Gps Mount / Device Mount On The Viffr

phoenixfire

Hi All,

Has anyone installed a gps / device mount?

Where did you install it? What positioning is best?

After making several u-turns on my last trip I've decided it's time to 'ask for directions' and mount my android phone.

I'm looking at this so far:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/ram-b-238-diamond-plate-base-2-25-x-1-25-base-with-1-diameter-ball-required-for-all-device-cradles-when-used-with-a-ram-arm

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/ram-x-grip-universal-spring-loaded-universal-holder-w-1-ball

• Member Contributer

I can't find the link to it, but I bought a waterproof gps mount that connects to the steering stem with a one inch ball. The glass is terrible, and it rubs against my tank bag. I am buying a RAM arm and ball to ball adapter to try and make it work better. I know this may not help, but it's my experience.

If you haven't already, look at the RAM website. There has to be something there that will work for you,

• Member Contributer

There are tons of ways of doing this - and you'll get a lot of responses with various ideas. I bought one of these

RAM-B-149ZU.jpg

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045066045049052057090085/Default.aspx

The bracket holes for the U bolt line up with the tank mounting bolts. I got some longer bolts for the tank and bolted the bracket down with the tank. Then get the appropriate adapter for whatever GPS you have and you're good to go. Some people like the mount that fits in to the hole in the steering stem, but that's where I have my powerlet to bring power to the GPS unit, so that didn't work for me. I've done about 7,000 miles with this setup and it's rock solid. Shop around on the Ram website - there are numerous ideas for fixed mounts that don't move as you turn like I did, mounting in the steering stem or mounting to the clipons. Some people also like to put them in the clear map pocket in their tankbags or suction cup them to something - I remember one guy that suction cupped it over the tach and another that somehow rigged it to the inside of the windscreen. There are tons of options.

• Member Contributer
This is what I did, drill two little holes in the windshield and through the broken suction cup mount and there it is

IMG_0078.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG

IMG_0070.JPG

This is what I did, drill two little holes in the windshield and through the broken suction cup mount and there it is

IMG_0078.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG

IMG_0070.JPG

• Member Contributer
I had something similar years back. Really liked having the GPS up high on the wind screen.

6 Stock GPS screen for touring.jpg

Then, got a smoked screen and just didn't want to drill it so I picked up a Ram Mount, installed the base ball in the gas tank bolts.

Use a 5" Ram extender and Ram GPS mount which holds it at a decent height not blocking the dash and over my tank bag (when used).

If you visit Ram Mounts website and go to the motorcycle page, there are a variety of image samples of what others have done, to inspire your ideas.

Linky: http://www.rammount.com/Products/MotorcycleMounts/tabid/128/Default.aspx#/

I think Monk has a nice Ram mount setup that he's posted pictures of. I do like the high windscreen mount, not sure I can bring myself to put holes in it yet though :-)

• Member Contributer

I used a slightly bent clip-on handlebar to make a mount for all my gadgets:

IMG_3710_zps7f4f0dcb.jpg

Comes off easy, and works with any standard 7/8 handlebar mount. There is a piece of heater hose with some washers, and a long bolt with nut on the end running into the steering stem that holds it in place.

• Member Contributer

I have Convertibars on my 2004 and there wasn't a place to put a handlebar mount so I went with a RAM ball that bolts to the top of the clutch fluid reservoir. It comes with longer bolts and spacers and taking off the reservoir cover isn't any more complicated than without the mount. On top of that is a RAM 4" arm, though it's actually about 3.5" center to center on the two balls. Then there's a RAM clip-in GPS mount that's specific to my nuvi 500.

It works really well once you get it adjusted properly. It clears the windscreen on a complete sweep, puts the GPS up fairly high but still protected by the windscreen, is out of the line of sight of the instruments and is just above my left hand. I power the GPS from an unswitched Powerlet in the stem.

post-22790-0-82504500-1373045165.jpg

post-22790-0-94751000-1373045166.jpg

post-22790-0-98432500-1373045167.jpg

post-22790-0-99607200-1373045168.jpg

post-22790-0-23441100-1373045170.jpg

Thanks everyone for the posts.

I like this idea! Not too invasive. Swfarrar, does the gps sit completely behind the windscreen?

I have Convertibars on my 2004 and there wasn't a place to put a handlebar mount so I went with a RAM ball that bolts to the top of the clutch fluid reservoir. It comes with longer bolts and spacers and taking off the reservoir cover isn't any more complicated than without the mount. On top of that is a RAM 4" arm, though it's actually about 3.5" center to center on the two balls. Then there's a RAM clip-in GPS mount that's specific to my nuvi 500.

It works really well once you get it adjusted properly. It clears the windscreen on a complete sweep, puts the GPS up fairly high but still protected by the windscreen, is out of the line of sight of the instruments and is just above my left hand. I power the GPS from an unswitched Powerlet in the stem.

I have a few Ram balls off my clutch and brake lever.

i have a bracket for a car gps on the ram, or an otter box, thats water proof. but i find this just too big

015_zpsb4c728d2.jpg

014_zpse9169f92.jpg

013_zps4eff5bbd.jpg

016_zps57422ae4.jpg

068_zps2e5aaf34.jpg

Edited by StormShadow

• Member Contributer

Here's one I prepared earlier (2005):

post-362-0-86623000-1373546778.jpg

post-362-0-01531700-1373546800.jpg

post-362-0-31940100-1373546842.jpg

post-362-0-52900200-1373546898.jpg

It works with a Bagster tank bag and cover, so in theory it is portable between my bikes (only needing appropriate electrical connections). This particular set-up is no longer in use (note the state-of-the-art Garmin 2720!) I had the tank bag set up with HID ballasts, Autocom intercom, Touratech IMO, MP3 stereo and Bluetooth phone interface, but the "sled" holding the head units was really a last-minute idea I had as I was running out of time to prep the bike for a European tour. Heavy duty adhesive Velcro was used on the bottom of the tank bag and the top of the sled--it held and has not even peeled in over seven years. The tubing is 7/8" OD alloy, the sled is stainless. As I recall, there was some bouncing on rough roads, but probably less than if the head units had been mounted to the bike itself. Location was great. Up and out of the way. :happy:

Ciao,

I just bought a TomTom which has a permanently attached ball socket with a suction cup for attachment.

It has a dial or whatever above the suction cup that you turn to pull the cup in and make it stick to the windshield.

Not sure that's a good description, but it works easy in my truck.

For the VFR was thinking about using the stickon smooth disk they include for mounting with the cup somewhere that's not smooth.

And putting it on the horizontal part of the fairing under the handgrip. It wouldn't be in the way I don't think,

but would not be easy to see at a glance. Should probably get a bluetooth headset too. Hmm. :wink:

• Member Contributer

I have the LSL bar conversion so a short arm and RAM mount for 7/8 inch bar and a cigar lighter that mounts to that bar works great. Mine slightly covers the speedo but the GPS speedo is WAAYYY more accurate, so I don't worry about it.

Edited by dalesvfr

The bolts for the RAM ball are the same width as the front tank bolts. I just bought slightly longer bolts. It fits nicely right above the top clamp and doesn't block my view of any of the gauges.

post-18041-0-27529600-1373590346.jpg

Edited by xDutchx

I have a rigged set up using GoPro adhesive mounts so that I can install/remove my Galaxy S4 from just under my windshield. I've found that as long as I use the phone as the "brain" of the ride I can have everything right in front of me on the fly (including navigation, music, speed, altitude, compass, average total speed, average moving speed, top speed hold, total trip distance as well as total trip time).

When I have a chance I'll take a picture for you.

-Drew

• Member Contributer

Wow, I thought my radar + GPS (iphone) mounts were cluttery! :unclesam:

Maybe so, but with the only connection to the bike being one large waterproof circular connector, I could unclip the tank bag and remove everything valuable from the bike in less than a minute!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I've got a Ram mount in the steering stem for my Zumo. I use a short arm to keep it low to the tank so it doesn't obstruct the gauges. I don't need to see it (though I can with a quick glance down) as I have it synced with my Cardo headset to hear the directions. I can't find a picture of mine right now, but here's the Ram link with pics.

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045066045051052050085/Default.aspx

• 4 weeks later...

The motorcycle reservoir cover ram ball mount base is a great idea. I've been looking for something like this so that I could mount the GPS and still run steering stem mounted steering damper. Thanks for the suggestion!

http://www.amazon.com/Mounts-Multi-Fit-Reservoir-KAWASAKI-SUZUKI/dp/B003CMNXIO/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1375575727&sr=1-1&keywords=RAM-B-346U

I built this for my 1st gen the day before I left for a tour to BC. I used an existing hole in the bars, bent some 1/4" round and threaded the ends. Bought a phone cradle with a suction cup mount, cut the arm off it, and threaded the cradle for 1/4" threads.post-22926-0-65134500-1375579012.jpg

Had to fiddle a bit to get the angle right, but it holds my iphone or BB quite securely. I could turn it sideways an use it for a GPS in the future.post-22926-0-49310900-1375579031.jpg

post-22926-0-13689700-1375579045.jpg

And yeah, I have to polish or paint it yet. I'll leave that chore for winter.

Edited by Grilldemon