23K+ Km And A Possible Dct Failure?

It says on the side of the van: "More durable engine"

Let's hope for FotoDadi that it is.

So excellent that they finally helped you out.

So now you have TWO of them, since you had bought a replacement bike already, what are you going to do?

• Member Contributer

ISo now you have TWO of them, since you had bought a replacement bike already, what are you going to do?

Have a friend who is just waiting for it to be assembled to take it off me. :cool:

• Member Contributer

So some techs in flip flops show up with a motor in a cool Toyota van (that I wish we could get here in the US) and do a back alley transplant? AWESOME! It reminds me of a Top Gear episode where they ride scooters through Thailand and one of them gets a new/used Vespa motor tossed in by some guys squatting in the mud chain smoking Marlboros. Congrats on making Honda fess up. Since they've started adding freight and setup to all of our bikes here in the US they should have lots of cash laying around to stand by their products. Interesting that they didn't come in a Honda van.

I bet some of the best mechanics are the ones not specially "trained" by the big car and motorcycles companies.

I bet these guys in the farther corners of the world, working in "less than ideal" conditions, will never let a Honda "special tool" requirement from getting the job done! :rolleyes::fing02:

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Very FotoDadi that they came through!

I am sure your mate will take the '10 off your hands now after seeing the new engine, no problem.

• Member Contributer

I bet these guys in the farther corners of the world, working in "less than ideal" conditions, will never let a Honda "special tool" requirement from getting the job done! :rolleyes::fing02:

:laugh:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Unfortunately, now I have exectly the same big end problem with my vfr dct 2012.

My question is this: to get to the bearing shells in order to replace them, obviously must split the crankcase. Honda requires that everything must be taken off, included cylinders and the drive unit and complex coupling

Due to a lack of special tools to get those parts dismounted properly, I hope to be able to split the case with the clutch and cylinders in place and only took out the bolts of the bevel gearbox, because its mounted just over the breakline. After this I thought to be able to split the case as well.

But despite of having all the all bolts according to the manual out, I can’ t get the scales split up, even with a bar I putted some force say 70kg to it, but the space at the edges never got more then say ½ mm, so it looks like there is still something holding it together, somewhere at the place where the bevelgear unit is situated.

Does anyone have experience or a tip on how you get the block opend up without force/ damage.

The problem is of course that I do not have all the special tools, but I suppose in Africa you had them either who did you manage ?

• Member Contributer

Unfortunately, now I have exectly the same big end problem with my vfr dct 2012.

My question is this: to get to the bearing shells in order to replace them, obviously must split the crankcase. Honda requires that everything must be taken off, included cylinders and the drive unit and complex coupling

Due to a lack of special tools to get those parts dismounted properly, I hope to be able to split the case with the clutch and cylinders in place and only took out the bolts of the bevel gearbox, because its mounted just over the breakline. After this I thought to be able to split the case as well.

But despite of having all the all bolts according to the manual out, I can’ t get the scales split up, even with a bar I putted some force say 70kg to it, but the space at the edges never got more then say ½ mm, so it looks like there is still something holding it together, somewhere at the place where the bevelgear unit is situated.

Does anyone have experience or a tip on how you get the block opend up without force/ damage.

The problem is of course that I do not have all the special tools, but I suppose in Africa you had them either who did you manage ?

Did you find any of the aluminum bits in the sump as was found to be an issue with some 2010 models bought in the UK?

How many km on the bike?

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

WOW!!! I am just seeinf this.... I am so sorry about your experience. I really do not remember having any problem splitting the engine like I did without any special tools. I do remember that I had some difficulty around the drive out of the gear box.

So how is it with you?

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Ouch....that's a decent sized dent in the back rim you have there..!:blush:

Smaller one on the front too...pot hole...dog....cattle..!..??

Smithy.

10 hours ago, ausmithy said:

Ouch....that's a decent sized dent in the back rim you have there..!:blush:

Smaller one on the front too...pot hole...dog....cattle..!..??

Smithy.

Pot hole!! 

• Member Contributer

Came across this one in Nepal (many years ago, still have that umbrella!) :-)

Scannen0007.jpg