Ride Apart Article "what The Latest Nhtsa Statistics Reveal About Motorcycle Safety"

Phongeer

More than 42% (1,998) of motorcyclists in 2011 were killed in two vehicle accident and 38% (757) of these were the result of another vehicle turning left in front of the motorcycle that was either going straight, passing or overtaking another vehicle.

This is what got me. I kept wondering why she couldn't see me. But in recent months I've seen on the news accidents similar to mine only turning left in front of a semi and a school bus. I propose a law that shuts off cell phones when the internal gps senses it is traveling over 10 mph. Wouldn't mind a collision alert for those who are to preoccupied to actually drive safely.

• Member Contributer

Cell phones and driving a vehicle don't mix period! I live in Kamloops BC and we have a law in effect where it will cost you $168.00 + 3 points which is another $131.25 if your caught with a cell phone in your hand. You don't have to pay for the 3 points unless you get 3 points over a 12 month period...

I see lot's of cars getting pulled over but for me the worst is semi trucks! 3 out of 4 times when I look up into a cab a see someone on the phone! It's worse when you follow one though, easy to tell when they are on the phone because they are swerving all over, dangerous to say the least, I never follow semi's, I will pass them period when it's safe to do so. I wish we had more enforcement for semi drivers as the RCMP hate pulling them over, logistically it's a nightmare for them as well as a danger.

We have a separate commercial vehicle enforcement called CVSE and while they do a great job they are sparse in numbers.

Here are the top 10 excuses in BC for driving with a cell phone! Some are humorous!!

http://www.icbc.com/news/2011oct06-01

Archived