Phlebmaster's 1987 Vfr750F Evolution- Full Of Pics And Win!

Guest Phlebmaster

Guest Phlebmaster

First I want to thank frodus for the awesome deal on the 86 eVFR he worked so hard on.... now it is time to bring her back to square one and put a fossil fuel burning ozone layer eating monster back in. I have a matching 86 VFR750 with some issues and a totaled title and this bike was the injection I needed to put this thing together right. Here is his project thread: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/40067-1986-vfr700-conversion-to-electric/page-1

Now, on to the evolution..... :-) Please forgive the multiple posts while I get you updated.

First I need to catch you up and give you some history so this all makes sense. My first bike was a 76 KZ400 and I converted it into a nice cafe racer, then traded it for an 85 VF500f and after fixing that up I traded the VF500f for this 1986 VFR 750...... here we go.

The bike needed a few things, but that is the way I like it.

6jilc1.jpg

30lp6kk.jpg

16aa3ac.jpg

5twfn5.jpg

nno5xy.jpg

I considered a naked look due to the problems with the plastics. But then I came across Travis and his bike.....

So, now down to business. I now have some things I needed to do to this bike to make it roadworthy. I had it less than 1 hour and have discovered the source of the carb leak, it is the rear plastic carb tube that puts fuel to the rear carbs from the pump.

Parts list I needed for this project!

- I needed blinkers all around- Check!
- Rear brake light- Check!
- Seat- I want to do something custom though- check!
- all the fasteners to hold the body work on- now I have all needed fasteners
- That hard to find fuel tube thingy (I may have it on the way)- hopefully having one made custom
- Maybe a few more items, but won't know yet.- still pending after getting this new bike.
- Keyed gas cap- ordered and in transit

This will be a quick project, I had it running and the Yoshi exhaust sounds very nice! Tickles me in a happy place.... lol

I'll post a video of it running very soon. I am considering going naked on this bike.... wink wink

Say goodbye to the 500... and hello to the vfr750

2vlp4qd.jpg

1o6fqh.jpg

23wrwp.jpg

igzvpl.jpg

25pl1e0.jpg

15gb8rk.jpg

I pulled the carbs and cleaned the gunk out of them. I also drilled the sliders and added spacers for the needles to compensate for the Yoshi exhaust.

The rear crossover tube leaks again, but the bike will idle on its own and revs quick!

Carb cholesterol.....YUK!

bzrcg.jpg

33dz7d5.jpg

All clean!!

zlevkz.jpg

Drilled the sliders and spaced the needles....Tricks I learned from the KZ400 jet kits

2jfd47c.jpg

All done and ready to install....

29dz5kw.jpg

Here is the leak culprit. Proof that they don't make 27 year old plastic tubes like they used to.

I found a replacement for $22.00 or I can have Sinnergy make me one....either way after I fix that and replace the insulators the bike is ready to rock!

11lnfcg.jpg

Put the bodywork on just to get an idea of what I still need. Looks like a windshield, turn signals, tail light, and seat. Ugly duckling...but she screams!

33ynztf.jpg

qstp4x.jpg

This was my first ride on this project. Woohoo!!

http://youtu.be/ZgbJ_Jb5Jnk'>http://youtu.be/ZgbJ_Jb5Jnk

I ordered a new keyed gas cap, windscreen, mirrors, got a seat and even swung for a new helmet......my red one is about done.

BUT!! You have to see what I just got my hands on....

294owhz.jpg

2vubjoo.jpg

Yep! This is a Chuck Crites of Cobalt Racing One Piece Tail Section Cowl. I can't wait to put this thing on!

Check out the new tail piece!!

iedsoi.jpg

Now for the current info....

Wanna see what I got from frodus?

There are many rare peices in the bunch and most of the items were made by Chuck Crite from Cobalt Racing. This thing even has a fiberglass tank that could be finished.....

Okay, so here we go... The new bike has a clean clear title and only ~4300 miles, rebuilt forks and even a center stand! The headlights are custom with alum casing so they weren't cheap and there is even a custom stitched seat along with a mint stock seat.

1j527r.jpg

2rqoapx.jpg

2d93gjr.jpg

2330jm.jpg

2u4r702.jpg

21bovvs.jpg

2cp28oj.jpg

2uojbyp.jpg

2s63p0z.jpg

Looky...they are getting to know eachother before the transplant! How quaint! I am swaping the engine into the new frame.

xqmjbn.jpg

2h3oho7.jpg

5mbasl.jpg

Crazy lights....

38veo.jpg

Stay tuned for the swap..... Thanks to Travis!

Aaron

Me likey and can't wait to see the final product!!! What are your plans for paint?

Rollin

Sigh... that is a hard one. With all of the cool parts I am seriously thinking of going stock, but the crazy headlights say go custom! We will hash that out after the swap but no matter which way it goes it will be done carefully since I cannot replace the parts. No rattle can jobies! :-)

But I have inspiration here...

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/gallery/image/18276-nick01jpg/

• Member Contributer

RC30 / NC30 paint scheme would look pretty damn sweet. Now about that single sided swingarm mod :goofy:

RC30

post-14198-0-69166300-1360115484.jpg

NC30

post-14198-0-92980100-1360115614.jpg

Rollin

Hey dude, Good luck! Glad it found a new home! I just bought my Brammo Empulse R, so it's on it's way. Thanks for the help in making room in my garage!

My friend has a set of carbs, make him an offer on them... I think they'd come with that fuel tube thingy.

Updates!!

Started the process of swapping everything over today. I took my time and did this right... 8 hours of work to get her where she sits now. I will need to get a hand dropping the motor and such. But that is about all that is left!

I got my windscreen today too so it has been a very productive day. So here are the obligatory pictures. :-)

There they sit waiting for action...

qpj992.jpg

Pulled the donor bike apart first..

9jzme9.jpg

Pulled the harness adn all the electrics taking pictures along the way so I don't screw it up later.

1gkap4.jpg

2j2xe20.jpg

Looks like a bobber!! LOL

14t340g.jpg

I had to pull the under fender from the donor bike because the battery tray was cut out on the new bike to make room for electronics.

2iszl39.jpg

I painted it...

2ue2sep.jpg

The electrics going on....

2n9gff5.jpg

Swapped the 60 tooth sprocket for the 45..

10igrya.jpg

Controls are on...

np299g.jpg

Test fitting the rear frame portion...

2wfvcrs.jpg

pb0hl.jpg

2sb2vi8.jpg

Next is the engine!!! Stay tunned!

Engine swap complete! I also confirmed my wiring, tested the headlights and fuel pump....all she needs now is the carburetor piece to run!

Next will be the body and paint....

vwsf10.jpg

6pt5kx.jpg

Say good by to the old frame...

2cxi1he.jpg

Hello new frame!

14j2ty0.jpg

9ve52f.jpg

14izkg8.jpg

Got Juice!!

.mvn5e9.jpg

Pretty bright!!

359kbh2.jpg

eu4rbn.jpg

Thanks to Travis and Jim!!

I was able to get a spare carb set with all of the parts needed and even a new set of insulators! I got a gas cap from China but it is not a direct replacement....oh well. I think I have figured out a way to force it to work...hehehe (drill, sledgehammer, glue) JK

Last thing to do before starting this bike is add oil and fresh coolant. I have everything else!!

Video soon to come.....

Put the bodywork on today just to get a look at how everything will fit together. The fiberglass is configured just a little bit different so some of the holes will require modifications to the mounts to get it all on....no biggy.

Tested the turn signals, brake lights and other assorted electrics and all works great.

Here are some pictures of her with everything on.....I may go with the racing tail instead of the seat but that will be later.

9rnbl5.jpg

1ewfba.jpg

2a6tfdj.jpg

fctnr6.jpg

vrzwjd.jpg

Testing the racing tail. Looks good from my perspective but not stock at all. I think I will make sure both peices get the same paint so I can go with either.

30sykqw.jpg

219s779.jpg

Looks great dude!

You're missing the fairing stay on both sides. It mounts midway down. The ones I gave you are black machined pieces and I didn't drill them because I didn't get the faitings all fitted. You should put them on, it will keep them from flexing inward.

As far as fitting that solo tail, you need to remove the seat lock/rails and fab a bracket to fit it properly.

Remove the handlebar mount that I put on there. No need for it, just takes up space and looks weird.

Looks great dude!

You're missing the fairing stay on both sides. It mounts midway down. The ones I gave you are black machined pieces and I didn't drill them because I didn't get the faitings all fitted. You should put them on, it will keep them from flexing inward.

As far as fitting that solo tail, you need to remove the seat lock/rails and fab a bracket to fit it properly.

Remove the handlebar mount that I put on there. No need for it, just takes up space and looks weird.

I was wondering what that black screw looking thing was but I only found one so I'll look to see if I can find a second in the box.

Thanks for the tip on the tail... I'll see about making the mount and such. And as for the handlebar mount...I wasn't sure if that was a necessary peice so I'll remove it.

She runs now, but I managed to allow crud from the tank get into my cleaned carbs, so now they have to come back off for another cleaning. I forgot to put a filter on it.... oops! Live and learn I guess....there is one on now. :P

Yeah, there should be two machined black fairing stays in there. I took them both off. Maybe the can of parts tipped over.

That handlebar mount is for superbike style handlebars, rather than clip-ons. Use if you want, I was going to as I thought it looked better.

As far as the Tail, I'll see if I can contact another owner. I did send a bunch of stuff to the guy you got it from, see if he has it. Those screw holes on the top bolt into a bracket that you'll need to make that goes down and screws onto the subframe. The rear subframe/seat lock/rails come off. Once you go to this one, it's hard to go back, so I'd get em painted and ride around on the stock for a while.

Sup Phleb. Must be tough work updating two forums!

Love the project!

LOL... try 3

google phlebmaster and you will see. hahaha

Good to see you here too! Nice digs...

Went for a 20 mile ride this evening. This bike is a whole different animal from the 1990 VFR I have been riding. I have already scared myself once or twice on the 86...not the same at all!

Get used to the bias ply tires.

Do you still have the stock forks?

Yes, stock forks.

The VF500 was darty and this bike has the same type of turning characteristics as the VF.....I got used to the smooth predictable turning of the 90 vfr.

Also...let's just say the 86 has a little more "off the line" than the 90....watch those wheelies! lol

long term, once you get the paint and carbs sorted, the CBR F2 17" wheels/forks/brakes conversion is an excellent choice.

the 41mm forks and 17" wheels with radial tires made a world of difference on my '86

i went with 120/70-17 front and 160/60-17 rear.

long term, once you get the paint and carbs sorted, the CBR F2 17" wheels/forks/brakes conversion is an excellent choice.

the 41mm forks and 17" wheels with radial tires made a world of difference on my '86

i went with 120/70-17 front and 160/60-17 rear.

Thanks! I have heard that is the thing to do to improve handling and get away from biased tires.

I am seriously considering a vinyl wrap with decals...that is if I can't figure out a way to do an RC30 paint scheme without ruining the bodywork. I don't wish to try to find these parts again. ;-)

Archived