5Th Gen Engine, 6Th Gen Frame

MiniCarver

As most of you know who attended the 10th annual Texasmac, I've got a pretty big project ahead of me and only about 360 days to finish it. I'm planning on attempting to put my 5th gen engine inside a 6th gen frame and i've seen one guy post a thread about it on here before but can't find the post. If anyone can find the link I'd appreciate it. Just wanted to read it a couple times before i dig myself another financial hole.

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Although I don't have the link, I remember it was an Englishman on the British (or European) VFR forum that did it. If memory serves, what made the job more difficult than he anticipated was that many connectors (e.g. electrical, cooling system, etc.) didn't match up (he still got the whole thing to work, though.)

Although he spent a lot of time on the project, I don't recall him saying it cost him a fortune.

Best of luck to you.

What I can recall is this: he used the 6th gen chassis, 6th gen ECU (W/ power commander), 6th gen wiring harness, 6th gen throttle bodies and airbox, and of course, the 5th gen engine.

The (rear?) valve cover interfered with the frame IIRC, and it had to have the breather/baffle section cut, modified, and welded.

That's all I can remember from reading the thread on UK Biker's Oracle VFR board.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I dredged these up - limited help . . . the first - attempt to fit a 6th gen swingarm to a 5th gen engine

http://www.bikersoracle.com/vfr/forum/showthread.php?t=105527

And in this one, this reference . . .

http://www.bikersoracle.com/vfr/forum/showthread.php?p=1212196

"My VTEC runs sweetly with an FiX lump in, but everything else is original VTEC particularly the throttle bodies, etc. I had to modify the cam covers to accommodate the coil packs . . . "

Fifth gens have remote coils and 6th coil-on-plug setup. Mark J. Harris is the guy you're looking for that forum.

Should be an interesting project. Please keep us updated.

• Like 1

The thread is hidden away in a members only part of the site. There is something like 320 odd posts so it might be worth becoming a sponsor just to read that thread!

I got the impression mark would not attempt it again...

http://www.bikersoracle.com/vfr/forum/showthread.php?t=80779

Edited by richieg
  • Like 1

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the replies, I recalled that he had to modify the frame near the rear cylinder but cutting and welding the breather/baffle section makes more sense, thanks Rob.

Thanks to all of you guys for the feedback and direction.

He has the entire bike disassembled and is washing the mud off of the engine in the driveway now...as I look out the window he actually has the injectors off also and the frame is laying about next to the truck. I am not sure if it would be worth the effort but he is stubborn.

• Member Contributer

We are already making a "Seb pile" including a rashed clutch cover...maybe more to follow.

I dredged these up - limited help . . . the first - attempt to fit a 6th gen swingarm to a 5th gen engine

Since MiniCrasher has the entire 5th gen bike, he could just re-use the swingarm, no? Unless the 6th gen frame relocates the engine to a weird place.

• Member Contributer

I am not sure if it would be worth the effort but he is stubborn.

Perhaps this is equally suited to the TXMac Quotes thread, but I do believe my one notable contribution would be "He's not called MiniCarver for no reason."

And that was before the whole rebuild thing was floated...

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

---- Would love to see a photo of a bare bones 5th gen engine with the attempt to mount in the bare bones 6th frame.

• Member Contributer

---- Would love to see a photo of a bare bones 5th gen engine with the attempt to mount in the bare bones 6th frame.

Maybe next weekend...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I have bolted a 6th gen frame to a 5th gen engine without issue(and that's as far as I got!). If I were to do this project I would try to keep the 5th gen engine management with the 5th gen engine, and leave everything else 6th gen. You could always convert the ignition to the Denso stick coils to avoid trying to find a place to mount the bulky 5th gen coils.

Here's a link to my discontinued project bike. I would love to start another one of these days! http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/64414-vfr800-track-project/#entry755336

• 6 years later...

Hi, new to this forum and I just wanted to add to this thread that I have viewed many times. I was a Honda dealership mechanic for 26+ years and always a v4 nut. I acquired an '01 vfr800 motor and chassis some years ago with the intent of swapping into a gen 6 frame or building a racebike. It sat on the back burner until last fall when I purchased a nice 04 with a blown motor in Seattle. and after reading various threads on the swap, I got started. There is NO modification needed to the engine or chassis, it bolts right in with no issues. I used the 01 wiring harness and ECM with the 04 fuel injection rack and a power Commander 3 PC. Wiring and relocating the ECM to under the seat were the biggest challenges, but not that difficult. The 04 gauges were pretty straight forward to wire to the 01 harness. Delkevic header for an 04 fits the 01 motor perfectly, and mates up to the 04 Two Brothers system that was on the bike. Mounts for the 01 coils were easily fabricated, space not an issue. Deleting the ABS and delinking the brakes created extra space, especially under the seat. Can post pics if anyone is interested. Thanks for the great forum!

• Like 5

• Member Contributer
35 minutes ago, Hondatech99 said:

Hi, new to this forum and I just wanted to add to this thread that I have viewed many times. I was a Honda dealership mechanic for 26+ years and always a v4 nut. I acquired an '01 vfr800 motor and chassis some years ago with the intent of swapping into a gen 6 frame or building a racebike. It sat on the back burner until last fall when I purchased a nice 04 with a blown motor in Seattle. and after reading various threads on the swap, I got started. There is NO modification needed to the engine or chassis, it bolts right in with no issues. I used the 01 wiring harness and ECM with the 04 fuel injection rack and a power Commander 3 PC. Wiring and relocating the ECM to under the seat were the biggest challenges, but not that difficult. The 04 gauges were pretty straight forward to wire to the 01 harness. Delkevic header for an 04 fits the 01 motor perfectly, and mates up to the 04 Two Brothers system that was on the bike. Mounts for the 01 coils were easily fabricated, space not an issue. Deleting the ABS and delinking the brakes created extra space, especially under the seat. Can post pics if anyone is interested. Thanks for the great forum!

Pics would be much appreciated. Thanks

• Member Contributer
43 minutes ago, aztecmeca said:

Pics would be much appreciated. Thanks

Yes, plz post pics of any and all the work you have done. Thxz

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, mello dude said:

Yes, plz post pics of any and all the work you have done. Thxz

+2  Particularly if you have a photo(s) of how you supported the rear of the bike during engine out of frame would be helpful. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I didn't support the back of the bike when the engine was out, I built a wooden box that fits around the oil pan and put it on a floor jack. Unbolted the swingarm and motor which was secure on the floor jack and lowered, then having reattached the subframe I removed the frame wheelbarrow style. It helps to have an extra body.

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
On 1/10/2020 at 10:51 PM, Hondatech99 said:

This is, of course, useless without pictures! :goofy:

Seriously though, well done. How does the bike ride?

I can't seem to find the more detailed pics from the build, I'll  take some more when I have things apart again. It will definitely outrun the 07 vtec bike that I have. So far no problems and everything works great. I'm  already planning another lighter version with 929 swingarm and forks.

20191128_183742.jpg

20191201_170209.jpg

20191203_222256.jpg

20191222_223844.jpg

20191222_223835.jpg

20191224_235659.jpg

20191228_135949.jpg

20200103_203253.jpg

20200105_021745.jpg

20200201_015301.jpg

Edited by Hondatech99
Add