Deer Vs Vfr

Guest slither

Guest slither

Sucky first post in a while, this wil be disjointed, I am on a vicoden type pill, only have use of one hand.

(this right spot?)

================================================================================

Just now getting to a computer. Sunday evening I was taking the long, relaxing way home when about the exact time i saw a blur, Ifound myself tumbling along the ground to a stop in a gravel drive.

All I remember thinking was that it should hurt, but it wasn't. Figured that it was going to hurt a lot more later, that I was in shock.

Came to rest, visor popped open, glasses gone. Only left arm was sore, slowly removed lid, right glove, stood up. Less than a minite later a white sedan drove towards me. Single female was cautious about stopping in middle nowhere for a stranger. Had motorcycle suit, no bike in sight, and my terrible humor, so she offered to drive me the city, about an hour away. She lived near the military hospital I prefered to go to. Put gear in her trunk, she talked to me the whole way back, making sure I knew what to do inside hospital. She works in medical field. I owe her big time.

Walked into ER, mentioned 50 mph deer collision on motorcycle, staff freaked and put me through trauma.

Bottom line, mild roadrash on right shoulder, left knee, shattered left wrist. Home on good painkillers, awaiting surgery next week.

Bike recovered by friend and her family inside of 24 hours, they live about 30 minutes from accident site. Have not gotten my eyes on it yet, but the one photo I have does not look like the forks survived. May just drag it ino my garage and part it out, time will tell.

Friend coming over to try and get my car running. If not, I will have to rent or buy a car to drive until I can get full use of clutch hand, and put my ST3 back together.

Photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/102123385082478318799/VFRVsDeer?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJCXhpXi3buZjAE&feat=directlink

Did learn some usefull stuff I will elaborate on as I have time.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Very sorry to hear about your deer accident. They are very dangerous. This is the primary reason I don't ride at night in the area I live in. They are all over the place. I hope you mend quickly!

• Member Contributer

Deer's do not like 5th gens! Sorry to hear about your accident & I hope you get better quick

First, sorry about your crash and I hope you heal quickly and well. You can fix your bike, but we all love our VFRs and it sucks to see them crunched.

As for Grayv3's assertion, I think it's the opposite: Deer love VFRs! They hear them coming and can't wait to literally throw themselves at them.

On a more serious note, I think this is just another data point supporting the conclusion that we have to stay off the roads at dawn/dusk when travelling in deer country. (And that sucks too. It can be quite pleasant riding in the cool of evening during the summer.)

Again, I wish you the best in your recovery.

• Member Contributer

Wow and ouch! Good thing you're doing OK, too bad about the bike. The deer are one of my main fears and I also tend to stay off the roads in the evening. It's the morning on the way to work that I can't really avoid other than caging it.

1730 time of incident, still light out when walk to er.

Car came to life after no movement/running since Jan 2012. Simply replaced battery, turned key for less than 2 sec. Had to have friend put in battery, poured in can b12. Hole in rear rigid brake line, but my flight chief says he has done that before and will help me out, I just have to get the legal papers in order.

Killed one other deer in NY with Subie around dusk. Upstate NY. Much less painfull to do it in a car.

• Member Contributer

Damn that sucks. Glad you are relatively speaking, OK.

Deer incidents are one of the few things completely out of our control.

You got lucky...I'm on the CX-500 forum & one member there recently t-boned a deer in VA & was seriously injured requiring a few days in the hospital. Glad you came out without too serious injuries! I've hit 6 X deer in the past 20 years, all in trucks thank goodness. Best wishes on a speedy recovery!

• Member Contributer

Took a deer hit some years back at 12 o'clock high. It got my front wheel and took me down on the right side. My shoulder will be separated for life and the incident still haunts me when ever I get on the bike.

Heal well and fast.

• Member Contributer

Wow - that's 2 members now in short succession with a deer strike. Totally sucks. The woman that drove you to the hospital really paid it forward - there are still good people in the world. Heal quickly.

At least you got a quick ride to the ER. Doesn't sound like it was as bad as it could have been. But surgery is never fun.

Heal well and fast. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Glad to hear that all went as well as it did. I have often thought about a dusk/night time deer strike and the possibility of lying in a ditch until daybreak when someone could see you. Very fortunate that you had a passerby when you did.

OUCH! I just looked at the pics - That left arm looks like a mess! I also guess no one would be stealing your bike since it was hiding in a misquite bush behind a fence! Heal up quickly

the folks whose fence i perforated re-wired the fence to keep the cattle in, and put boards or something in front of bike so wasnt visible from the road. not that many drive there. In any case, within 24 hours, it was recovered to covered storage at my friend;s ranch.

One lesson learned is that it sure helps to have a terrible, inappropriate sense of humor. Oh, and you will find yourself repeating yourself over and over to medical personnel, make sure you tell them everything, but keep it clear as possible. inlude speed, what you felt, feel, any food/drugs/water/allergies.

Allergies to deer is not an acceptable answer, btw, but see above regarding humor. :goofy:

Heh, one thing I realized this morning, I really hope I remember how to drive. Since Jan 2012 I can count the number of cages I have driven on one hand.

Three friend's vehicles, two government trucks. Most likely less than 300 miles between all of them!

• Member Contributer

Heh, one thing I realized this morning, I really hope I remember how to drive. Since Jan 2012 I can count the number of cages I have driven on one hand.

Three friend's vehicles, two government trucks. Most likely less than 300 miles between all of them!

No worries there. Most folks who drive never knew how to in the first place.

Heal fast!

Sorry to hear about the crash, your injuries, and the damaged bike. I'm glad, however, you weren't more seriously hurt.

Heal quickly and enjoy the AC and tunes while driving your car this summer while you're on the mend! :smile:

Bwahaha!

Part of what I never bothered fixing was the AC! Never needed it in NY, hardly drove it down here!

That will be tackled after brake line. Theoretically just a couple o-rings.

Apparently the stereo still works, and left it on full volume!

• Member Contributer

Hey Slither, Very sorry to hear this. Blame it on the animal magnatism of 5th gens. :laugh:There is too much of this going on. I'd say you got off cheap, as did I, considering the speeds. Four riders, two bikes, separate instances, four dead in last week here in MN from deer hits.

I'm so horney to ride, when I hear a mc go by, I run out side just to see and better hear it. And I cringe when they are not wearing any gear. Nod my head and think "Smart" when they are geared up. My bro in law drive my to pt this morning and we followed a couple of Ducs of a couple of miles.

He yelled at my for slobbering on his window.

Good luck with the surgery. That shattered wrist is going to be tough to get back to normal.

Hope you heal fast. And are back to riding soon.

Archived