Usb Power!

JeffInFranklinTN

Back to the 1A vs. the 2.1A phone charging. I'm more familiar with Android, but I assume iProducts follow the same set of rules... Even though we all know Apple tends to ignore the rules and make up their own... but that’s another topic.

Per the USB standard, a USB port can source up to 1A to any peripheral (e.g. iPhone). If your iPhone will charge via USB port on your computer, it WILL charge with a 1A USB port. The kicker here is that the phone will charge VERY SLOW since the phone is charging in USB mode.

The USB wall wart you use to charge your phone has some logic that will place the phone in AC charge mode which draws the most current. The upside to this is that your battery will not drain while running GPS and Bluetooth apps. The downside is that you need to make sure that your charger can source enough current to charge your phone (2.1A is typically more than enough).

I'll leave out all the technical mumbo jumbo about how the USB port tells the phone what mode to charge in (USB vs. AC)... mostly since this is where Apple made up their own rules to make chargers proprietary...

Long story short. 1A will work to charge your phone if the screen is off and you are not using it. 2.1A is a much better choice as your phone can still charge while using the GPS with the screen on and jamming out to music via Bluetooth.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member Contributer

I would connect it to the ignition-switch and not the battery, then you don't have to worry about the idle-draw.

• Member Contributer

I like the Powerlet stuff, although it is pricy. I just put the bar mount BMW style on my CRF direct wired to the battery so I could backfeed with the Battery Tender. It didn't come with anywhere near enough wire, so I had to solder a couple of feet in. Then there is a male and female plug about a foot off the outlet but the rubber boot that covers it faces the wrong way so water could collect in it. I didn't realize until after everything was soldered, taped, routed etc and I didn't feel like cutting it up again so I just packed the connection with electrical grease. I've had Burgman scooters with cigarette sockets in the glove box - you would think this stuff would become standard by now.

I like the Powerlet stuff, although it is pricy. I just put the bar mount BMW style on my CRF direct wired to the battery so I could backfeed with the Battery Tender.

I didn't even think of that angle. Hmmmm... my BT came with a Powerlet adapter. Would be nice to just be able to plug it in, rather than pull a side panel.

Yes, I can be lazy. :laugh:

I like the Powerlet stuff, although it is pricy. I just put the bar mount BMW style on my CRF direct wired to the battery so I could backfeed with the Battery Tender.

I didn't even think of that angle. Hmmmm... my BT came with a Powerlet adapter. Would be nice to just be able to plug it in, rather than pull a side panel.

Yes, I can be lazy. :laugh:

Just use the pigtail that comes with the BT. Route it up the tank/seat junction. No need to remove side panels.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Bailey. I'm quite happy with the 3BR products. The real pita with this mod is pulling the fairings off. I still have more goodies to buy yet. GPS, waterproof case for the GPS and a waterproof case for the Droid Charge. OMG!! I can't believe plastic costs so much. Ridiculous.

For now my phone and the Navigon app will suffice.

Time to go pull the fairings off....again....

Just use the pigtail that comes with the BT. Route it up the tank/seat junction. No need to remove side panels.

I got a really short pigtail. It's only ~8" long, so it won't -quite- reach.

• Member Contributer

Isn't there an extra spare 10 amp wire on this wiring harness that I can tap into? One that has power only when the ignition switch is on? I have an 98-99 Honda repair manual. I don't see a "spare" wire listed anywhere in the wiring diagram.

HELP.

The 80's model Hondas had a brown "spare" wire usually located in the head light bucket or in that vicinity.

• Member Contributer

You need to add a switched relay, usually taken off the power to the tail light or front running lights. You can buy a relay at Radio Shack or go for a Fuzeblock brand distribution block. It makes life easy.

• Member Contributer

How much amperage does a relay use?

They don't use any power (if they do it is negligible), they are essentially a switch. This page gives a good description of how-to:

http://www.r1200gs.info/howto/relay.html

Again, this is the cheapest way to do it. You'll have to have wire and crimps and such on hand though.

How much amperage does a relay use?

The panasonics I used for my Nighthawks coils and headlights used 1.4mW. ~2mW is typical.

I got a really short pigtail. It's only ~8" long, so it won't -quite- reach.

You got screwed then. The ones that come with it (from what I got with 5 of mine) are about 20" long, I'd guess.

Isn't there an extra spare 10 amp wire on this wiring harness that I can tap into? One that has power only when the ignition switch is on? I have an 98-99 Honda repair manual. I don't see a "spare" wire listed anywhere in the wiring diagram.HELP.The 80's model Hondas had a brown "spare" wire usually located in the head light bucket or in that vicinity.

why not just tap into The front parking lights.. they're switched.. and that way If something goes wrong, you won't End up without headlights

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

since i have 3 powerlet cigi sockets in my topbox, i just got a usb adaptor that goes inside it.

Does this work for charging the iPhone5 while using it as GPS and bluetooth?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Powerlet-USB-Type-A-iPod-3G-iPad-Cigarette-Adapter-/230782282458?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item35bbb22ada

• Member Contributer

since i have 3 powerlet cigi sockets in my topbox, i just got a usb adaptor that goes inside it.

Does this work for charging the iPhone5 while using it as GPS and bluetooth?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Powerlet-USB-Type-A-iPod-3G-iPad-Cigarette-Adapter-/230782282458?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item35bbb22ada

Yes that will work. I got a similar one for free at work from one of my vendors. Plug your USB cable into it and connect the iPhone.

Very nice. I have a steering stem powerlet port, with a powerlet-to-cig-ligher, and a cig-lighter-to-usb. It's a beast. But it works just fine while riding. With the addition of the voltmeter, I need to install an accessory fuse box. I've found the license plate light a nice hot trigger source (especially as the PO cut it to make his own undertail kit), but any tail/head/running lights work fine too.

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

An update on the 3br USB power outlets. All working just fine. One is switched and one is "hot" all the time. So far no issues caused by installing these power ports. They are great to have with the use of smart phones, GPS's and cameras. (Contour, Go Pro, etc)

Edited by JeffInFranklinTN

Powerlet is about to launch a USB unit to plug directly into their socket, I implored them to make one and they replied they would get onto it. I'll post up the part reference number in a mo:

Edit, ref no is PAC-069, or will be as soon as it's out.

PS I do not work for Powerlet

• 2 weeks later...

Powerlet is about to launch a USB unit to plug directly into their socket, I implored them to make one and they replied they would get onto it. I'll post up the part reference number in a mo:Edit, ref no is PAC-069, or will be as soon as it's out.PS I do not work for Powerlet

I remember asking for that too. The cigisocket is too long imho

Sent from my Stream using Tapatalk 2

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

You know, the VFR 800 RWB I just bought a couple months ago has a USB port on it. I have never used it or looked at it to see how it's hooked up. Never had a need for it, I guess. Now you guys have me wondering...I think it's the same brand as the one you installed here. Hmmm....

It also has a Powerlet on it. Never used that either.

It's nice to already have these options on board. :fing02:

• 2 weeks later...

I got the powerlet USB adaptor a few weeks ago and have made good use of it since. Keeps the smartphone charged up really well.

Surprisingly it came apart on me. I wrote to Powerlet and they're sending me a new one free of charge and exempting me from having to send the Humpty one back as shipping costs from Spain would be an even greater loss for them.

Excellent customer service.