Vfr Can't Keep Up With V-Rod?

goose

• Member Contributer

The Girl rides her own bike but she gets tired on Sundays after 600 miles down and 200 to get home. She keeps wanting me to get an ST1300 so I can drag her around once and a while and give her a little break. We took a test ride on one last year and she loved it.

My novel's opening line would be: "As much fun as acceleration is...not slowing down for corners is just more fun".

KEB

It's hard to beat the ST1300 for pillion comfort. We also have a Givi top case with a back pad...she never lets me leave it off :pissed:

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Latching onto another oldish thread, but I had to pass comment.

I've had many VFRs, still have a couple and some other bikes, including a new (last year) V-Rod Muscle. I do enjoy a bit of cruising with friends on a nice warm and sunny day, but as a rule I don't like Harleys. However, the V-Rod is a very nice bike indeed, generally well put together and with that Porsche designed engine and almost everything metric, so no new tools needed. With stylish indicators in the mirrors, keyless ignition and immobiliser alarm all built in, Honda should take note. Anyway, performance...

The V-Rod has great brakes and is gratifyingly quick. Faster than most, possibly all other cruisers, but the typical cruiser rider who claims it'll blow any sports bike into the weeds has not ridden a modern sports bike. Even the fabled 'torque' is nothing to write home about. My eVo4 (VFR1200 based) would EAT it, at any speed. In truth, the V-Rod makes about the same power as an RVT1000, with possibly a bit more torque low down, but it's no thumper. The V-Rod is also about 50% heavier than an RVT and so nowhere near as quick. Compared to a VFR800, I'd say overall speed will not be hugely different.

But handling is another matter. Not that the V-Rod is bad, but with relatively limited ground clearance and awful suspension it would simply see the VFR disappearing into the distance - with the same caliber of rider. Of course there will be riders that on a V-Rod could outpace some other rider on a VFR, but that's not the issue here. With the same rider, there's no question that the VFR would get to the end of anything with bends in it before the V-Rod even came into sight.

This is not knocking the V-Rod, it is a really nice bike but when comparing real road speed capabilities with a VFR, it's chalk and cheese.

What I will also say about H-D is that they have a dedicated and loyal customer base that ALL other manufacturers dream of. Their absolute dedication to all things H-D is simply astonishing. But it does tend to make them rather narrow minded and actually lacking in knowledge and experience of other bikes. To each his/her own. I like a bit of cruising, a bit of off road, some touring and a bit of dashing about at exciting speeds. All part and parcel of motorcycling to me and I would not want to be limited to any one of those styles of riding. But that's me and a Harley owner tends to be a happy owner. Not because of any fabulous quality of the bikes, but because they really love their Harleys and don't want anything else and that's the happiest way to be.

BTW, I'm not aware of any H-D even as big as 2,000 cc and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be using any S&S engines either. That would be like Honda making a bike with an R1 engine. I guess I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

• Member Contributer

BTW, I'm not aware of any H-D even as big as 2,000 cc and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be using any S&S engines either. That would be like Honda making a bike with an R1 engine. I guess I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

yep and nope.

S&S is more like honda using HRC parts than kawyamazuki parts...as they are basically better made direct bolt on parts.

HD has 110 ci engine =1802.5 cc

buy the S&S 124 big bore kit and presto you have 2032 cc..

or just buy the 143 motor and have 2343 cc and have 162 rear wheel horse power..

now, i do know this not for the vrod..they have their own 1434cc big bore kit..

to me, i just say ..WHY ? if you love a HD get a buell motor 100 hp on tap at a fraction of the weight and build some thing cool..

like i did for my pal tony :)

tonysbike_zpsovvuns28.jpg

yep and nope.

S&S is more like honda using HRC parts than kawyamazuki parts...as they are basically better made direct bolt on parts.

HD has 110 ci engine =1802.5 cc

buy the S&S 124 big bore kit and presto you have 2032 cc..

or just buy the 143 motor and have 2343 cc and have 162 rear wheel horse power..

Ah yes, S&S just make go-faster bits for H-D engines. I see what you're saying. But S&S aren't owned by H-D who themselves don't make anything larger than the 110ci do they, whatever S&S may do to them.

Not that it matters much to me though as to be honest, apart from the V-Rod, H-D don't really interest me. But the brand loyalty they engender in their customers is to be admired and envied.

• Member Contributer

Switchblade and I have done may runs through Deals Gap with a locally modified VRod. It is a loud, tall beast and very powerful and his gas mileage is awful but he keeps coming back.

• Member Contributer

Switchblade and I have done may runs through Deals Gap with a locally modified VRod. It is a loud, tall beast and very powerful and his gas mileage is awful but he keeps coming back.

+1 I love running with him andI have plenty of great GoPro footage. The bike is not stock , the owner is a awesome machinist by trade.

And he has to be careful of the small fuel tank and low m.p.g.'s.

Lost all hope for any Harley "Renaissance" ever coming within my lifetime when they dumped the VR1000 race program.I was actually glad they put most of the engine in the V-Rod, but then knew that the future for the engine to make it at least onto a modern street sportbike chassis (That goofy street VR1000 sales program in of all places, Poland, was just set up for race homologation), when it sounded like they were keeping it away from Eric Buell to develop it for use on his bikes.

What a terrible waste, HD! I suspect higher ups in the company and their marketing gurus just couldn't stand the taste of a modern sportbike Hog and did not yave the guts to take on the international market with such bikes........ Chickens!!

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Lost all hope for any Harley "Renaissance" ever coming within my lifetime when they dumped the VR1000 race program.I was actually glad they put most of the engine in the V-Rod, but then knew that the future for the engine to make it at least onto a modern street sportbike chassis (That goofy street VR1000 sales program in of all places, Poland, was just set up for race homologation), when it sounded like they were keeping it away from Eric Buell to develop it for use on his bikes.

What a terrible waste, HD! I suspect higher ups in the company and their marketing gurus just couldn't stand the taste of a modern sportbike Hog and did not yave the guts to take on the international market with such bikes........ Chickens!!

I guess Eric was not a "Patched" member and had too ride in the back too...............

Hahaha, I just found this thread and read it from the beginning - wonderful entertainment!

A V-Rod isn't exactly a Harley, is it? More like Porsche's attempt at making Harley look better.

A skilled rider on a V-Rod can fend off a skilled rider on a VFR in the twisties. You won't be passing them.

Two completely different bikes, but the V-Rod is not your average Harley.

I would never want one, but I know a few guys who can manage them well.

Archived