OFF TOPIC CONTENT - Before I Keep Bidding, Ebay - Closed

cruzinaz

• Member Contributer

I am bidding on a sidecover for a VFR and it seems someone else is anxious to be the new owner also. If its someone here let me know and I will stop bidding, you were there 1st. :dry:

:goofy:

• Member Contributer

I had a rare vinyl LP from The Beatles on eBay but no bidders........

Maybe I should move into VFR bodywork.... ;-)

No offense, but this conversation is not fair to the seller - and no, it's not me. Need to let the demand in the market drive the price.

Yes, one can run into legal issues. If the original poster did make contact with the other bidder and agree to stop bidding so the other bidder would get a better price it "could" start falling into the catagory of collusion. Though this situation is currently far from that, it would have to be an organized scheme between two bidders to keep the bid low. It's best for the original poster to continue bidding until he's reached his limit, it is after all an auction.

• Member Contributer

I tried to buy a 5th gen crankcase cover on Ebay and the price was driven so high I ended up buying new ($250!). Best of luck!

And that's how ebay works.

• Member Contributer

No offense, but this conversation is not fair to the seller - and no, it's not me. Need to let the demand in the market drive the price.

Yes, one can run into legal issues. If the original poster did make contact with the other bidder and agree to stop bidding so the other bidder would get a better price it "could" start falling into the catagory of collusion. Though this situation is currently far from that, it would have to be an organized scheme between two bidders to keep the bid low. It's best for the original poster to continue bidding until he's reached his limit, it is after all an auction.

So you're saying if you were bidding on an item, and you found out a friend had also started bidding on the same item you wouldn't let it go to the friend if he needed it? This forum may have a fair amount of members, but it's still a pretty tight group of people and we tend to look out for our "friends". I say good on ya cruzinaz.

• Member Contributer

Seriously Dave??? This was nothing more than "if" someone here was bidding I would wait for the next one to come around. I am in NO hurry to own one, just a piece for a mod I want to do.

Its not like I am gonna go into a frenzied Barret Jackson bidding war over a flippin side cover. :tongue:

• Member Contributer

Seriously Dave??? This was nothing more than "if" someone here was bidding I would wait for the next one to come around. I am in NO hurry to own one, just a piece for a mod I want to do.

Its not like I am gonna go into a frenzied Barret Jackson bidding war over a flippin side cover. :tongue:

I understand what Dave is saying (I think...). Ebay is a great way of finding out if that 1943 Humbley-Pudge magneto is worth anything, or should just be tossed. If the market price for H-P magnetos is depressed via 'coordinated bidding' or anything similar, lots of H-P magnetos will be melted down instead of ending up on someone's restoration project.

I'm sure that there are bunches of PHd theses explaining this in much denser language out there.

BTW, does anyone know where i can get a needle valve seat for a small Throckmorton carburetor?

Glenn

• Member Contributer

I have a seat for that carb, but it is encased in a block of ice in a bucket in my back yard. Talk to me in the spring.

Don't be jackin threads..... this one isn't about flat black. :goofy:

Let the free market do it's thing.

Anyone willing to pay $500 for a pair of 5th Gen grab handles in good slightly used condition? Includes bolts!

Or $500 for a red rear seat cowl, same good condition? Even includes Frankenstein bolts! :goofy:

I hear they're hard to find, but I can't install them alongside the Givi monorack, so they're in a box. :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Anyone willing to pay $500 for a pair of 5th Gen grab handles in good slightly used condition? Includes bolts!

Or $500 for a red rear seat cowl, same good condition? Even includes Frankenstein bolts! :goofy:

I hear they're hard to find, but I can't install them alongside the Givi monorack, so they're in a box. :laugh:

Geezus...You guys need to start your own threads for the stuff ya wanna sell...theres nothing here for you. :laughing6-hehe:

So you're saying if you were bidding on an item, and you found out a friend had also started bidding on the same item you wouldn't let it go to the friend if he needed it? This forum may have a fair amount of members, but it's still a pretty tight group of people and we tend to look out for our "friends". I say good on ya cruzinaz.

But what if the seller was also a board member who needed to raise money to buy a VFRness and a regulator to get his bike back on the road? For lack of cash a VFR sits fallow, Tightwad can't pay his bills - an unimiganiable chain of unintended consequences!

• Member Contributer

But what if the seller was also a board member who needed to raise money to buy a VFRness and a regulator to get his bike back on the road? For lack of cash a VFR sits fallow, Tightwad can't pay his bills - an unimiganiable chain of unintended consequences!

Are you KIDDING??? Holy crap man! IF that guy was needing ANYTHING for his VFR don't ya think SOMEONE here would help him out??? This site bought HS a BIKE for cryin out loud!

Geezus...You guys need to start your own threads for the stuff ya wanna sell...theres nothing here for you. :laughing6-hehe:

I don't want to sell, but if someone wants to pay insane prices, I'll say sold! :beer:

Good luck with the buy. :happy:

• Member Contributer

just in case someone here needs this heres the link. Good luck, I quit bidding now. hope ya get it Dave :wink: I'm sure the motorcycle junkyard you will get it from needs to sell that part to buy that harness.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=130843426707&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:BIDN&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2765

Ok boys, how about we put the itchy trigger fingers away for a moment, let's get back to basics, if this were a real auction held live in an auction room, and both a friend and myself were bidding on the same item, there can be a degree of polite "giving way" to the other bidder if you so choose, there is nothing wrong with that, but we would both need to have an idea of what we think is a fair price and these two figures will undoubtedly differ. The bidder with the higher opinion will normally end up bidding higher anyway so no problem.

The Auctioneers challenge is not to have only two bidders, but as many as possible to give the best indication of the value of any item, since two people's opinion is rarely a valid indication of an item's worth unless they are professionals in that field.

On the other hand, if people are bidding on an item and the winning bidder pays way too much, is that then the true value of that item? I don't believe it is if it can normally be bought for far less, the same is true of the reverse.

I do not believe for a second that cruzinaz was in any way trying to effect the outcome of the auction for any benefit to himself or anyone else. I feel that he was simply saying "if" it were one of the members here, he would let that member have a chance of winning it without paying over the odds.

No foul there, especially since this auction is not limited to two bidders, there are millions of potential bidders for this item to let the demand in the market drive the price.

• Member Contributer

Does anyone know where I can find a 1943 Humbley Pudge magneto? Some a@#hole outbid me on Ebay.

Archived