Seat Latch Stuck

pseal

My seat latch is stuck. I'll turn the key, and the lever just will not pull down. I've tried digging around underneath the fairing the best that I can, wondering if something is blocking the cable from pulling the latch, but I'm just having no luck. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

Payne

• Member Contributer

press down on the seat as you wiggle the latch it may free up the cable actuator

After many 4-letter words, I got it. To actually get it off I finally pried the seat up the best I could on each side to get out the 2 allen head bolts that secure the rear cowling, allowing me to wiggle it off the backside of the bike to get proper access underneath the seat. I was then able to actuate the latch by hand. The cause turned out to be the single bolt holding the latch to the frame had vibrated loose, allowing the entire mechanism to move around and not allow the cable to properly pull the latch. I snugged it up and also shot some cable lube in the cable, as it wasn't moving as freely as it could be. So, I recommend to each of you to check that bolt and make sure it's not loosening up on you so you don't have to go through this maddening experience!

Take care,

Payne

Hi, can you remove the seat with the cowling attached or does the cowling it have to come off first,also are the grab handles in the way if I try to do this?

thanks

Normally you remove the seat first and then the cowling, but my problem was that I could not remove the seat. Better to remove the grab handles (or Givi rack in my case) but not necessary.

-Payne

• 1 year later...

Archived