Cool Tip: Replacing Tail Light Bulb... With Turn Signal Bulb :)

• Member Contributer

Hello to all.

I have no idea if this is common knowledge or not but thought I would share with the masses as it is sure to help at least one person out.

Fun fact: on 6th gens (maybe someone from the other gens can chime in to confirm if this is the case on other gens), the bulbs for the turn signals and for the tail light are identical, all 12v 21w/5w push in 7443 bulbs.

This can be quite practical to know as it means that in a bind (or to save a few bucks and/or a trip to the hardware store) a semi busted tail light bulb can simply be put in the turn signal housing and the turn signal bulb can be put in the tail light housing. What will burn out most of the time is the running light filament, not the flashing/braking stronger and seldom used in comparison filament.

For example: I noticed today that one of my tail lights was not working as a running light but was coming on when the brakes were applied. So I simply pulled it out, pulled out the left rear turn signal (could have been the right as well of course) and swapped the bulbs. Now the taillight has a used braking filament and a new running filament as the rear turn signals do not use that filament at all (unless you modded them to be running lights of course). As for the turn signal, it has a used flashing filament and a burnt out running filament, which it does not use anyway.

Voilà.

Hope this can help someone.

:wheel:

By the way, for those having trouble removing the bulb (I was starting to worry I would actually break the glass by pulling too hard), a quick squirt of contact cleaner will help you loosen it up and pull it out easily.

• Like 3

By the way, for those having trouble removing the bulb (I was starting to worry I would actually break the glass by pulling too hard), a quick squirt of contact cleaner will help loosen it up and pull it out easily.

That's a good thought.

Reminds me I need to replace the spare I like to keep in the tail section.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello to all.

I have no idea if this is common knowledge or not but thought I would share with the masses as it is sure to help at least one person out.

Fun fact: on 6th gens (maybe someone from the other gens can chime in to confirm if this is the case on other gens), the bulbs for the turn signals and for the tail light are identical, all 12v 21w/5w push in 7443 bulbs.

This can be quite practical to know as it means that in a bind (or to save a few bucks and/or a trip to the hardware store) a semi busted tail light bulb can simply be put in the turn signal housing and the turn signal bulb can be put in the tail light housing. What will burn out most of the time is the running light filament, not the flashing/braking stronger and seldom used in comparison filament.

For example: I noticed today that one of my tail lights was not working as a running light but was coming on when the brakes were applied. So I simply pulled it out, pulled out the left rear turn signal (could have been the right as well of course) and swapped the bulbs. Now the taillight has a used braking filament and a new running filament as the rear turn signals do not use that filament at all (unless you modded them to be running lights of course). As for the turn signal, it has a used flashing filament and a burnt out running filament, which it does not use anyway.

Voilà.

Hope this can help someone.

:wheel:

By the way, for those having trouble removing the bulb (I was starting to worry I would actually break the glass by pulling too hard), a quick squirt of contact cleaner will help you loosen it up and pull it out easily.

I just found this post after suffering a taillight failure. It helped in 2 ways: I couldn't figure out how to remover the bulb from the holder- who would have thought it would just require a pull? And also the bulb switch idea. I got light again! :cheerleader:

Thanks!

Edited by Rich

• Member Contributer

I know the front turn signals on the 5th gen are the same 7443 bulbs. I had a burnt out front marker light, but the turn signal still worked fine. I hadn't seen this thread before, and didn't even think about swapping it with one of the rear turn signal bulbs. Good info to have for the future.

• 3 years later...
  • Member Contributer

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to the OP for this info. 

I've been spannering around bikes for decades but never knew this clever little trick. 

Stray