Replacing Steering Head Bearings With Roller Bearings?

• Member Contributer

or you can try Arkansas...they are having a ride in June I think...

I usually use a stone and then emery cloth but I think you already know about most of that stuff.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Personally I would avoid the emery paper/cloth, as the abrasive particles (aluminum oxide) can become embedded in what you're polishing if you get past the chrome. The stone will allow you to feel any high spots/nicks that you won't feel with the emery paper/cloth. That;s the way we always did anyway. My $.02 worth. :beer:

• Member Contributer

A good hard Arkansas stone will take down any nicks without adding scratches. Just be sure it's a fine, hard stone.

Or you could use the stones you grow while riding in the Smokies. Mine were much harder after a week of riding there. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

A good hard Arkansas stone will take down any nicks without adding scratches. Just be sure it's a fine, hard stone.

Or you could use the stones you grow while riding in the Smokies. Mine were much harder after a week of riding there. :goofy:

:beer:

• Member Contributer

Personally I would avoid the emery paper/cloth, as the abrasive particles (aluminum oxide) can become embedded in what you're polishing if you get past the chrome. The stone will allow you to feel any high spots/nicks that you won't feel with the emery paper/cloth. That;s the way we always did anyway. My $.02 worth. :beer:

good point on the emery cloth, i never thought of that but do clean the tubes thoroughly with brake clean or carb cleaner afterwards...

I'll let you know what I end up at for fork tube above triple measurement...I think you go 10-12 mm to start with no problem, it wont feel like a chopper anymore.. :goofy:

Ok, I'm at 50mm from the triple to the top of the fork tube (not the top of the cap). I haven't ridden in the mountains yet, but the bike feels much better at that height around town with the newly rebuild forks and shock. I was actually toying with going a little more, but it seems like the brake and clutch master cylinder will start hitting the top of the fork tubes unless I pull the Heli-bars up on the tubes a little (away from the upper triple). How does everyone else make those things clear when your tubes are so high above the triple?

• Member Contributer

OK...for the record 71mm does not work for hefty guys...I guess the only way MiniCarver has been getting away with 68mm of tube showing is even if he were sitting on the tank with the rear wheel a foot in the air it would not fully compress his forks.

I am now back to 113mm from fork seal to lower triple and with 120 mm of VFR travel I may have to up it a smidge more.

That leaves me with 57mm from top of top triple to circ clip on fork...will be setting sag later today and may have my first REAL ride with new 98 later this week.

Archived