Power Commander V With O2 Eliminators At High Altitude

NRSPTR

Question

I just ordered the PCV to put on my '08 VFR and am planning on using the M16-005-004 map for Leo Vince w/stock air filter and 02 eliminators, as this is how my bike is equipped. However, I live in Denver and ride at elevations from 5k feet to 12k feet. Am I shooting myself in the foot by loosing the 02 sensors with this much elevation change?? Anyone using this setup at varying, higher elevations?? Any other maps recommended for higher altitude riding??

Thanks a bunch!

4 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

I can't speak to the the PC V, however I do have a PC III on my '08 with the O2 sensors removed and 330 ohm resisters in their place. Last year I took it to the summit of Pike's Peak and it ran just fine. The idle speed at the summit was low, but that's got to do with the FI's system lack of an idle air control to maintain the idle speed with changing air pressure rather than anything to do with the Power Commander. As soon as I returned to lower elevations the idle rpm was back to normal. If you are experiencing any stumbling / surging issues, my guess is you'll probably be very happy with a new fuel map.

• Member Contributer

Maybe I can ask an additional question here. I have a 6th Gen. I added the PCV about 6 mths ago. It makes a huge difference in rideability especially on-off throttle. I like it a lot. I took a ride over a summit last weekend at just under 10K ft. It was a little lethargic. I'm still getting good mileage as long as I ride sensibly. I average 40mpg even over a 500 mile loop through the mountains. My mileage around town? I haven't checked but I would guess around 35+.

I'm going to add the Autotune. It will keep the mix dialed in and I don't have to hassle with a Dyno.

Question is.... Single channel or dual channel? One retailer is recommending the single channel but we have two O2 sensor bungs so I'm thinking I'd want to spring for the dual channel kit.

Any suggestions? I know several folks on the forum have great knowledge in this area. Advice appreciated.

Ernie

I should have looked at DynoJets site before posting. They recommend the Universal single channel kit. So there ya go. Cheers! Ernie

• Member Contributer

At that elevation you need to get an Autotune module. The PCV is good up to 5k feet (according to Dynojet). I put one on the R1 when I added the PC5 for this reason. I fried my exhaust valves on the RC51 by running it up high in the mountains too often. My custom map was built at sealevel.

Archived