not to use the snorkel is how the air flows in. both sides are not the same, what type of air turbulance goes on? Seems like if a benefit was to be made it would be with some modded lid scoop and a remap. Some post on here someone molded the top out of fiberglass and it looked impressive.

stock, kn and bmc flow about the same, with bmc being a little higher than the kn and neither necessarily flowing anymore than a factory filter. Pipercross is the only real performance filter available for the vfr800. Piper cross uses 100% of the available filtering area, but the down side is that they are not cheap. I owned a bmc for a few years and it fell apart, really poor construction on the bmc....

Here is a link to another forum with my posting on this mod.

http://www.ozvfr.net/showthread.php?3902-VFR800-1999-amp-Power-Commander

You need to do the mods as a complete package, air box, filter, PC, accelerator pump to get the full results. I've put 15,000 miles on this bike since those mods, low down punch is not a problem out our corners, and also makes it smooth and easy to ride in the wet.

There is more induction noise from the air box, combines nicely with the Staintune when you back off.

• Member Contributer

stock, kn and bmc flow about the same, with bmc being a little higher than the kn and neither necessarily flowing anymore than a factory filter. Pipercross is the only real performance filter available for the vfr800. Piper cross uses 100% of the available filtering area, but the down side is that they are not cheap. I owned a bmc for a few years and it fell apart, really poor construction on the bmc....

One would think the stock oil/paper filter has more resistance to airflow over the oil/gauze of the BMC and K&N. The BMC has alot of plastic which makes it seem cheap, agreed, but I dropped mine in years ago and haven't touched it since been fine. I checked out the Pipercross you mentioned, reminds me of the Trueflow filter I had tried on my car which did not impress me much, lots of metal there. The whole reason even swapped filters to begin with was my stock filter was chewed up during the winter and a nest was made by what appeared to be a rabbit of all things, was half full of rabbit turds.

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to to remove/cap off my PAIR valves this winter.

I remember seeing some billet/aftermarket caps to replace the PAIR valves ... but can't remember where I saw ... or where to look.

Does anyone have any recommendations in that area?

Many thanks! E-Ticket

Ive heard the driven ones for a busa fit but havent tried them myself. I yanked the snorkel the other day for giggles, its louder but im not sure I like how its louder, I really only hear it when idling and I kind of dont care for a loud bike around town. Out on the canyon im usually above the flapper opening RPM anyway so its sort of a moot point. Its been fun having a noisy bike the past week but I think I'm gonna stick the snorkel back in when the tank gets low again.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

So I have yet to check my BMC hopefully soon, but it may be possible that's its cracked. Do you have or know anyone with a Pipercross? I would like to know if anyone has measured and calculated the surface area of the webbing or metal grates, the open filter may cover 100% of the airbox but what % is filter is covered by the grates? Just curious in case I'm soon to be filter shopping.

• Member Contributer

So I have yet to check my BMC hopefully soon, but it may be possible that's its cracked. Do you have or know anyone with a Pipercross? I would like to know if anyone has measured and calculated the surface area of the webbing or metal grates, the open filter may cover 100% of the airbox but what % is filter is covered by the grates? Just curious in case I'm soon to be filter shopping.

I have Pipercross Airfilter. Whatca need ? Pic's ?

The Pipercross air filter filter area is almost %100 of the air box opening .

It does have a lot of grates and the grates are plastic .

• Member Contributer

I am going to to remove/cap off my PAIR valves this winter.

I remember seeing some billet/aftermarket caps to replace the PAIR valves ... but can't remember where I saw ... or where to look.

Does anyone have any recommendations in that area?

Many thanks! E-Ticket

I originally bought a set of Dan's (Toro) billet aluminum PAIR block off plates and they are a work of art... recently bought a set of Kyle Racing black anodized 6065 aluminum for $34 bucks shipped off eb for my track bike... haven't installed them yet but they were about $10 more than the cheap painted 5051 aluminum ones that are out there

• Member Contributer

As far as the air filter thing here's another options i have heard a lot of talk about these air filters.

Sprint-400px.jpg

heres the link:

http://www.pjsparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=733&products_id=4677

i tried a dry filter on my car from R2C. it dwafted the oil/gauze it was replacing but it seem have more resistance and just chocked it. So I'm not sold on that technology yet.

• Member Contributer

I have Pipercross Airfilter. Whatca need ? Pic's ?

The Pipercross air filter filter area is almost %100 of the air box opening .

It does have a lot of grates and the grates are plastic .

PM sent ..

I think my next mod to the air box will be to cover the entire air box with that stick thermo blanket stuff. Try to insulate the air box from the heat of the engine .

• Member Contributer

I tried the thermal blanket deal on my car. In the end plastic doesnt hold heat like a metal, you will always pull in hot air from a stop and after that the fresh are either cools the plastic down but doesnt have to much time to preheat. Is dealing with heatsoak more beneficial than getting cooler more dense air into the box?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

you might want to double check that bmc filter of yours.

mine fell apart in the air box....

I have had my current BMC since 2006 on 3 different VFR's...no such issues with my filter. Maybe mine was built on a Wednesday?

• Member Contributer

Frankin filter

whatcha got there?

Is that a stock filter frame with a BMC filter element? Inverted?

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Frankin filter

whatcha got there?

Is that a stock filter frame with a BMC filter element? Inverted?

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/65961-frankenfilterit-breathes/

Archived