Front Forks Swap

Guest navas

Guest navas

Have searched the interwebz trying to find what exactly would be needed for a fork swap on a 4th gen. I have found a lot of information but nothing really telling me what parts would be needed other that the obvious forks. I'm looking to swap out for a 954 or an R1

From reading around it appears that the 954 would drop the front end is that true? Is it avoidable?

What parts would I need for the 954 swap?

What parts would I need for R1 swap?

My 4th gen is already naked if it makes any difference.

In short, you need the entire front end from the donor bike, and you will likely have to change out the triple's. Thats the simple way. Other than that, trying to adapt your wheel/rotors and whatnot will require some fabrication work.

Can't speak to the R-1, but all years of RC51 forks, wheel and brakes will work, but only the SP1 lower triple will work. SP2 has too large a diameter steering stem.

Use a 929/954 (gullwing) upper triple if you intend to run clip-ons above the triple.

RC51-SP1 (flat) upper triple will work if you use risers and superbike bars.

I'm not sure the length of the 954 forks but thinking there same as the CBR1000RR forks as people were interchanging 929/954 forks with CBR1000RR to obtain the radial callipers for there 929/954.

I know for a fact the CBR1000RR forks will work & your front end will be very close to standard height & the big difference is when riding they don't dive anywhere near as far as the standard forks which makes more difference in the real world when forks under load when referring to operating length.

To make them work you have to use a 929/954 top triple clamp due to the lower mounting point with the gull wing design which mounts them about 15mm lower so you gain that length & then the fork itself can be modified internally to gain some more length if needed & then there is your rider sag which with standard forks on a VFR is average 40mm so set bike up with less rider sag you again have more length. The key is you have to mount clipons bellow top triple so convertibars or the like are needed, but if you have a street fighter you can use adaptors top triple for motocross bars.

R1 forks are longer but you will still need the same clipon setup as above & the added problem you will need to use custom wheel/rotor spaces, if you use 929/954 or CBR1000RR 04-07 forks standard spacers are all you need. The only draw back with the Honda forks is the front wheel is 3 spoke & not a good match, you can customize a RC51 wheel to work, the good part of the R1 forks is the R1 wheel is a good match. I have fitted R1 forks to a friends 4th gen & it works fine as they came from my 6th gen which now has CBR1000RR forks.

On fork length what is missed when comparing the standard fork length is most have there standard forks 10mm or more raised through triple clamps to aid with turn in & quicken steering so the length your after you should measure on your existing set up from bottom of head stock to axle & then allow for rider sag you use to determine if shorter forks will work for the way you like your bike set up.

• Member Contributer

04-05 R1, That's what I got.

929/954 Triples

Custom Axle

What kind of rear shock ? The overall stance looks high but might be the angle of the picture.

04-05 R1, That's what I got.

929/954 Triples

Custom Axle

What kind of rear shock ? The overall stance looks high but might be the angle of the picture.

Also a 04-05 R1, custom triangle.

Absolutely no problem with stability.

IMG 6408

Edited by RCDekker

The R1 clip-ons are too low to work with the VFR fairings, you need Convertibars or HeliBars.

You use the R1 front brake lever/cylinder assembly, but as you are running higher bars you need longer brakelines.

Keep the stock Honda switchgear and clutch lever assembly (or switch to a VTR1000F clutch lever assembly if you want to match the clutch fluid pot to the R1 brake fluid pot).

• 1 month later...
Guest navas

So here is what I got so far got a great deal on 954 forks and wheel rotors calipers top and lower triple. But I need to know if the controls are needed from donor bike or if I can use mine. I want to put superbike bars on so I know I may need longer brake lines but would like to know about how much longer.