6". Suggestions?

Crewwolfy

Ahem..

So I moved into a new apartment, and the landlord graciously offered me the backyard in which to park my bike. I will DEFINITELY be taking her up on that offer. Buuuut there's a slight problem. I have GSXR mirrors with Darth Bling mounts and Lobster extenders, and the mirrors are about 6" (give or take) too wide to fit through the rear gate. I can fold the mirrors in and get in just fine, but from my experience, changing the positioning of the mirrors tends to loosen them, and they vibrate out of position on the road.

Is there some sort of way to install a quick release type functionality to the mirrors? Ideally they'd be locked into the riding position, but I can 'snap' them out of position to fold them in, then snap them back into the riding position; exactly how fold-in mirrors on a car work.

Does anyone have any insight into a potential solution to my earth-shattering problem?

Bike: 5th gen VFR

Mirrors: Lobster extenders, Darth Bling GSXR mounts, Emgo GSXR mirrors.

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

are they not held in place with allen bolts?

just carry allen key, small price to pay for secure parking.............

and if after a year they're buggered, buy a new set

Can you not angle your bike just enough to pass through the gate and wiggle one mirror though, then the other?

That's what I do at the security gate at work... enter in at a slight angle and lean the bike one way, shuffle forward, and then lean it the other way and shuffle forward again...

I can confirm that constantly folding them in n out will lossen them and see them fold back at speed on the road...

• Member Contributer

A colleague from work has some that specifically made for this purpose on his (I think) YZF. They lock into place when out but can easily be made to fold in. I can't for the life of me remember what they were but I will ask him about them.

• Member Contributer

Can you not angle your bike just enough to pass through the gate and wiggle one mirror though, then the other?

That's what I do at the security gate at work... enter in at a slight angle and lean the bike one way, shuffle forward, and then lean it the other way and shuffle forward again...

I can confirm that constantly folding them in n out will lossen them and see them fold back at speed on the road...

I used to park my VFR inside at work and used a normal sized walk through door to get in. That's the way I did it^^^

And I second that the moving them will cause them to loosen up.

I used to paddle foot mine up a slight inclined ramp and through a glass slider opening, tipping side to side. I wanted a drive in basement with French doors, butt nooo. R3~

• Member Contributer

Just take a pair of mirrors off one of those Ford F-350 beheomoths and mount em up. They fold in!

• Member Contributer

ok, I asked my coworker and his bike is a FZ1. It would seem the 06+ (2nd gen) have the easily foldable mirors. No idea if this would work or not but worth a try.

The F350 mirrors would seriously hinder lean angle, me thinks. But take out the mirrors and they'd probably make great saddlebags!

I was able to finagle the bike out by leaning to and fro, and in by moving one mirror. Maybe I'll be lazy and not worry about it.. The FZ1 mirrors sound nice tho; need to check those out.

• Member Contributer

Make cutouts in the fence so the mirrors can pass thru. Feign ignorance when asked about how the funny holes got in the fence...

• Member Contributer

Make cutouts in the fence so the mirrors can pass thru. Feign ignorance when asked about how the funny holes got in the fence...

I like this one. The obvious answer is to alter the fence. Practice your "I'm Innocent" face. ;-)

• Member Contributer

To go allong with the last few post. Is the gate in decent shape or old and decrepit? You could always offer to build a new gate and just make it a little wider. Win, Win, you get a wider entrance and the landlord gets a new gate. To adress your issue first hand though, have you looked for slightly shorter mirrors? I think the ones for the CBR's might be a little shorter, at least when I look at pictures of them on eBay, but also appear to have the same mounting bracket (don't hold me to this). They may just be short enough to make the bike narrower but still allow decent rear view. I was actually thinking of going this route due to the few close calls I've had when lane splitting. There have been a few vehicles that have their mirrors at about the same height as mine! On my Duc, the mirrors are almost completely useless and would seem that they are only there to make the bike street legal.

Sadly (which would normally be fortunate), the gate is in fine condition.

I have the Lobster mirror extenders installed on the bike. Narrowing the mirrors would be a simple modification of simply removing those extenders. But I do like the increased visibility they offer, so I'd like to avoid that if possible.

(Of course, the amount of vibration the stupid Emgo mirrors suffer can negate that enhanced visibility when everything's a blurry mess. Best to just ride fast enough to keep everything behind you..)

• Member Contributer

Car type folding mirrors & some older bikes, use a thin stiff flat spring with detents for mirror arm location. You could modify the VFR arm & hanger to achieve this, then use a a kickstart fold out foot piece spring, i.e. those with the top arm that folds out rather than those that pivot at the bottom. Maybe a heavy duty spring washer would be enough.

If there is enough room, then you could use pins through the hanger to stop the stalk folding back, so would need to run the tension bolt a little loose & then use a U shaped pin, so it locked out front & rear folding. If yo were really good, you could make a lock like a gun magazine release to lock & release them !

Lots of ideas, or as previously said, just make a new gate !

Edited by Mohawk

• 3 weeks later...

So I came across these mirrors on ebay. While not the most streamlined of mirrors, they do look pretty functional. Foldable, adjustable base, integrated signals... Anyone try these out before?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-VFR-500-750-800-1000-Interseptor-Motorcycle-Mirrors-w-LED-Turn-Signals-/151022572036?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2329a59204&vxp=mtr

• 2 months later...
Guest koinajoi

You are thinking absolutely right to move new mirror and its fordable and very unique. I haven't seen or bought this kind of mirror before.