Stator Rewinding

KevCarver

• Member Contributer

I finally got my stator back from Gary last week. Total turnaround time including shipping both ways was 15 days. Strangely, he still hasn't cashed the personal check that I sent along with my stator.

The stator looks good. I asked him to upgrade the windings and cable. They do look like they're a thicker gauge than the OEM stator. Gary replaced the rubber grommets and plug too, which I hadn't expected. I slapped it into my '02 yesterday and she runs fine. It feels good to be riding again. :cheerleader:

He runs a business, he probably does check cashing at a specific time.

Whats the ballpark of getting this done? I've got two used OE stators and I trust neither. I really thought one was upgraded, but i pulled it from the old motor and it turned out to be a stocker.

What are you asking? Time or cost? He quoted me $210 total for the two VFR stators I sent him. If you don't want to send a check, he took my card over the phone.

Like mentioned above, probably about 2 weeks including sending both ways.

Figure out if you want the stock connectors. I don't know what options he can provide. I'm using aftermarket plugs and had what I needed on hand so just got him to leave the ends bare.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

sudo, on 31 Mar 2013 - 10:52, said:

I finally got my stator back from Gary last week. Total turnaround time including shipping both ways was 15 days. Strangely, he still hasn't cashed the personal check that I sent along with my stator.

The stator looks good. I asked him to upgrade the windings and cable. They do look like they're a thicker gauge than the OEM stator. Gary replaced the rubber grommets and plug too, which I hadn't expected. I slapped it into my '02 yesterday and she runs fine. It feels good to be riding again. :cheerleader:

HOw can you tell the oem is an opaque coating, if they were actually heavier wiring, it would produce a differnt output anyway, from what ive seen posted numbers wise, its shy of the oem output but still usable. Id like to see them go 50,000 miles, then maybe its comparable to oem. While a few have posted their vfr oem hasnt made it past 20 or 30,000 miles that below average, Both of mine have gone well over 50,000, and the last one still going. So thats the bar to beat.

IMO the whole issue with stator life is the coating degrade not the wiring

I agree with you that stator failure is due to the coating deteriorating and not anything to do with the wiring. However, when you say that Gary's stator rebuild puts out less than an OE, I have to disagree. As long as all the connections in the system are cleaned and the R/R is working like it should, I can prove that it does put out more. 15.0 volts at anything over 1600 RPM even with high beams and the fan running is pretty darn good if you ask me. If others are running less than that I can pretty much assure you that the R/R is not working right or there are some connectors in the system that are not up to the task. That is the reason I tell everyone to ditch the connectors and solder/hardwire the components together. Not hard to change out a component even if it is done this way.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/70371-98-charging-system-re-build/

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Also if anyone has a spare stator for my 99 they would like to sell me to get mine off to get rebuilt or a bad one to use as a core I would be much appreciated.

I have 3 03's...

Also if anyone has a spare stator for my 99 they would like to sell me to get mine off to get rebuilt or a bad one to use as a core I would be much appreciated.

I have 3 03's...
Thanks I already got mine back grime custom rewind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I have 3 03's...
Thanks I already got mine back grime custom rewind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any photo's ..

• 7 months later...

I noticed that my battery has been a bit weak lately, so I figured it was time for a new battery. While I was charging up a new battery, I took the opportunity to inspect my wiring. To my surprise, I found that an inch of insulation had melted off each wire on the stator side of the connector to the R/R. It seems that the insulation on the rewound stators don't cope with heat very well. I'm going to chop off the connector and solder the wires together tomorrow.

post-23602-0-14062500-1423649543.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I noticed that my battery has been a bit weak lately, so I figured it was time for a new battery. While I was charging up a new battery, I took the opportunity to inspect my wiring. To my surprise, I found that an inch of insulation had melted off each wire on the stator side of the connector to the R/R. It seems that the insulation on the rewound stators don't cope with heat very well. I'm going to chop off the connector and solder the wires together tomorrow.

WOW...did you notice the arcing between leads while running the bike?

I would think it would look like a light show in that area while the bike was above 5k rpm.

Archived