Deer Vs Vfr

Guest slither

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found the most annoying thing so far... With one hand it is hard to pour a beer properly. =O

Also finally meet my new commander after going back to work on Wednesday. Fortunately he seems to have a very good sense of humor. After all, I did crash my bike into a deer simply to avoid the change of command ceremony! :P

And yes, I realize there is no substitute for proper time for bones to heal, I'm just understandably frustrated. Haven't even driven a cage since crashing. Going nuts. Fortunately only two pricks have lecture me on how bikes are dangerous and I shouldn't ride. Cars are the only smart choice, etc. Sadly for them they are miserable old codgers who don't have anything in their lives than getting angry at work, so I just walk away before I say things I shouldn't. They have been saying that to me since I showed up three years ago, and are using this crash as an "I told you so" moment. All i can figure is that they have never experienced something that is so fun and invigorating that it is worth a bit of risk. And are the very people they complain about. I have ridden with them, and listened to them complain about being cut off in the same trips they rarely use turn signals. Go figure, you, gentlemen, are the folks that make the highways interesting to ride. Don't come to me every bloody time you see someone do something dumb on a bike. Or in liable to jump on you every time you don't signal, tailgate, or otherwise be an inconsiderate driver. So i walk away mid lecture. Better than telling the miserable coots off in the language I was really tempted to use. And they wonder why I don't even engage them anymore, I just walk away. Apparently to them that is something to mock me for.. At least I don't find excuses to stay late at work. They personify what is wrong with government workers, dragging out work as much as possible, while I would rather get in early and get home at a reasonable time if possible.

... so yeah, rant mode over then? I tend to like most of my coworkers, I swear. One found a website that sells deer sausage and jerkey, one does animation and is working on a "crime scene reenactment", and my get well card is full of horrible jokes, puns, and one or two serious get wells. My immediate boss wrote "doe you know you are deerly missed?" And of course the threats to revoke PETA memberships, hunting offers, having my man card yanked for being hurt by one measly deer, and that is just what sticks out. The thing is a freakin riot :D

Yes, I've been drinking and posting from my phone, since I'm off the drugs...

• Member Contributer

And they wonder why I don't even engage them anymore, I just walk away... The most powerful words are no words at all.

• Member Contributer

I was reading on another forum about another rider who struck a deer last week here in B.C. Luckily for him it was a fawn. The rider was uninjured and able to keep it upright, the deer died, the bike is repairable. As in most cases, the deer seemingly came out of nowhere. This caused me to do a little searching and I stumbled upon this site dedicated to reducing collisions with wildlife in B.C. Lots of interesting stats and tips like the time of day when most collisions occur and a FAQ with tips for avoiding collisions. The stats are from B.C. and Alberta, but I'm sure there are similarities with northern U.S. states and other areas with large deer populations. The tips are intended for cages, but most would seem to apply to motorcycles as well. Even the one that I expected might be different (What to do if a collision is inevitable) offers advice that one usually finds in the motorcycle literature: "look where you want to go."

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

MaxSwell - any updates on your recovery?

Bones are still healing. Still restricted (< 5# per arm, no riding or mowing) . I see the doc 8/29. He says the risk is that a crash or fall could cause serious further injury. And the thought of going through all this again is very daunting. As much as I want to ride, I'm cooling my jets.

Thanks for asking Cogs. Old age is not for sissys.

Archived