Vfr Can't Keep Up With V-Rod?

goose

• Member Contributer

Some have a read dead-wish, I typical don't pay attention to such idiots.

Just look at their protective gear, only an idiot goes without.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I used to think I was quick til I saw these Frenchies go at it. First 5 mins are boring but look out when they get out of town,

Rider skill will make up for most bike shortcomings. Harley or Sportbike.

I must agree, my palms were sweating after watching that one. Living on the edge though.

I say its just a matter of time before those French squids would be sporting Citroen or Renault hood badges on their faces.....

It's not skilled riding its just dumb hooligan riding half of which were done on the wrong side of the road and on one wheel. ....

I have guys at work that bug me that I need to get a Harley...to which I respond, "I don't know if I'll ever be old enough to ride a Harley". That usually shuts them up. I just don't see the desire to ride one, but to each there own...

• Member Contributer

I remember T-MAC a few years ago, where a younger kid, mid 20's riding a CBR or GSXR type bike, came up to us at the Gap store and said that he really liked the look of the VFR. And maybe when he was older and was ready to slow down a bit, it might be the bike from him... Can't remember who it was from the group, but after leading them on a trip a crossed and back, well they tried to follow if I remember the story correctly. This kid and his buddies, when they finally made it back 10 minutes or so behind the VFR, changed their mind quickly...

Its all in the rider, for the most part... I seem to remember seeing videos of a yellow Gold Wing at the Gap... Need I say more LOL

IIRC the same thing happened a year or two ago with a bunch of SV6's and some squidly fellows.

They said, and I quote, "Wow, those old guys on the VFRs are FAST"

(and I was the slow one in the bunch)

My advice, go your own way, and give those 'patches' a wide berth. No need to tangle with them...

• Member Contributer

I say its just a matter of time before those French squids would be sporting Citroen or Renault hood badges on their faces.....

It's not skilled riding its just dumb hooligan riding half of which were done on the wrong side of the road and on one wheel. ....

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought when I watched this one...

This isn't my first rodeo but my first VFR pony. I know my bike's plenty bad-ass'd, and potentially more than my ability can handle for the time being. But I'm learning and getting better on every ride. Last weekend I was out with three other riders, all one CBR1000RR's, the lead was a part-time track bike. I managed to ride my ride and keep up, even got a couple compliments about my ability. Would I ever try to race someone thru the twisties on a bet? Probably not. There will always be better riders than me, cause I ain't no Valentino Rossi. :cool:

• Member Contributer

One thing for sure about those French riders...those were NOT V-Rods they were riding! Watching the Gold Wing run through the twisties should be proof enough that its more the rider than the bike, within reason of course. There's a few GW vids where they are on a track and passing pure sport bikes! Any group that forces you to ride by a "status" position and not riding ability is not a group I would be riding with.

I used to think I was quick til I saw these Frenchies go at it. First 5 mins are boring but look out when they get out of town,

Rider skill will make up for most bike shortcomings. Harley or Sportbike.

Those guys are dicks. And obviously they haven't crashed enough yet, as shown by the T-shirts.

ride your own ride. what are you thinking about? right now you have your vfr. learn what it can do.

lol so much debate, my view is simple each to there own as people are individuals. I'm not a brand fanboy so will buy anything that will make me smile which is what is important, buying any bike just for some ego boost is stupid. People ride dirt bikes because that's there thrill & it is a common theme with bikes & Harley riders enjoy the relaxed style of there bikes, but never discount someone who rides a Harley can't hop on some other bike & be a canyon carver. The debate about who is faster in the majority of cases is all rider as I have seen riders on 250 machines blitz 1000cc sportsbike riders so it really doesn't matter what you ride just that you enjoy it. If I was to ever own a Harley (they don't float my boat) it would be a Vrod but honestly I don't ride for the wind in my hair option so when I get to the point I can't carve up corners I will probably just drive everywhere in a cage with armchair comfort & a/c.

• Member Contributer

As just about everyone has mentioned "To each his own." I personally am not a big fan of cruiser style motorcycles and if I was asked to ride with a group of guys that said I had to ride my Honda out back and not be allowed to "Pass the Patches" I would likely offer a rather vulgar response to whomever suggested my place in the group. If I were asked to ride in back I would find another group of people to ride with. You have just as much right to ride in the front or behind as anyone else. If it is the type of ride where there is a large group and everyone is assigned a specific place and no passing is allowed within the group then I suppose that would be different. I went on a sponsored ride once in Alberta called the "Ride for Sight" and each member of the group could ride wherever in the group that they wished but there was no passing allowed once the ride started but there were over 300 bikes in the group so that is understandable.

Not all Harley owners share the same feeling of superiority and I have met quite a few who would rather ride with a group that could care less if you ride a scooter, cruiser, sport, or dual purpose machine, just so long as enjoy riding.

Get out there, ride for yourself and have fun. If you find other of like mind, ride with them.

As far as whether or not a V-Rod could beat your bike. Really, Does it matter whose bike is faster, so long as you are having fun.

Harleys can be fast as hell. Fast enough to smoke a vfr in a drag race. However the harley will have to have 2.3 liter S&S on race gas.

My buddy and I had to listen to a guy the other day saying how his buddy could hang with any knee dragging sportbike on his bagger. He didnt mean in a drag race. He swore it could hang in the corners.

I've ridden a few v-rods and no matter the foot position thr ground clearence will always hold it back.

I have a 1981 honda silverwing gl500. 53hp 530lb's. I have embarrased so many supersports it's hilarious. They get pissed when a underpowered, heavy, bias ply tire wearing old ass bike spanks their rr. Obviously the old bike doesnt have a chance, but at places like the gap it's pretty sad how bad some people ride. Emphasis "BAD" not fast.

I went out first thing this morning. A guy on a new 1200 sportster pulled up beside me we dis a 2nd gear launch thru 4th. My ancient heavy bike beat him by 2 lengths.

It really is the rider.

I have ridden with yellowwolf a few times. The yellow vfr guy. It was about all I could do to stay with. Didnt have much in reserve. I lead and pulled away a good bit.

But... it isn't flat black, what's taking so long Mr. Officer Sir?

Maybe I'm kinda weird, but I frequently prefer the inexperienced guy (or gal!) in front of me rather than behind me. Mind you I normally only ride with one or two other people at a time. Namely the first time I took a new rider out for some twisties, I took him out for a ~300 mile day, not realizing he had only ridden about 200 miles previously. By the end, I made him go in front, and wait for me to signal if we were going to turn, because he was getting tired and sloppy with his technique. If I had had him in front of me, I could still have hung behind, and in between "spirited" spurts, I could have put in more stops/shortened the day.

If there is a disciplined good rider to stay in front, for them to watch and learn from, that's also good.

Maybe I'm kinda weird, but I frequently prefer the inexperienced guy (or gal!) in front of me rather than behind me.

There are maybe 2 people on this earth that I can ride 5 inches away from and have NO worries. Other than that, like they say. behind you they are a threat, in front of you, they are entertainment.

They aren't a threat when you leave them far behind, unfortunately they may try to keep up and get out of their comfort zone...

Despite outward appearances, I don't ride with people I don't care about... I'm generally a caring guy. Don't want to see anyone get into something they can't handle.

• Member Contributer

I have guys at work that bug me that I need to get a Harley...to which I respond, "I don't know if I'll ever be old enough to ride a Harley". That usually shuts them up. I just don't see the desire to ride one, but to each there own...

Do they ever give you a reason or reasons, as to why they would suggest, "You need to get a Harley" I just don't understand why most Harley owners believe Hardley Ablesons are "real" motorcycles. Why would I want a loud, shaking and vibrating, handles like a dumptruck motorcycle? I've ridden a couple in my lifetime....not impressed. "My 83 Shadow is so much more enjoyable to ride than this pig." was my thought everytime I rode one.

• Member Contributer

Maybe I'm kinda weird, but I frequently prefer the inexperienced guy (or gal!) in front of me rather than behind me.

There are maybe 2 people on this earth that I can ride 5 inches away from and have NO worries. Other than that, like they say. behind you they are a threat, in front of you, they are entertainment.

Behind you they are a missile hazard, in front of you they are an obstacle...

Temecula is the V-rod capitol of the world... I light them up all the time. The last time I dragged one I was two up with my girlfriend on the back on Winchester Rd... got him by several bike lengths the first run and duplicated the same result on the second run... he didn't even try on the third light. I'm 260... my GF is 150... Skid lid looked about 200 or so, Weight differential was probable pretty close.

Had the road been twisty it would have been even more embarassing... he wouldn't be able to hang past corner one.

• Member Contributer

Why does it matter whose bike is faster ? Because some people want to know, and others want to show those who don't know how wrong they are LOL.

• Member Contributer

Why does it matter whose bike is faster ? Because some people want to know, and others want to show those who don't know how wrong they are LOL.

Sorry never seen a Harley beat me in anything.

Those "bikes" simply suck and don't deserve the name.

Here in Europe most of them don't even greet other bikers, as they feel themselves too good to greet anything but Harley.

I do not care about those idiots anymore, nor do I wave at them.

And sorry, I do not see them beat a VFR800Fi or even an GSX750F on a drag-race, I tried plenty (at the traffic lights) and none ever beat me.

I did try a few real racers, like the F1 and GSX1000R, and yes it took everything from my bikes to keep up.

But a Harley? No, not ever. Sorry Harley is a dumb machine with loads of CC's and weights a ton but no power worth mentioning.

Harley versus racers is a non issue, simply not there.

Archived