All Balls Front Wheel Bearings And Seals

Duc2V4

• Member Contributer

Since I have an 8 spoke coming in next week and I'm going to have it powder coated, I'll need to match the front wheel at the same time, which means removing the seals and bearings. This also means replacing them with new ones (might as well), so the question is, should I just get OEM or go with the All Balls kit? I'm going to do the taper steering bearings, so thought two birds, one stone. Any suggestions one way or the other?

BTW, I believe I'll be going with a Gold Metallic color on the rims...

Cheers!

I have changed out lots of sets, they are great bearings,

If they are great bearings you should hardly have to change them that often :wink:

All Balls is just a reseller isn't it?

For the head bearings I don't care much about the manufacturer, but for e.g. wheel bearings I prefer bearings from a reputable brand like SKF or FAG.

Guest daemontrym

+1 one

I did the same thing you did when I had to replace fork seals in my Gen 4. I have had all balls fork seals, front wheel bearings, and steering head bearings installed for 2 years now without issues.

• Member Contributer

Cool, thanks for the responses. I always hate to assume but that's what I figured. It's just that some manufacturers make really good products for certain applications and the others king of fall short...Look at the VFR, awesome bike, not sure about those other Honda products! ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

OK, the train derailment and possible alien abduction didn't stop UPS from doing their job and I received the All Balls wheel and steering head bearings today. I was able to remove the bearings and seals and the wheel is now at the shop getting powder coated. So the question is, what is the best way to get the new bearings installed? Back when I had a "full service" shop at my disposal, I used a bearing press. I recall putting the bearings in the freezer before installing them but it has been a long time since I've dealt with wheel/axle bearings. I'm sure a hammer and some elbow grease will get the job done, but I don't want to a) Damage the bearings/seals b) Damage/chip the newly coated wheel. There's a shop where I can take it that is really close and where I'll taking it to get the tire mounted, but part of my project is doing most of the work myself. Heck, I went out and bought a bearing puller set and a front bike stand just so I could get this far...I just don't have much room for a bearings press! :unsure:

I know everyone loves these guys because they have "BALLS" in their title, but the last time I bought from them, they provided Chinese KML bearings.

Honestly, if you have the bearing number, you can cross reference it to a japanese NSK or german FAG bearing. [Vince offer] "BECAUSE YOU KNOW THE GERMANS MAKE GOOD STUFF RIGHT???"[/Vince Offer]

Not sure how the pricing compares to OEM these days (which are usually NACHI in a Honda box) but when I bought stuff back 20 years ago, the equivalent NTN or NSK bearings from an industrial supply house were like 1/3 of OEM $$$

• Member Contributer

You're on the right track with freezing the bearings. That's the first step, then have a driver that is a little smaller than the OD of the bearing. A little anti-seize on the ID of the wheel bore, and gently drive the bearing into the wheel. Make absolutely sure you're square to the opening so you don't get the bearing started at an angle. And most of all: don't forget the spacer between the bearings. Make sure your wheel is supported on a non-scratch surface and you should be golden.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I know everyone loves these guys because they have "BALLS" in their title, but the last time I bought from them, they provided Chinese KML bearings. Honestly, if you have the bearing number, you can cross reference it to a japanese NSK or german FAG bearing. [Vince offer] "BECAUSE YOU KNOW THE GERMANS MAKE GOOD STUFF RIGHT???"[/Vince Offer]Not sure how the pricing compares to OEM these days (which are usually NACHI in a Honda box) but when I bought stuff back 20 years ago, the equivalent NTN or NSK bearings from an industrial supply house were like 1/3 of OEM $$$

I personally don't care what's part of their name, my original intention was to get the tapered roller bearings from them as it seems like most of the kits members are putting in are the All Balls kits, figured I would order the wheel bearings at the same time. As far as bearings go, I'll have to agree that German bearings are some of the best, at least when it came to my skateboard wheel bearings all those years ago!

• Member Contributer

Go somewhere that sells tools and buy a large socket that is the same diameter as the outside race of the bearing. Then put the bearing in the freezer for a few hours and just before you go to install use a heat gun to heat up the wheel hub which will allow the metal to expand a bit. Place the bearing in the hub and then use the socket and hammer to drive the new bearing in.

Rollin

• Member Contributer

I use this set from Harbor Freight for installing bearings.

image_21572.jpg

I picked this kit up today for $25 (I had a 20% off coupon). Of course after I did, I recalled how I did the swing arm bearings on my ATC250 before I had access to the bearing press. I used a nut, bolt and washer(s) setup and just cranked the nut and bolt "pulling" the bearing into place. Oh well, it was quicker and easier to just run into HF and grab this off the shelf!

Well, If anyone needs bearings pulled and/or seated, I have the tools, just give me a heads up when you want swing by to use em.

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

They are made by U.S. General. Aren't they made in the U.S.? :goofy:

You mean like these? :laugh:

made_in_USA_NOT.jpg

LOL! This is classic! I bet their support call center is in Albuquerque, NM so you think you're getting the real deal!

• Member Contributer

That is just downright dishonest...not that it's a big deal, but just the principle!