23K+ Km And A Possible Dct Failure?

Guest wagigkpn

Listening to the video i am cringing knowing it's a barring...TURN IT OFF! lol. I probably would have thought it was the DCT as well, I wouldn't have even thought it was a main barring!

I think it is a rare thing in any motorcycle to throw a piston barring considering they are designed to such fine tolerances.

• Member Contributer

Interesting...the bulletin says the DCT version is not affected. Although my VIN is in the range....001235.

The pic with the busted bearing in hand says it all.

The video is the one two punch to the gut. :ohmy:

I would hope Honda stands by their stuff in this case.

Regardless of if it's officially under warranty or not.

What a bummer. :dry:

• Member Contributer

Do make sure that Honda UK/EMEA/WW is made aware that a few 1,000 of their VFR customers are following this on VFRDISCUSSION.COM

Customers that are keen to learn if Honda stands by their product. Irrespective of where it was ridden or who took the engine apart...

good luck

edited

• Member Contributer

<p><em>Do make sure that Honda UK/EMEA/WW is made aware that a few 1,000 of their VFR customers are following this on VFRDISCUSSION.COM</em></p>

<p> </p>

<p><em>Customers that are keen to learn if Honda stands by their product. Irrespective of where it was ridden or who took the engine apart...</em></p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

<p><em>good luck!</em></p>

lknsdvoinbpoissdpojp

oskd ncoisndppndcpon owinc[oido[in]0indec poimned0iohjwe]0992

ME TOO !!!!!!!

• Member Contributer

Looks Like I have a long battle ahead of me.

Below is Honda UK/EU's reply and my email.

Dear Mr Kanu

Thank you for your recent e-mail into our offices regarding your Honda VFR1200. I am sorry to hear of the recent problem that you have experienced with your Honda VFR1200.

Honda (UK) provide a warranty of 3 years from date of first registration on this motorcycle and it is with regret that you experienced this problem. The 3 year warranty is valid whilst the motorcycle is within the UK or EU and it would appear that the motorcycle is now used in Nigeria. Therefore, any warranty on the motorcycle is no longer in place.

With regards to a recall on this motorcycle, there are no recalls showing on this motorcycle as being outstanding therefore it is unclear which recall you feel is outstanding. At this stage, whilst sympathetic to your case, I am sorry to have to advise that Honda (UK) are unable to assist with this matter further.

Honda (UK) values all of the feedback that we receive into our offices as information of this type is used to improve the range of products and services that we provide to our customers and it is with regret that on this occasion your personal expectations have not been met.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Kind Regards,
Sarah

Customer Relations - Cars
Customer & Aftersales
Honda (UK)

Telephone: 0845 200 8000

This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the
individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are
solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Honda
Motor Europe Ltd. or any of its group of companies.

If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received
this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing
or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.

Honda Motor Europe Limited T/A Honda (UK), company no. 857969, registered
in England and Wales, 470 London Road Slough Berkshire SL3 8QY

Honda Motor Europe Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority,
register number 311813.

Visit our website: http://www.honda.co.uk

"Ogbonnaya Kanu" ---08/03/2013 13:52:26---Hello CS, Following my call earlier today, kindly find pictures of the engine damage

To: <customer.servicecars@honda-eu.com>,
Date: 08/03/2013 13:52
Subject: Case Ref 934264
Sent by: Ogbonnaya Kanu <oekanu@gmail.com>

Hello CS,

Following my call earlier today, kindly find pictures of the engine damage to my VFR1200FD along with a link to the video of the engine (and its operation) prior to disassembly. http://s856.beta.photobucket.com/user/fotodadi/media/VFR1200FDGeargoingbad.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

<<...>> <<...>> <<...>> <<...>> <<...>>

As I have mentioned earlier, I would like to order a new VFR1200FD, 2013 model in Black and receive a new engine to replace this failed one.

I do look forward to your speedy resolution of this problem.

Best Regards

Ogbonnaya Kanu

• Member Contributer

Bummer, I think it might be time for us on VFRD to help this guy out. Maybe if we all sent emails to the above address and expressed our disappointment with them maybe he could get some resolution... Squeaky wheel... :mad:

Bummer, I think it might be time for us on VFRD to help this guy out. Maybe if we all sent emails to the above address and expressed our disappointment with them maybe he could get some resolution... Squeaky wheel... :mad:

I just wrote them to let them know of my dissapointment.

Hello. As a longtime Honda motorcycle owner (30 years, and never owned anything other than a Honda brand motorcycle), I am writing to you today in hopes that you will raise the bar in terms of your customer service and satisfaction experience.

As a member of a very large online worldwide VFR owner's community, it has come to my attention that one of our members, Mr Ogbonnaya Kanu, has has an issue with his VFR1200.

see: Honda Case Ref 934264

There has been an unfortunate engine failure, the root cause of which is detailed in Honda's own service bulletin here:

Bulletin No ESB220100003

Mr Kanu's VIN number falls within the range specified in the service bulletin.

Honda's rationale for denying his claim is that he is currently residing in Nigeria. I believe this amounts to discrimination of a geographical nature. As long as the vehicle has been maintained by the owner, with the specified maintenance intervals being observed, I see no reason why his motorcycle should not be covered by the service bulletin, which clearly states that swarf in the engine during the assembly process can cause engine failure, and a replacement engine will be provided.

This is a Honda factory quality control issue, and it would behoove your company to handle this in a manner that will instlll renewed confidence in the Honda brand, both for Mr. Kanu, and also for the tens of thousands of Honda VFR owners around the globe who are watching and waiting for your favorable response to Mr. Kanu's situation.

I myself have suffered a debilitating ankle injury which hampers my ability to change gears on my motorcycle, and at one point, I had considered a Honda VFR1200DCT as a possible solution to this problem. However, if this engine failure, and subsequent refusal of Honda to back their products is any indication, then I would not be inclined to purchase a DCT1200 at all, new or used.

I challenge you to escalate this claim beyond your front line service personnel, and bring it to the attention of someone higher up in the organization who can assist Mr Kanu in obtaining a replacement engine for his VFR1200. It's the right thing to do, regardless of policy regarding the UK/EU operating area.

What if one of your customers bought a VFR1200 in the UK, and then set off on a world tour? What if it suffered an engine failure halfway across Canada due to swarf in the engine?

The facts are this: Mr Kanu bought a NEW motorcycle from Honda. Honda admits engine quality issues with the motorcycle. Honda refuses to back it's product even after admitting the root cause of the problem.

Please do not continue to hide behind corporate policy as a reason to not provide a reasonable remedy for your customers and correct problems that have existed in your factory, and been common knowledge since the VFR1200 was introduced.

Do the right thing.

Rob McKinnon - VFR800 owner

5 Windfall Drive

Whitecourt, Alberta, Canada

if anyone else decides to write, make sure to include the case number, his name, and the service bulletin, so that Honda can connect all the correspondence.

Fotodadi, you may wish to contact the Honda service manager in Japan also:

Motorcycle Service Engineering Dept.,

Motorcycle Customer Service Div.

Honda Motor Co., Ltd.

3-15-1, Senzui, Asaka-shi,

Saitama 351-8555, Japan

Reference Attn.: Mr. Takao Tsuboi, Service Manager

he was listed in the service bulletin.

• Member Contributer

Sara is the person who just types in your vin and on a standard letter of "so sorry to hear your problem". I have seen many of those in my lifetime from customers who hit the same roadblock. Worst yet, she works in the car division.

As Rob mentioned, contact the Service Area Manager for the UK region as well as the Service Manager in Japan. If possible try to get both of their emails and CC them both. If you send a letter, make it "signature required" by that individual(s). Hammer them.

I will also send in a letter for your support and that of any other individual. No matter if the bike is currently under warranty or out of warranty, in the serial number or outside the VIN recall. Honda failed to keep the quality of their production line to the high standards they claim and admitted there is a problem. Pretty hard to push any new bike that comes off the line when your new VFR has a major issue and your telling those customers they are just SOL.

• Member Contributer

If not done already, the UK dealership should vouch for you that you are a real customer.
"Nigerian" has become synonym for "scammer" unfortunately...
If Honda UK wants to see you are real, they should set up an appointment with the Honda Nigeria director of sales in Lagos.
For you to show the purchasing document.

Honda UK's e-mail is the normal "computer says no" response, happens all the time.

You get what you accept,
do not accept this....

• Member Contributer

Dutchy has made a very good point.

Meet with Nigerian representatives from Honda, show purchase receipts and any other pertinent documents, in other words, make sure that there is no question of legitimacy. Then, enlist Nigerian H reps in reaching out to Honda UK.

It would be in Honda's best interest to act in good faith and show that it stands by its products and its customers. Especially since this particular bike is the flagship of the brand and commands hefty price of admission.

• Member Contributer

In my experience use the contact information for the service manager in Japan. The rest of the world will try to get out of warranty repairs by default. Japan HQ tends to take these things more seriously, at least they used to. I've read several accounts, over the years, of Japan HQ laying down the law and fixing busted bits in NA when the NA rep. denied claim.

good luck to you sir.

Ah, the infamous Nigerian blown engine scam. :goofy::laugh:

Would be good publicity for Honda, and relatively cheap as those things go.

A few $$ grand? Verify it's legit, and give the guy the benefit of the doubt first so you can check. :warranty:

Or, they can let you guys stink up the joint. :pissed: Good plan. :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer
Thanks so much for all your help, suggestions and advice.

I have just gotten the final email from Honda UK and I am tired and will not pursue it any further.

Honda, UK, have told me that it is out of warranty and thats that.

Have just completed ordering all the parts I will need to rebuild....I have decided to go with a new crank...and will keep you all updated.

• Member Contributer

I would put it back together and sell it off for a new Yamaha FJR. I have worked on the OEM side for years and agree with other posts that you are getting shafted here. Worst case Honda should have covered the replacement parts and you covered the labor. Their cost on the parts is very low, and if I were the customer it would make me a raving fan for life that they stood behind their product. After all this is their flagship bike supposedly. They didn't, and if I were in your position, I wouldn't buy another Honda ever.

Try as others suggested to contact Honda Japan. As the disclaimer below the email says, the answer you got is striclty that of the person that happened to be sitting behind the computer at that time, not that of Honda (Huh?)

Any views or opinions presented are

solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Honda

Motor Europe Ltd. or any of its group of companies.

Honda UK's e-mail is the normal "computer says no" response, happens all the time.

:laugh:

http://youtu.be/0n_Ty_72Qds

fotodadi, on 12 Mar 2013 - 07:35, said:

Thanks so much for all your help, suggestions and advice.

I have just gotten the final email from Honda UK and I am tired and will not pursue it any further.

Honda, UK, have told me that it is out of warranty and thats that.

Have just completed ordering all the parts I will need to rebuild....I have decided to go with a new crank...and will keep you all updated.

Really lousy response from Honda. :dry:

But, I can understand your wanting to quit chasing after them, just move on, and rebuild.

Best of luck with it. Sounds like you have the know how and tools.

And you know, we do like a good build thread around here. With pictures. :warranty:

Edit to add...

V4Rosso, that is hilarious. LMAO.

Customer Service survey, I choose C. :laughing6-hehe:

First figure out why the bearing did go out . Is there an obstruction in one of the main oil bearing supply chanals ?

Clean the engine very very good !!! Use new conrod bolts !!

Edited by Dutchgixxer

• Member Contributer

This is actually what has me very very concerned......."Why did this happen?".

I have observed that there was no discoloration on the crankshaft, con-rod or metal bearings. This leads me to the conclusion that the failure was unlikely to have been caused by a lack of lubrication. If there was lack of sufficient oil flow, there would have also been local overheating so that the metal would have been discolored.

Right now, I have sent the pictures and the video on a CD by courier to Honda Japan. I am hoping that someone will take an interest and perhaps eventually, I will get all the parts for free? At the time I decide to rebuild, I will be stripping the engine and cleaning thoroughly, all the oil channels.

Before that I welcome suggestions and ideas on possible angles as to the cause.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
Hi guys!

Some feedback and a light at the end of the tunnel?
Today I got the mail below

Needless to say I asked for a new engine biggrin.gif

MAIL has been removed.However, I will continue to update all and keep my private correspondence private :wink:
  • Like 1

• Member Contributer

Acouple of thousand of VFR riders are following this topic with interest................