Vf500F 17" Wheel Conversion Using Cbr600F Wheels

InvisibleCities

I too am going to convert my 86 VF500F2F to 17 inch wheels. I really like the look of what IC has done with the F1 wheels but the choice of rubber is far greater with the F2. If I have read it right you lose the centre stand with the F2 conversion but can keep it with the F1?

The biggest issue I have at the moment is the rear caliper. and carrier options. I see that some have used a VTR1000 (Superhawk) carrier and caliper. These seem to be the same as later model CBR600 (F4?) and can be found on Ebay really easily.

The question I have is does the VF500 rear caliper fit onto the VTR/Superhawk carrier or must I use the VTR caliper too?

(My VF500 is in very good condition so I would like to use as much of the original bike as possible. The various new spacers and cush drive machining I can handle OK)

with either F1 or f2 wheels, I am using a 600 hurricane brake hanger because it works and I have one.

OK, thanks for that. They seem to be plentiful on Ebay too. How will you stop it rotating when you apply the brakes? Will you fashion some kind of torque arm attached to the swingarm? (Can you confirm the VF500 caliper fits this hanger or do you plan on using an alternative?)

My hanger has the torque arm still attached. I will lash it on there somewhere (there are many options) I think the vf caliper fits, but I havent checked because I have a hurricane caliper on it. Here is a recent mock up

112_8764_zpsf505cb59.jpg

IC: can you please expound on the front? I'm not understanding where the plastic sleeves you used were placed. Thanks

Hope this is of help:

are you saying that after I put 500 bearings in the 600 wheels there is still space to make up when using the 500 axle?

• Member Contributer

I did this to mine in 2001 according to the picture date stamp, so here's some pics from that time. To make a torque arm for the rear brake, I just drilled a 10mm hole through the swingarm & put a steel bush in it with an 8mm bolt. Then made a short torque arm to run from the caliper to the bolt head inside the swingarm. Dirty but effective :)

vfrightside1.jpg

vfleftside1.jpg

There's a bunch more via this link in my imageshack gallery. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/855/vfrsrearwheel.jpg/

Including before & after shots.

Many thanks for those. Although I can't see from the pictures where you drilled the hole? Did your arrangement allow for the wheel to move back and forth to permit chain tensioning?

I think I can see you used the VF caliper? Your bike looks pretty much like mine except for the Predator exhaust (and wheels of course).

• Member Contributer

IC: can you please expound on the front? I'm not understanding where the plastic sleeves you used were placed. Thanks

Hope this is of help:

are you saying that after I put 500 bearings in the 600 wheels there is still space to make up when using the 500 axle?

The UHMD sleeve makes the transition between the VF500F speedo drive and the CBR600F dust seal.

vf500fcbr600fwheelconversionfrontwh.jpg

For reference a few additional photos of the custom rear brake caliper carrier installed with the 17" CBR600F wheel:

dspbracket07-05-10.jpg

brakecaliper03_zps055f7897.jpg

brakecaliper02_zpsbcf8a8dd.jpg

brakecaliper01_zps589a50a2.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

My hanger has the torque arm still attached. I will lash it on there somewhere (there are many options) I think the vf caliper fits, but I havent checked because I have a hurricane caliper on it. Here is a recent mock up112_8764_zpsf505cb59.jpg

I know this is old and I don't know how far you got but finding the best anchor spot on the frame instead of the swingarm would give you a "floating" calliper which has less affect on the suspension.

post-2080-0-05921700-1427891254.jpg

• Member Contributer

I used the 600 caliper & mount which is why it requires a stay arm, the 500's has a sliding lug like the custom one shown above. As far as I can remember the only thing needed was a spacer on one of the axles, the front just bolts in.

My old bike is for sale by the mate I sold it to, for approx £1000. I've not seen it for over ten years, so no idea how well he's kept it, I know it didn't get a lot of use & he might have dropped it. If you are interested & in the UK, PM me & I'll put you in touch. He lives near Guildford IIRC.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting even I know I will keep the stock wheels on my bike for a given reason. These CBR wheels (be it F1 or F2) give a broader range of tire choices, 5 makers at the moment for the stock wheels, Metzeler Lastertec, Bridgestone BT45, Pirelli SportDemon, Heidenau K65 and Kenda K671F/K657....

I did the 17inch conversion in 2013 and posted earlier in the thread.. As virtually everyone who does it will testify, it's a great mod to do. The 16/18inch wheels are not bad but my F2 wheels with modern rubber put the handling into a different (better) category.

• Member Contributer

VFRbert has a stash of RC24 wheels. So if they fit, you can stop by his place as you head north, strap one one the back..... :-)

VFRbert has a stash of RC24 wheels. So if they fit, you can stop by his place as you head north, strap one one the back..... :-)

Wrong size, they're all 18-16 inch original rc24 sets. The 17 inch set is only available with a bike bolted on them, for the right price :goofy:

Keny is off course always welcome for a cup of coffee on his trip back home.

Wrong size, they're all 18-16 inch original rc24 sets. The 17 inch set is only available with a bike bolted on them, for the right price :goofy:

Keny is off course always welcome for a cup of coffee on his trip back home.

Thanks, Bert!

If I change to the longer ferry, shorter ride I do have time to ride by yours!

I let you know

Archived