5Th Gen Engine, 6Th Gen Frame

MiniCarver

• Member Contributer

Any thoughts about doing valve adjustments on the rear head - with the shorter heads it doesn't appear that the 6th gen inspection port is going to line up to provide a view of the 5G timing marks. 

• Member Contributer

You don’t need the timing marks for valve measurement. Just look at the cam lobes, when the tip is opposite the bucket, you can measure the gap.

If you need TDC for cam removal/install then a piece of alloy rod or a long screw driver down the plug hole will give you TDC indication. If you use the paint method as advised by Honda, you can count teeth from the head face to the painted teeth ends. 

There is always a way if you put some thought into it 👍

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Update- Several thousand miles later, Bike runs great! Had to relocate one of the rear coils to the rear of the airbox after it rubbed one of the connectors and developed a short. Had to replace the clutch-miles were unknown on the 01 motor, and the plates were in pretty bad shape (started slipping after some practice drag race starts). Starting my next project- 02 also getting an 01 motor, this one will have a 929 swingarm and forks. If anyone is in need of a 50k mile 02 motor, ecm, coil packs etc., 02 forks and brakes, 04 ABS stuff, I got 'em!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

So loving this!!!

I really want to do the 954 swingarm on my 5th Gen, so I can mount a set of Core Moto wheels, and upswept mufflers on each side in the angle of RC51 cans. I think, it’d make for a pretty unique VFR. 

92CDB8CB-6DFB-4971-B6B7-853871530EBA.jpeg

2B3EAA7A-EE4A-4656-AF9B-658ED3E1346A.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • Member Contributer
On 8/17/2021 at 7:49 PM, Hondatech99 said:

20210815_152610.jpg

20210815_152659.jpg

Love the look of that, Hondatech99!

Have you figured out the exhausts yet? Will you need to reroute the link pipes with the new swingarm? 

Sorry for the late post - missed this somehow. 

• Like 1