Windscreen Extension

didit

• Member Contributer

In my pursuit to lessen the wind buffeting noise and continued quality of ride on longer treks, I am looking for a wind screen extension.

Ever since riding to the first SumSum with CVVFR whilst he rode the ST, his comments about 'raising the windscreen and the rain/wind just disappeared' its been on my mind.

Now, I'm not looking for a full replacement (nor an ST for any SA's) but I've seen a few members (Baileyrock) that have one.

In doing an internet search, I found a couple quality units out of the UK for around 80# (Guessing around $140 Cdn).

If anyone who has one installed could provide some comments on how it works for wind reduction, installation ease and general comments (plus pics) would be great.

I'm tall in the saddle at 6'2, not looking for a snow plow blade on the front, but anything that helps.

• Member Contributer

You may also want to check out out MRA in Germany, I believe. i have their touring windscreen, and I'm quite happy with it. I cannot speak directly about the deflector thingy. (I'm sure they have a better name for it)

• Member Contributer

have the mra screen with the adjustable scoop. it works great at high speed. deflects the wind upwards, reduced noise also

• Member Contributer

Yes, the MRA one is the one I had found. Have to check out Twisted Throttle.

I've got a DB dark smoke on now and it helps very little due to my ride height - turbulence hits me smack dab in the helmet.

Have to consider if I want it mounted to the DB or to the stock screen I still have.

Monk, that one looks good and a little familiar - like I've seen it before. Is that a North America supplier?

• Member Contributer

I also have the MRA Vario and like it a lot. I'm only 5' 9", though, so I don't know how it would work for someone 5" taller.

I had the Laminar Lip, which is what I believe is shown in Monk's pictures. It helps a lot and is well designed to be used with a stock windscreen. I switched to the MRA mostly because I found a great deal on a used one and like the way it looks on the bike. Either of them should be an improvement if noise and buffeting are a problem for you.

• Member Contributer

I have the Laminar Lip and a Givi. The Lip puts the buffeting right at my head and the noise is deafening, the Givi puts the blast a little lower which works better for clean air around my head. At the moment I prefer the Givi, I'm about 5'6" with a 30 inch inseam and have raised my bars so I'm a bit upright.

What I really miss is the electric screen from my Burgman, a Clearview extra large with Goldwing vent. Put the screen up, lift your visor for fresh air and ZERO noise or buffeting.

00303_gd2GeLWsKPT_600x450.jpg

• Member Contributer

Revzilla.com offers two Sport Touring screens for the 6th gen. One from Zero Gravity and one from Givi. I'm pretty sure the Givi will be my next moto-purchase.

Yes, the MRA one is the one I had found. Have to check out Twisted Throttle.

I've got a DB dark smoke on now and it helps very little due to my ride height - turbulence hits me smack dab in the helmet.

Have to consider if I want it mounted to the DB or to the stock screen I still have.

Monk, that one looks good and a little familiar - like I've seen it before. Is that a North America supplier?

http://www.laminarlip.com/

I have the MRA Vario also and love it. I am 5'10" and have the Converti-Bars elevated high. There is a marked decreased in buffeting at all speeds. I rarely change the angle of the Vario screen however, so all the hardware and German engineering is wasted. I had the VFR European touring screen but that was useless.

Edited by joeysun

• Member Contributer

didit - I've been looking at the MRA-X-creen Add-On Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade recently for the same reason as you, to help reduce the wind noise.

This seems to be the only Canadian site where I have found them

http://www.motorcycleinnovations.ca/MRA_X_creen_p/mra.xca-fslash-xcc.htm

What I like about them is their adjustability. Available in bolt on or clamp on (+$30)

I did the add to cart just to calculate shipping (it's $18), but haven't made the purchase yet.

I am hoping someone here has tried one for some feedback first.

I have been thinking of getting something like this for a while. Is there any other Canucks interested? Maybe we can get a group buy going or at least combine purchases to save on shipping. I am not too far from Kelowna...

• Member Contributer

hotshoerob, that unit looks like the best Canadian source yet. A little bigger than I was hoping for.

I'd be in for any kind of group buy / shipping saver we can get.

Need to save up pennies as I've also started looking into a Shoei GT Air. From all the reviews it does an incredible job at noise handling.

Plus, there are built in helmet speaker pads, plus the drop down shade. All for $670 plus tx.

• Member Contributer

hotshoerob, that unit looks like the best Canadian source yet. A little bigger than I was hoping for.

I'd be in for any kind of group buy / shipping saver we can get.

Need to save up pennies as I've also started looking into a Shoei GT Air. From all the reviews it does an incredible job at noise handling.

Plus, there are built in helmet speaker pads, plus the drop down shade. All for $670 plus tx.

They come in 2 sizes, this is the smaller one, 10" wide x 4" tall. and it's $20 cheaper.

http://www.motorcycleinnovations.ca/MRA_Xcreen_p/mra.xca.s.htm

I'd be in for a shipping saver kind of thing.

I did the add to cart just to calculate shipping for 2, same rate as for 1- $18.01 .

And don't forget GST.

• Member Contributer

Ya, now that's what I'm looking for.

Wonder if we could get a more than a few of us Northerners to go in for a group buy - and whether the company would oblige?

At the very least I'm in for one if you are.

BTW, you're in Kelowna? Perhaps we should meet for a coffee ride?

• Member Contributer

Ya, now that's what I'm looking for.

Wonder if we could get a more than a few of us Northerners to go in for a group buy - and whether the company would oblige?

At the very least I'm in for one if you are.

BTW, you're in Kelowna? Perhaps we should meet for a coffee ride?

Yeah, I'm in.

And I'm up for a ride sometime. Going to the Kootenays for this weekend, but I'm usually around.

Monk, do you have the Touring Lip or the regular lip? I have the touring lip and I really like it.

I have the regular Lip........ and it works fine for me........... height my vary, for diff' ppl........

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I'm in.

And I'm up for a ride sometime. Going to the Kootenays for this weekend, but I'm usually around.

Kootenays? Dude, I'm from there!

Anywhoo, trying to keep up with work at the present time - will PM you to try and arrange something.