Vf500F 17" Wheel Conversion Using Cbr600F Wheels

InvisibleCities

• Member Contributer

This is an old post from another forum but I thought I would repost here for those interested. (originally posted 06/10)

I've been working on a 17" wheel conversion for my '84 VF500F and thought I would post the progress that I've made on this project.

As a first step I worked with my friend Rick Denoon in Winnipeg Canada (I'm located in New York) on the design drawings.
Rick has some serious skills in motorcycle design and has been featured in Classic Motorcycle Magazine for his beautiful custom CB400F. Here is a link to his website:
In talking it over with Rick I decided to go with a set of CBR600F Hurricane wheels as I felt this was the best option for what I wanted out of the project.
The design process started in the Fall of last year with a series of SolidWorks models.
front and rear wheel exploded parts drawings
vf500fcbr600fwheelconversionfrontwh.jpg
vf500fcbr600fwheelconversionrearwhe.jpg
an early design drawing for the rear brake carrier with a Brembo caliper
vf500fcbr600fwheelconvrearbrakecarr.jpg
Brembo caliper and carrier from a Ducati 999 - purchased as a used part on eBay. The caliper will be mounted on a new carrier - machined by Denoonsp.
brembocorefromducativfrworld.jpg
design drawing of the custom rear brake carrier with the Brembo caliper - additional holes to be drilled in stock CBR600F rotor
vf500fcbr600frearbrakecarrierandcal.jpg
CBR600F brake rotor - drilling pattern
rearbrakerotorvfrworld.jpg
rake and trail – 27 degrees 104mm trail
110-70F140-80Rvfrworld05-08-10.jpg
From here I put together a shopping list and headed on over to eBay, McMaster Carr and David Silver Spares.
a roundup of purchased parts:
CBR600F front & rear rims - repainted
CBR600F cush drive - machined
CBR600F rear brake rotor - w/ additional cross drilled holes
CBR600F rear brake rotor bolts - renewed finish
Brembo caliper from a Ducati 999
VF500F front brake rotors - w/ cross drilled holes
CBR600F rotor bolts - front wheel
6302 wheel bearings (2 total) - front wheel
6303 wheel bearings (2 total) - rear wheel
CBR600F dust seal - 91258-ML7-003 - front wheel
VF500F dust seal - 91252-MC7-003 - front wheel
CBR600F oil seal - P91252-MC4-013 - rear wheel
CBR600F dust seal - 91253-443-762 - rear wheel
Avon AM26 Roadrider 110/70-17 - front
Avon AM26 Roadrider 140/80-17 - rear
stock parts to be re-used:
VF500F front and rear sprockets & mounting hardware
VF500F 530 chain
VF500F front brake carriers & calipers
VF500F front and rear axles
VF500F speedo drive
In addition to the parts list Rick Denoon helped with the machining of the custom parts.
custom parts list:
Front Wheel:
wheel bearing spacer inserts
UHMD sleeve for speedo drive
Rear Wheel:
machined spacer btwn cush drive and swingarm
machined spacer btwn rotor and caliper carrier
custom caliper carrier
machined spacer btwn caliper carrier and swingarm
Once all the parts were assembled it was time to get the new wheels mounted!
a few of the parts - OEM dust seals, used cush rubber, machined spacers, custom rear brake carrier & Brembo caliper and machined cush drive
vf500dspconversionmiscparts-1.jpg
front wheel comparison - new CBR600F wheel on the right (stock rotors have been cross drilled)
vf500fvscbr600ffrontwheels05-29-10.jpg
rear wheel comparison - CBR600F wheel on the right (note the different designs for the cush drive)
vf500fvscbr600frearwheels05-29-10.jpg
machined CBR600F cush drive
cbr600fmachinedcushdrive05-29-10-1.jpg
CBR600F rear wheel with custom cross drilled CBR600F rotor
rearrotoranddustseal05-29-10.jpg
CBR600F rear wheel with re-used stock VF500F rear sprocket
rearsprocketanddustseal05-29-10.jpg
wheels off!
vf500fwheelsoff05-29-10.jpg
Mityvac - a must have tool
vf500fbleedingrearbrakeline.jpg
removing the front brake lines
vf500ffrontbrakelines.jpg
test fit for the rear wheel - plenty of clearance between the rear tire and the swingarm
vf500dsprightsideswingarmclearance.jpg
left side clearance between the centerstand and the tire
vf500dspleftsidecenterstandclearanc.jpg
a bit tighter on the right side but it does clear
vf500dsprightsidecenterstandclearan.jpg
adjusting the stock 530 chain - stock front and rear sprockets
vf500dsprearwheelleftsidemtdchainde.jpg
CBR600F front wheel on
vf500dsprightsidefrontwheelmtd.jpg
CBR600F rear wheel on
vf500dsprightsiderearwheelmtd.jpg
overall photo of the right side
vf500dsprightsideoverallphoto.jpg
detail photo of the left side front wheel
vf500dspleftsidefronttiremtd.jpg
Next up - the installation of the front and rear braided stainless brake lines...

you can get 110 140 radials

I havent done any measuring, but.......if it is as simple as lashing down this brake stay, locating the sprocket and spinning up a spacer, then I am ahead of the game.

112_8764_zpsf505cb59.jpg

112_8766_zps668caa52.jpg

112_8765_zps896a1f32.jpg

• Member Contributer

THANK YOU!

Did I or did I not tell you IC was the man.

Great pics and info IC. Those wheels look great in that color.

IC, can you shim out the front sprocket and use the stock 600's cush drive as an alternative to machining the 600's cush to align the chain?

Kel wrote:

"With the F2 rear wheel, you can either use the stock 500 cush or a machined F2 cush. Wih the 'Cane rear, you need a machined 'Cane cush BUT...I asked IC in another thread if you can just shim the front sprocket and leave the cush as is. I guess it depends on how much room you have behind the front sprocket cover"

does this mean a 500 hub in the F1 wheel gives me alignment? (not including spacers)

• Member Contributer

does this mean a 500 hub in the F1 wheel gives me alignment? (not including spacers)

The 500 cush won't fit in the 'Canes wheel, 500 has 5 sets of rubbers...'Cane uses 4. The 500 does it in the F2's wheel. I used a 500 cush for many a hard mile on my R's F2 swap with no problems...much easier/cheaper than machine work.

preliminary measurement says that it is really close. Since I'm using the Hurricane caliper holder, I have the luxury of the rotor ending up wherever it goes. I need to get real numbers because I don't wanna make the mistake of just getting the chain to line up and dismissing where the wheel actually is. My head hurts..

Hey IC, any chance you can get me dimensions from you bike?

• Member Contributer

I did this to my 500 way back in 98, just need both CBR600 wheels, Cush & rear brake/carrier. You can use a 130/90 rear tyre to get the lost rear ride height back & push the forks up 5-10mm through the yokes. To connect the rear brake stay, I made a short torque arm from some 6mm alloy & just drilled a 10mm hole through the centre of the right side of the swingarm & fitted a 1mm walled steel bushing & an 8 mm bolt to connect the torque arm. Job done. I've got pics somewhere, but as it was so long ago, I'd have to search for them.

• Member Contributer

Great pics and info IC. Those wheels look great in that color.

IC, can you shim out the front sprocket and use the stock 600's cush drive as an alternative to machining the 600's cush to align the chain?

Too kind, Kel! Very high praise from the fella that built one of the best kRs out there!

Shimming the front sprocket is a good idea but I have a hunch the inside clearance to the cover may be too tight...

As for mounting a 110/70-17 on a stock CBR600F1 (Hurricane) front wheel, that is just 2,50 wide, I dont recomend it, it makes the profile to sharp in the sides and dont handle that well. I had a 110/70 on a F1 wheel front o my old 750f, and didnt like it. I perfer a 110/80-17 that has higher sides. Ok, it makes the owerall diameter of the front wheel bigger, so if you like to have a smaller OD use a 100/80-17 front tire. The stock is just 100 wide as well.

As for rear the 140/70 is spot on and also have a big OD to compensite from the stock 18" wheel

i'm yet to the point where I have to worry about tyre sizes, but I am writing all of this stuff down, thanks. I keep waffling between the F1 and the F2 swap. they both have advantages and drawbacks, but I do have the F1 wheels in hand at he moment, so for now, they are the choice. This may change.

an option a hadn't thought about:

What if I were to place a VF750F front end on the miniceptor? I wouldnt have to machine F2 wheels in that case and I happen to have at least 2 of them laying about.

If there is something prohibitive in this, pardon my uselessness.

and sorry about the waffling.....I HAVE Hurricane wheels and I MAY have F2 wheels soon, so I am sorta thinking them both out at the same time.

You won't have to machine the wheel, but you will need to machine the speedo drive and a wheel spacer.

I might be willing to take mine apart and measure/duplicate...

• Member Contributer

I believe you (i have seen your shop) but I still don't get why the wheel spacers change when the triples don't

Because the F2 wheel is wider than the F wheel. Wheel spacer needs to be cut down and the speedo drive gets milled down, and gets a ring added on the wheel side to fit in the space of the larger F2 speedo drive.

Archived