Tire Changing In Neohio?

FatherX

• Member Contributer

Hey fellow Ohio VFRs. I'm coming off a dual sport and am quite spoiled with changing my own tires.

These whte rims have me on the ropes. Tires ordered. Where to get them swapped is the issue.

Any recomendations within a resonable distance of 44077?

TIA

• Member Contributer

No idea where to get them swapped. I had my tires changed by a guy down closer to akron than cleveland, but that doesn't help.

Outside of my last trip have had good service at the honda dealer in mentor. Western reserve honda. Could call them and find out cost. Never had tires done. Still using the ones that came on the bike. Right down the road a new shop opened up. Think its lake motorsports or something like that.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Yoshi and Snake

I called Great Lakes.

Parts guy told me $21 per wheel if I carry them in. I'm supposed to call the service manager tomorrow to verify.

If it is $21 per wheel then I have no issue with that. I suspect there will be "extras" on the tab.

I'll let ya know.

I will also call the "Lake" place.

Peace

• Member Contributer

Thanks Yoshi and Snake

I called Great Lakes.

Parts guy told me $21 per wheel if I carry them in. I'm supposed to call the service manager tomorrow to verify.

If it is $21 per wheel then I have no issue with that. I suspect there will be "extras" on the tab.

I'll let ya know.

I will also call the "Lake" place.

Peace

That is a great price from a dealer if they don't nickel and dime you with add on fees (tire disposal, etc.)

Even so, I pay $30 I think, at Cyclegear and they add on $2 disposal and tax. Seems like they never have black weights, so I bring my own. Got to get set up to do this myself...

• Member Contributer

Yeah. Make sure they don't nickel and dime you. I got cheated once like that. Quoted $35 for the tire change. Had to pay an additional $60 labor, cause it took an hour to change the tire on the wheel I carried in, and labor wasn't part of the quote. Never went there again.

Drove by to get the name of the other place. It's Lake County Motorsports. # 440-951-4400. They are new might get a deal if they are trying to get a customer base. My mechanic at work said he uses shade tree in middlefield and costs $30 a pop. But thats where he orders his tires too. Hope this helps.

• Member Contributer

I'll post up. I think I'll take the front first and see how that goes.

just hope they respect the White Hoops.

I could swap it myself if I was willing to tattoo the rims ;)

Drove by to get the name of the other place. It's Lake County Motorsports. # 440-951-4400. They are new might get a deal if they are trying to get a customer base. My mechanic at work said he uses shade tree in middlefield and costs $30 a pop. But thats where he orders his tires too. Hope this helps.

ShadeyTree won't do it unless the tires are purchased from them.. then it is 25 or 28 ...can't remember.

Thanks for the recon. I'll call Lake County MS.

• Member Contributer

Just dawned on me (after a brief phone convo) Lake Erie Motorsports ...

NO

They asked ...VFR? Is that a cruiser or a sport bike?

Painted rims? Ummm.... sure. The mechanic will be in a day or two this week.

:O

• Member Contributer

Remind me to tell you the whole story over coffee or whatever sometime.

I'm just down the road near Rider's Tavern (another local NO GO... IMHO )

ON the upside.

I talked to Phil at Cleveland Moto. He said painted rims are no problem. He just finished swapping rubber on his Guzzi and the rims are...

03%20California%20Custom%20Nero%20Basalt

$1400.....each???!!!

They charge by the hour. He said mine would be right around $70 for the pair.

Heading there in a day or so.

$1400 per wheel?! :blink:

It's not close to you, but if you happened to be in the area this is an option...

State 8 Motorcycles just off State Road in Peninsula (though it's really more like northern Cuyahoga Falls), not far off Route 8. I've used them many times with no complaints, though I'm not sure exactly how careful they are with the wheels. If you made a point of asking them to please be very careful with your wheels I'm sure they would oblige. Also, they do not charge more if you bring your own new tires in.

I think the shop has a decent reputation. I've read a few complaints from others on VFRD, but I've always had good experiences at State 8, both in sales and in service.

Anyway, I just had a new rear tire (my tire, brought in with my loose wheel) installed there yesterday while I waited - it was done in 10-15 minutes. $19.75 labor 0.25 hours), $2.99 shop supplies (bogus but pretty much standard everywhere now), and $4.00 tire disposal. I didn't need a new valve stem, as it was just replaced last time, about 5k miles ago. Total with tax was $28.47.

Call ahead to be sure they can do the tire replacements on the spot. It's a nice and decent sized Big 4 (plus Aprilia) shop, which gives you time to look around at bikes, gear, and accessories while you wait. I checked out a few tankbags and drooled over a new Tuono V4 while I waited yesterday. :smile:

• Member Contributer

State 8 is a bit of a drive, but it is a decent dealership. Lots of good stuff on the floor. Gear selection is improving. When I went to get a helmet for the SO, the person in that section actually had a clue on how to fit a helmet (and other gear). I have never had service done, but I bought parts from them before without any complaints.

Not close up by mentor area but a nice place( state8). Had good experience buying gear there. Also where i got my vfr. Outside a new salesman with lack of knowledge was easy doing businesses there. Also who i used for taking the rider course

• Member Contributer

Just dawned on me (after a brief phone convo) Lake Erie Motorsports ...

NO

They asked ...VFR? Is that a cruiser or a sport bike?

Painted rims? Ummm.... sure. The mechanic will be in a day or two this week.

:O

O M G (LOL) Way scary!

• Member Contributer

FatherX , friend and VFR rider Steve Grabowski @ stevegrab@aol.com may be able to help you if needed. He's the Asst. Director for Ohio (northern region) of the MSTA. Tell him Ann from Michigan referred you. Good luck

• Member Contributer

UPDATE

I stopped in at Great Lakes HD / Honda

They won't touch the VFR750F ----too old.

They will change the tires if I bring the wheels in. $22-23/per wheel.

HOWEVER

A very honest tech named Robinson(first name) said he wouldnt do it because... :that is a rare and beautiful bike and I don't want to be responsible for damaging your rims.... WOW. Awesome guy.

He came out on his lunch break and could not get enough of the VFR. Made me start it up, then he just stood there whith his arms crossed and smiled and nodded.

He recomended Cleveland Moto.

Front rim/tire are going tomorrow for a trial by fire. If all goes well I'l take the rear in next week.

I'll let ya know.

Annie---Thanks for the up. I will check in there. I'll honk next time I roll through on my way to Ann Arbor. :wink:

• Member Contributer

A guy like Robinson is who you want to do it ... ;-))))

I'll ask another VFR/vintage Guzzi/BMW friend (yeah, he's a split personality) in Canal Fulton if he has any "special" suggestions ... if so, I'll let you know.

PS- you inspired me to add to what's "In my garage" ;-)

• Member Contributer

Hey Hey

YES

Been busy scuffing and ...errrr...doing quility control checks.

Cleveland Moto

$79 for both mounted and balanced.

Found a TINY new mark from their machine.

Girls at the desk are great.

Tech was super awesome and happened to have the same Shinkos on his FZ1. Loves them after 1200 miles.

Dropped them off. Ran Errands with my daughter and stopped back for the pair. No drama and paid what they quoted.

:beer:

Archived