Stator Rewinding

KevCarver

• Member Contributer

Anyone have the info on the guy who rewinds stators here in the States? From what I recall, old school guy without much of a website. Basically you mail him your stator and a check. I thought someone said he was close to retirement but had an apprentice that might take over?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Send him your core and he will rewind it.

+1. Just remember to ask him for the upgrade. Over 10K on mine and the volt meter has not varied a tenth of a volt since doing this.

Will do!

You guys send in you old ones and have them rewound, or just buy a rewound one from him?

The oem staors are precision made and wound, vibration and heat are barriers to their life expectancy. If you even have a Glimer of thought, some aftermarket half A$$ hand wound stator does as well, then be my guest.

My time is precious and replacing a stator is a pain in the A$$, I do it once with the OEM part and dont have to worry if its gonna work well. But Ive seen so many time people try to short cut and end up with issues, and then the complaining about the Branded bike, and it turns out they short cutted and running aftermarket charging crap.

When they beefed up the rr on the 6th gen and moved it to the front of the bike, seems to have took care of that issue, atleast my 100,000 mile RR has been fine, I did fry a stator 45 to 50,000 miles ago. But it had 56,000 miles on it, which is way above average for a motorcycle stators life.

Thats not to say all aftermarket is crap, but alot of it is, Ive seen nothing other than maybe 5 gen RR's those OEM's are crap. AS far as the 6th gen's the oem stup is the best and longest life parts to obtain. Heck those staors are only $225 Brand new, some bikes oem stators are over $350.

• Member Contributer

He puts brand new grommets. Take a picture of the OEM windings and compare them to Gary's. You'll see the difference in gauge and process. The OEM windings have "lane" defections, where Gary's are nice and tight. Not sure if that makes a difference, but that with a bit more coating helps me sleep better.

• Member Contributer

^^^ Probly a good idea to talk to him direct before you set up an order.

Yep. Today is Sunday, his hours are M-F. Yesterday was Saturday, his hours are M-F. Tomorrow is a "holiday", I can call him but no idea if he is open. Even if he is, I can't send off my stator(s) because the PO is closed.

His website offers no options on "setting up an order" anyway.

Just trying to get the facts from those who have already used the service.

• Member Contributer

You guys send in you old ones and have them rewound, or just buy a rewound one from him?

The oem staors are precision made and wound, vibration and heat are barriers to their life expectancy. If you even have a Glimer of thought, some aftermarket half A$$ hand wound stator does as well, then be my guest.

My time is precious and replacing a stator is a pain in the A$$, I do it once with the OEM part and dont have to worry if its gonna work well. But Ive seen so many time people try to short cut and end up with issues, and then the complaining about the Branded bike, and it turns out they short cutted and running aftermarket charging crap.

When they beefed up the rr on the 6th gen and moved it to the front of the bike, seems to have took care of that issue, atleast my 100,000 mile RR has been fine, I did fry a stator 45 to 50,000 miles ago. But it had 56,000 miles on it, which is way above average for a motorcycle stators life.

Thats not to say all aftermarket is crap, but alot of it is, Ive seen nothing other than maybe 5 gen RR's those OEM's are crap. AS far as the 6th gen's the oem stup is the best and longest life parts to obtain. Heck those staors are only $225 Brand new, some bikes oem stators are over $350.

Are you on the correct forum? This is the VFR forum where guys help out each other and relate stories of success of failure directly related to what the original poster inquired about.

But I think I will "be your guest" and try this "half A$$ hand wound stator". before the manufacturers and most after-market suppliers started sourcing dubious quality parts and components by the gross from unknown off-shore locations there existed people who had the skill to properly repair/rewind a starter motor, an alternator or generator and even rebuild internal combustion engines.

I suppose if you needed an engine rebuil you would shy away from federal mogul, keith black, world products, doug thorley, holley, or accel and just stick with whatever the OEM put on to meet a price point.

I will try to get my stator removed before you are able to ship Kevin, maybe we can get together later next week.

• Member Contributer

Almost as fanciful as your notion that OEM stators are precision made and not made to meet a price point for mass production.

Anybody got pics of one of his completed rewinds?

And I agree, someone competent and dedicated can certainly do an excellent job rewinding stators and alternators.

We get large electric motors (100hp, 75hp, 150hp, 20hp, 30hp, 50 hp, 300 hp) rebuilt, after years and years of use and abuse in terrible conditions, and we send them out for rebearing and rewind jobs all the time, and they come back just like new, and run and run and run for many more years, if not a decade or more.

• Member Contributer

I don't know but compared to what Gary does, the Honda OEM looked like it was a 3rd grade science project.

+1. You could tell that the windings on the unit Gary did for me were very carefully wound and it looked great. You could also tell that the winding and output wires were slightly larger. I would use him again in a heart beat. Here is a small review of what my initial thought were. BTW, after 10K + miles my voltage readings have never moved since doing this work. If someone knows what they are doing they can do a much better job than a mass production facility.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/70371-98-charging-system-re-build/

And I agree, someone competent and dedicated can certainly do an excellent job rewinding stators and alternators.

We get large electric motors (100hp, 75hp, 150hp, 20hp, 30hp, 50 hp, 300 hp) rebuilt, after years and years of use and abuse in terrible conditions, and we send them out for rebearing and rewind jobs all the time, and they come back just like new, and run and run and run for many more years, if not a decade or more.

• Member Contributer

The first pic is OEM, the second pic is Custom Rewind.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/gallery/image/63031-vfr-800-oem-stator-001/

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/gallery/image/63030-vfr-800-stator-custom-rewind-004/

• Member Contributer

I'm all turned around on this. I think I better take the advise of someone with zero experience! You guys that have had your stators rewound clearly have no idea what you are talking about. The two oem stators that have died on my RC51 certainly must be better quality.

I dont see any differnce myself, beteen the garys and the USED oem . The garys has clear epoxy and the Oem Opaque, other than that no differnce. Is the garys a direct oem connector fit, it would be the first aftermarket ive seen that is.

One thing Ive done over the years on differnt modesl is track the reliablity of such things, if oem isnt getting the life then look eleswhere. The average motorcycle stator life is less than 50,000 miles, many average around 20 or 30,000 mile, and can still fail as early as 10,000 mile. Any motorcycle stator that last more than 50,000+ mile is considered above average stator life, the vfr's oem stator fits in this range, so its a solid performing unit. The have been a few that only got 35,000 mile off vfr oem staors but really thats below average, and not the rule.

• Member Contributer

Gary's s not a direct OEM fit as it can be ordered with lengthened stator wires that can be directly connected to the Reg/Reg eliminating the three wire connector that turns brown and is the source of many of the problems.

Archived