Deer Vs Vfr

Guest slither

• Member Contributer

With the unfortunate deer strikes that have occurred recently, I wanted to get a visual of how quickly and from how far away a deer can be out in front of a motorist. I searched on youtube for "deer leaps road". I won't post any here, but there are a number of hits for it, including one where the deer leaps from the left side of the road directly over the rider - the deer can be seen in the bike's mirrors as he passes under it. It looks very doable for a deer to leap from one fog line to the fog line on the other side - or more. I suppose a good scan is about all we can do for avoidance and trust the rest to good fortune. Everyone stay safe out there.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

you mean to tell me in order to win that spiffy white neck bling to had to play high speed tag with a deer?

:3:

and you won!?! wow!!

:goofy:

heal up soon. and rebuild that baby!

Horrified the waitstaff at my regular diner by going on and on about how this is a great opportunity to get another bike. Thinking DR650.

MaxSwell, you down for the count as well?

As I rode to the hospital, I saw a pair of BMW touring bikes, looked like new and shiny K bikes, wearing t-shirts, jeans, and loafer-looking shoes. My head hurt just looking at them.

They didnt even give me the collar to take home! :sad:

A friend messes around with 3D animation on the side, and is pondering making a clip of me murdering a poor, helpless bambi, and having little deer chase me down, trying to kill me for my sins! :goofy: Have I mentioned my squadron is getting a new commander, and the change of command is the same day i go in for surgery? Great first impressions eh? :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

I'm so horney to ride, when I hear a mc go by, I run out side just to see and better hear it.

here you go.....

That's me! Except my voice is lower and I leave my new C-3 in the house.

MotorMike is driving me to Mecca, Aerostich, in Duluth, Sat. to pick out my new Transit Suit. Yippie!

Horrified the waitstaff at my regular diner by going on and on about how this is a great opportunity to get another bike. Thinking DR650.

MaxSwell, you down for the count as well?

Yeah, although the count is nearing it's end. Bones not completely healed yet (last surgery to redo my left wrist was 6/7/13). Doc says I should be good to go in three more weeks.

And I get eye rolls when I say I'm still going to ride, but no one is surprised! Doc says "Be patient; healing takes time."

So, Slither, I wish you great patience.

Max :wheel: :3:

• Member Contributer

Love that little guy! And no, no painkillers so far today!

That's amazimg! I was taking the big stuff for almost two months. Only stopped two weeks ago.

Surgery will probably change that. Hope it goes well. No redo.

• 2 weeks later...

Had surgery on the 18th, at a friend's house on the river that he just moved into. Great place to be looped out on percocet if I do day so myself. Relax inside watching DVDs or outside reading a book.

Have a checkup on the 30th where I hope to swap this splint for a removable brace. After that they were talking 6 month to full recovery, which will amount to 90% of original range of motion.

I will be finishing up my dicati's valve adjustment as soon as my hand has sufficient strength, so I will have a bike to ride when I can work the clutch. :D

• Member Contributer

My doc said the determining factor for when I can ride is when the bones are completely healed. X-rays will determine when that is for me.

I have 1 & 1/2 weeks to go predicted.

Heal fast.

Just had a discussion about gear with one guy during lunch, he is more of a t-shirt and flip-flops kind of rider. He was telling me how I must be just dying in my gear.

(and yes, it gets a little hot when you're sitting at a light but oh well).

Then I find this thread and yet again think that having gear on really can make a difference.

So I'll keep wearing that gear like an idiot :goofy:

To the deer killers on this forum - heal fast guys!

Nas, you can always point out that as I was gingerly my arm, attempting to not pass out on the car on the way into the hospital, I had to laugh at some riders I saw on large BMW touring bikes wearing loafers, slacks, and polo shirts.

The animals you see you probably have time to brake for, it's the wildlife you don't see.

I eventually figured out why the medical staff kept asking if I was "the guy who was in a motorcycle Crash.". They assume when someone is in a wreck on a motorcycle, that individual comes in looking like hamburger meat.

My accident was similar to yours but a volkswagon jumped in front of me. I'm 8 months out an still have plenty of healing left. Guess that's the difference between a 200# deer and a 3000# car. Seriously I never ride during the dark hours if I can help it. Way to many deer in rural NC. Heal fast and start deer hunting in the winter. Take them out before they get you.

Bill

Greetings fellow deer slayers. Heal well guys. I joined the club June 9th riding a DRZ400. Mid day 3 deer dart out with zero time to react, knocked from the bike slid down the pavement at 60 mph. 8 days in hospital, 7 broken bones, steel pates, some internal stuff. I have a ways to go yet, PT. Should recover OK.

Also good gear did save my skin, not a single surface scratch. Impact to right shoulder and left hand did all the damage.

I have been doing this dual sport adventure riding lately to reduce speed and risk. Bambi had other ideas.

Daaaaang! I've been telling folks that I would rather have not crashed, but if I had to, my crash worked out pretty damn well. Got a ride within minutes of crashing, walked myself in and out of the er within 12 hours, and made it with only one serious injury.

Heal well bro!

As far a my personal activities, I have never gone hunting, but I'm thinking I need to become super religious about hunting deer. Would be a great use for my mosin nagant... Got it in my head to turn that rifle into a project weapon. New trigger, stock, sights, can't remember what else...

• Member Contributer

Man! Sorry to hear all this deer-crashing going on.

One thing I've discovered important for recovery. I recently bought a microwavable heating pack. Much less painful to manipulate warm body parts. Highly recommended!

Will put that on the list for the next time I get a lift to the store!

On the other hand, one my numerous ice may be heatable...

Also, I forgot mention, but I was supposed to report for jury duty the Tuesday after I wrecked. Turns out that breaking your wrist in a motorcycle accident is a legitimate excuse for not showing up, even if you can't call until the day after your report date because you have to get your boss to dog through your desk for the paperwork.

Don't recommend it as a way to get out of jury duty, there are easier ways, such as behaving like a bigoted prick. :D

Will put that on the list for the next time I get a lift to the store!

On the other hand, one my numerous ice may be heatable...

Also, I forgot mention, but I was supposed to report for jury duty the Tuesday after I wrecked. Turns out that breaking your wrist in a motorcycle accident is a legitimate excuse for not showing up, even if you can't call until the day after your report date because you have to get your boss to dog through your desk for the paperwork.

Don't recommend it as a way to get out of jury duty, there are easier ways, such as behaving like a bigoted prick. :D

Makes one wonder about depending on a jury of 12 ppl that aren't smart enough to get out of jury duty......

Funny thing I'd that I had almost everyone share their idea on how to get out of it.

Heck my direct supervisor had no problem with me taking the time needed, I am in military, so I'm not out any pay, I really have no problem my turn at bat.

However between me being in the military and having an engineering degree, chances are that no lawyer on either side wants me. Heck, they didn't want me when I was just an engineering student. :D

Just realized I have some slightly dirty red gen 5 side body panels in my kitchen. Good thing I never put then back on the bike, eh? :D

Also have an intact front lower fairing panel that had a crack sewn together with mechanics wire.

At least those pieces avoided damage! :D

Just realized I have some slightly dirty red gen 5 side body panels in my kitchen. Good thing I never put then back on the bike, eh? :D

Also have an intact front lower fairing panel that had a crack sewn together with mechanics wire.

At least those pieces avoided damage! :D

Just got back from the hospital, they swapped my splint for a cast, which is to be on for at least the next 4 weeks.

Got told I need to wiggle my fingers more.

Going back to work tomorrow, at which point I find out if I need to take my excess leave. If I do, then I won't rent a car until I need to go in regularly. More time to find the right vehicle.

Will upload some new photos. Got one of my incision.

• Member Contributer

My doc said today I cannot ride for at least another month. Aaarrrrrgh! :pissed: Bones are not completely healed yet. 7 1/2 weeks after my last surgery.

Archived