Rapid Bike Fuel And Ignition Controller For 2007 Vfr800 Vtec

There are numerous options you can choose from. I like the slc diy over at 14point7.com but you can also get an aem uego, innovate lc1 and a gauge, and a handful of others in the automotive world that would get the job done. I like the SLC because it's a gauge and controller that you build yourself and it uses a pretty cheap Bosch o2 sensor. The innovate is quality as well if you're not wanting to build your kit and everything.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have used many glowshift gauges (www.glowshiftdirect.com) and haven't had and issues except with their fuel pressure senders going hay wire from time to time. We've used A/F gauges, pyro, boost, EGT's, oil press, oil temp, battery voltage, and vacuum and never had any issues with those, only the fuel pressure gauges. And they send us a new sensor within a week, but 6 months later same thing. Aside from those i haven't used any of their other gauges and all of those were the black or white 7 color ones.

Ok so after 2 days i figured my email should have been answered but they seem to be backed up so i shot them a call today. Within 30 seconds I am transfered to the exact place i needed to be. Talked to Lenny who seems like he knows a few things about the business and tuners (understatement, i think he owns the joint haha). He told me that hurricane Sandy really hit them hard, and while they still can answer phone calls it is going to take longer then expected to reply to emails because there are spotty electrical coverage there and he is currently prepping for a snow storm that is about to blow through. As for the modules, the Rapid Bike 2 Module, with fuel and timing adjustments IS available for the 5th gen on sale for the $245 price. Then ther is also the fuel only module at $195. All that is needed besides that is the cables which seem a little high at $59 but hey can't complain that much! He said though that if you wanted to make an order or anything that it may take a few extra days (2-3) before he can ship because of the issues with power and so forth. As for the website not showing the RP2 module he said that their new website should be up any day now and all of the products will be updated for each of the bikes. Seems like a very nice and straight forward guy, doesn't give you the run around. I will probably be ordering my module here soon, will also add feed back on the quality of the product and customer service when that time comes, if that is ok with the OP.

Ok so after 2 days i figured my email should have been answered but they seem to be backed up so i shot them a call today. Within 30 seconds I am transfered to the exact place i needed to be. Talked to Lenny who seems like he knows a few things about the business and tuners (understatement, i think he owns the joint haha). He told me that hurricane Sandy really hit them hard, and while they still can answer phone calls it is going to take longer then expected to reply to emails because there are spotty electrical coverage there and he is currently prepping for a snow storm that is about to blow through. As for the modules, the Rapid Bike 2 Module, with fuel and timing adjustments IS available for the 5th gen on sale for the $245 price. Then ther is also the fuel only module at $195. All that is needed besides that is the cables which seem a little high at $59 but hey can't complain that much! He said though that if you wanted to make an order or anything that it may take a few extra days (2-3) before he can ship because of the issues with power and so forth. As for the website not showing the RP2 module he said that their new website should be up any day now and all of the products will be updated for each of the bikes. Seems like a very nice and straight forward guy, doesn't give you the run around. I will probably be ordering my module here soon, will also add feed back on the quality of the product and customer service when that time comes, if that is ok with the OP.

Thanks for your consideration daword, you can take over the thread for a bit if you want, (I don't discriminate against the fifth gen, I actually really love that bike too). I wont have too many more updates for a while. I pretty much have everything rapped up. The quick shifter and software is amazing and my bike is running better and stronger than ever. I should be putting it on the dyno with in the next month or so. That will be my next big update, so feel free to keep the thread alive for me.

P.S. I will vouch for Lenny, he is hands down the best guy in the Performance and Tuning industry that I have had the pleasure of working with. Just be patient with everything, because of all the Hurricane Sandy and blizzard stuff they've been going through up there in New York. I had my doubts at first, but It is totally worth the wait and hopefully they'll get it to you quickly.

Thanks for your consideration daword, you can take over the thread for a bit if you want, (I don't discriminate against the fifth gen, I actually really love that bike too). I wont have too many more updates for a while. I pretty much have everything rapped up. The quick shifter and software is amazing and my bike is running better and stronger than ever. I should be putting it on the dyno with in the next month or so. That will be my next big update, so feel free to keep the thread alive for me.

P.S. I will vouch for Lenny, he is hands down the best guy in the Performance and Tuning industry that I have had the pleasure of working with. Just be patient with everything, because of all the Hurricane Sandy and blizzard stuff they've been going through up there in New York. I had my doubts at first, but It is totally worth the wait and hopefully they'll get it to you quickly.

i don't know about taking over :blush: you are gonna make me blush! But i just wanted to make sure that i can post some of the information here that i gather from the tuner for the 5th gen. I might just make my own thread and just link it from there, no telling. I will probably order next weekend

I will see when i get there haha. Prolly just post it here :beer:

Sweet, good stuff!

So my plans now are, save some money and get the headers and exhaust ceramic coated, and port the throttle bodies in the mean time (get those ridges and factory casting lines off). After that's done, then its dyno time. I kind of want to see if i can find a Two Bros header, get that coated and then sell my Motad header on here and try to recoup some money, But Lenny says the Two Bros header isn't worth it ($600 or $700!!!!!). I just mainly can't do the down time thing though, this bike is my only means of transportation.

Any Ideas???

Sounds like a plan! I had my stocke headers ceramic coated and it makes traffic nice haha. Would love to see the dyno charts, I plan on doing a very basic tuning until I get on a dyno or get a A/F gauge for mine

Sounds like a plan! I had my stocke headers ceramic coated and it makes traffic nice haha. Would love to see the dyno charts, I plan on doing a very basic tuning until I get on a dyno or get a A/F gauge for mine

You need those 98-98 headers!

Heres pictures of my porting the throttle bodies this weekend. Mainly I just wanted to ensure that my velocity stacks matched up perfectly to the air box (velocity stacks are off of a 2002 R6 so they are 38mm and required matching), and I wanted to get rid of all the factory casting marks/lines:

30B10D9A-294D-4517-83A1-4BEC36D57F19-174

29142D35-1A66-4AFF-81FF-BB64041B0F6A-174

D9EFF771-7C8B-4216-8AD8-0BD874F47E39-174

1AAAAE04-8325-48F7-B21F-805271E9AF67-174

A41C21F7-861E-4B23-AA38-5E7BE778E7B5-174

4DDFBC78-1234-4CB1-ADF3-7CB3BAA4957F-174

B3B2BDD8-71A2-490E-ACBD-4B0BF7FECEAD-174

307537BC-799C-43DD-A6E1-CAEFC1C4244C-174

Here you can really see how bad the factory throttle bodies were and how my R6 velocity stacks didnt really match that well:

BF522C65-E68A-4FEB-8585-FE0F3970826E-174

F0CFE4FB-BBB8-4612-AFAB-6DFEC6809309-174

F0CFE4FB-BBB8-4612-AFAB-6DFEC6809309-174

F6BF951E-0B4F-4458-AD5D-A7EB97FB8AB0-174

And here you can see how I cleaned everything up a little:

1EA596FC-68BF-4E1D-B82C-89DABD1CBA17-174

• Member Contributer

Please tell me you did not do the matching like that on the live throttle bodies !?

Those small holes between the velcotiy stacks are the idle jet air intakes & they are now contaminated with plastic filings !

Those lead to the air correctors & that rubbish could block them &/or stop them being adjusted !

If those are R6 velocity stacks, how are they going to be locked in place ? I assume the 6th gen airbox is held in place the same as the 5th gen, by screws in the velocity stacks ! Those R6 ones don't appear to have that facility!

Why did you change them ? The VS's on my 5th gen are 40mm at the trumpet tapering to 36mm for the throttle body which is the same size TB on the 6th gen !

Have you adjusted the length of the VS's ? Are they two different lengths like the 6th gen originals ?

Yeah I figured that out half way through all the dremeling and just pulled the cover off and cleaned the idle port off and flushed them out, no big deal, not very much got in there, they are fine.

The R6 velocity stacks are epoxied on to the bottom of the air box. They are of flexible material so you can still get to the screws just fine.

I changed the factory VS out because they slid into the barrels of the throttle bodies effectively reducing them from 36mm to 34mm.

The R6 VS sit perfectly flush with the air box and are of staggered length like the factory stacks. They are just a tad shorter and wider overall, so no major changes, just a little cleaning up. I would say I removed a decent amount of material along with the ridges in the throttle bodies, so now they're probably a millimeter wider at the entrance, slowly tapering to factory right at the butterfly.

Trust me when I say this, the bike lost no bottom end torque. I did not do any porting below the butterflies or to the heads. No air velocity was lost through the bottom half of the throttle bodies or cylinder heads. All I did was clean everything up on the way into the throttlebodies. I do not believe you would get anything out of this unless you have a full exhaust, open air box, and pipercross air filter. But I do believe once this is all done, that the advanced timing brings a lot of low end torque and the velocity stacks and cleaning up adds a considerable amount up top. The bike has pulled very hard off of the bottom since I advanced the ignition timing and continues to do so just as hard since I did the dremeling, it just pulls harder up top now too.

Yesterday my friend and I went for an all day ride. He has a dead stock mint 2006 cbr600rr. This bike was a little faster than mine up top last month.
We did various roll ons from around 40-80.
In 6th gear I would walk away from him.
In fifth I would walk away.
In fourth I would walk away a little quicker.
In third it was more like a jog.
In second I would literally run away from him.
We did high speed and high rpm roll ons as well. Every time the Veefer would just walk away.
Towards the end of the day I started to get a little generous and was actually starting to feel bad. I gave him a second or two head start from high way speed at high rpms, and literally reeled him in and jogged by before having to shut her down. Nothing has changed with his bike, its stock, garaged and driven on weekends or down time. He was blown away and said, "Damn the VFR is fucking Fast now!"

I am going to try and make it to the track tonight. My best time so far is 11.2 at 120mph. 2 weeks ago I ran an 11.3 at 119. If I am trapping above 122 tonight I will be a happy camper and hopefully have some numbers to give you guys instead of just running my mouth.

Oh and the Best part is, everything was recorded on his go pro. I am not sure how good of an idea it would be to post it up on here legality wise but I can't wait to watch all the videos. Hopefully you can't make out my plate.

I just talked Lenny at Rapid Bike. It seems that they are fresh out of stock and I got one of the last ones for a while. I guess they're shipping them out as fast as they're being built over in Italy. Sorry for the bad news sorry guys, I guess I got lucky on that one. If only I could get that lucky with a Two Brothers Racing Header.

So last night went pretty good at the drag strip. I picked up about three mph. I usually always trap at 119 ish and one time when the planets aligned, aka perfect conditions, I ran a 120.0. This is over the course of almost three years and no modifications. Last night I was pulling consistent 122s with my fastest run at 122.50 and 11.29 and my quickest run being an 11.23. The bike was a handful with the added power (a lot more low end torque). Getting out of the was easy at first, but as i started approaching 11.20 I started fight major wheelies in first. Really any time I rolled the throttle open in first she wants to stand up. I could probably knock off a tenth or two after a few more nights. She is very consistent with the added quick shifter, shift kit and 100 pound clutch springs. I did the math and the veefer has the power to run 10.90 right now, but that is going to be very hard with out flipping. I am going to invest in some front end straps and see how much that helps. Also hopefully I will still Pick up some more power and another mph or two after I get the bike tuned properly on a dyno.

Here is a rough estimate of the factory power to the wheel:

3590BD10-DB71-4AA1-B9CF-0DFAE1B2B19C-245

And here is a rough estimate of where I stand now:

2B67163E-4796-45E4-9AA1-4F6EEABEAE95-244

560B1558-BCE3-4C7B-927C-C56CFD26B1EC-244

Not bad at all. That is roughly a 7.72% gain in horsepower. Also that is untuned, and me versus a professional driver on the fastest stock vfr I have seen so far, so I think that I am being pretty conservative here and there is plenty of room for improvement.

I am not sure, I've never used them. But, hopefully it will let me launch harder with out wheeling all over the place. Maybe a tenth or two? For $30 bucks its worth a shot right?

I have ran run much lower 60 foot times before. I just need to put in some seat time with this whole set up. I found my self thinking a few times last night, "oh shit am i shifting up or down? uh green light ooops." Between the added power and my feet being in a new spot, I basically need to relearn how to run the bike.

The added low end torque is great. It really just makes the bike feel twice as fast as it really is. The bike just does not have to try that hard at all anymore to go fast. There feels like there is twice as much power in the 2000-8000 rpm and 5%- 50% throttle range. But really, there is added power everywhere below 11,500 rpms.

1.9 60ft isn't bad at all man, 1.8 is damn fast with a 1.6 being insane, even for a lot of cars. Now of course theres drag cars and so forth that will cut 1.2-1.4's but 1.8 would be really fast, that is really getting out of the hole

I can run a 1.8 no problem. With the heavier clutch springs, the clutch is much easier to modulate at high rpms. Its still no 600 ninja, but leaving the gate at 5 or 6 grand is pretty drama free. I ran a 1.818 last night, but I hit the limiter in third on that run. A few months back when I ran an 11.216 my 60 foot was in the high 1.7 second range, its possible, but hard to repeat. The problem now is with the added power I have to worry more about keeping the front wheel on the ground, whereas before, it wasn't too big of a deal. Hopefully when I strap the front end down. it will get easier to repeat and maybe make 1.6's possible. And then after I am strapped and tuned, maybe we will see 10.9's? But, I may need a new set of clutch plates first.

• Member Contributer

Thank you for this post

6th gen really needs some additional torque down low.

After reading this, I want more torque too :) but I am not a fan of tinkering with fuel maps myself.

Would you be willing to share your map or settings and how difficult would it be to install it on another bike?

Thank you for this post

6th gen really needs some additional torque down low.

After reading this, I want more torque too :) but I am not a fan of tinkering with fuel maps myself.

Would you be willing to share your map or settings and how difficult would it be to install it on another bike?

+1

Archived