Charging Voltage For Vfr Gen 6

AlanOon

I am not sure if this is normal for 2009 VFR800 Gen 6.With a voltmeter directly tap from the 12V lead battery,the charging voltage remains relatively constant from 14.8-15V even from idling all the way to 8-9K RPM.Is there anything i should worry about?Or is just normal for VFR Gen 6 as compare to my previous ride where is just hovering around 14.1V for FZ6. :unsure:

• Member Contributer

That means you have a faulty reg/rectifier. The Maximum charging voltage should NEVER exceed 14.5V, anything over this will cook the battery, so it looks like your are busy cooking, get it relaced ASAP or you will be adding a battery to your shopping list.

NOpe, just consider yourself lucky, spec is 13.4 to 15.5, I normally run 14.7 to 15 volts on my 06(average around 14.8), quite normal. Very solid performance, and I dont have any of the electrical issues, many have(over 100,0000 miles). If you were contantly running over 15 volts,up towards that 15.5, then you might have an issue. Actaully if a 6th gen is hovering below 14.4, at speed it probably has an issue. Just make sure you charge circuitry, has good contact, squirt some wd40 on them and ride.

• Member Contributer

Blimey, I just dug out the manual & Spud786 is correct. I've never noticed that before & I've never seen a charging system put out more than 14.5V for a 12V battery system.

Carzy, but that's what the manual says, so its fine ! :(

• Member Contributer

After reworking the entire charging system on my 98 she runs 14.8 at anything above idle. You just have to install good parts and get rid of the stupid a$$ connectors.

Sent from my crazy hand held thingy using Tapatalk 2

Thank for the information, is a great relief to know my charging system is work well as it should be. The recommended max charging voltage for a LIFEPO4 cell is 3.65V and that makes 14.6V for a 4cell pack. Would it cause any harm in the long run? Or I am better off with lead acid battery?

• Member Contributer

I have the same set up ^, and get 14.6v no matter the rpm. A lead acid battery will last a good long time if a Battery Tender or equivalent is used consistently. There is the weight difference, but I wouldn't say it's all that significant to the overall weight of the bike.

• Member Contributer

Not trying to threadjack, my first ride today with my 98 with a previously installed VFRness, new battery and new ricks reg/rect and I was seeing a solid 15v and occasional bump to 15.03. Turning on the brights was only a quick dip then back at 15v, manually switched cooling was a high13v. The 15v thing freaked me out, but yet after a 45 min ride the battery seemed normal temp and the reg/rect was a little warm to the touch not scalding like I have seen past honda regs. So 15 is norm then? Never seen it run above 14.09 mostly high 13's, hence why my battery was toast after 1 season.

• Member Contributer

14.7-.14.8 all rpm ranges above 1000 rpm on my 07. VFRness and digital meter mounted on my dash. I watch it more than the speedo... but it's just because it's cool blue LED. :)

• Member Contributer

I'm about 14.3, 14.4 on the road. ADVMonster meter through a Fuzeblocks switched terminal, so as my battery is always up to snuff I'll assume that the variations are in meters and how they are wired. I use it as a gauge, as it differs from a Radio Shack meter with probes directly at the battery. If I had a Fluke meter, I might believe that a bit more. If it goes higher or lower than your benchmark, start troubleshooting.

Archived