Reusable Oil Filter

Auspanglish

K&N supposedly makes one (apparently), and I've been qouted 200€, which would mean 200,000 km for it to pay for itself.

Then there's this one on EBay which looks identical, but at less than half the price I could make this one pay for itself... and then hand it on to someone when I move onto another bike... if I ever do that.

3539d5b1fb906eedfed0e7c3e2e13f98.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-RACING-FLO-REUSABLE-OIL-FILTER-98-07-HONDA-VFR800F-/180549242959?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a0992d04f&vxp=mtr

What do you all think of this idea??

I have the K&N air filter and have already recuperated the initial outlay... part of the the advantage I see to this OIL filter is that the bike might run cooler??

I have other things to waste money on, paper filters have been proven to filter the best, verses a Metal screen. Also you have to clean the thing, who's gonna pay for my time to do that?

Not to mention a few paper MC filters at $7 each , will last many years. I dont know what the scotts cost, but disposable are the most convienient. If you change your oil every 3,000 mile, the filters can go 2 or 3 oil changes easily(saving you big time labor) . Ive done this with several post 100,000 mile bikes, the wear rate is low or non existant on the motor. Its the clean oil thats the life blood of the motor, always has been always will be..

Now the dirty heavily contaminated oil guys that run 8,000 miles on a change , then yeah they should pop a new filter every time. Cause they arent flushing that contaminated oil as frequent.

• Member Contributer

From what I have read over the years, the reusable filters do not have the capability to catch the smallest particles of most throw away filters. I don't see the money savings in them.

• Member Contributer

Always fancied one myself.

Would be good if there was some real cooling on offer! If there was for sure, i would get one.

Didn't punt the price last time i considered it as it was not a priority with 3 filters in the draw and filter changes are not that frequent nowadays. 2 to 6 changes a year maybe.

The reusable filter examples i looked up a while back were quite pricey, more so than a year or 3s usage depending.

Combined with a magnetic sump plug to catch the tiny bits, i hope a reusable filter would work well.

Maybe there is a slight increased oil flow?

Didn't H. Slammer run one on his older vfr for quite a while and rated it?

I spent a while reading about these things recently after coming across a similar product made by a company called K&P Engineering which receives rave reviews. I would summarise my findings thus:

- The micron filtration rating is largely academic, the reusable metal filter will filter more consistently

- There should be a notable drop in oil temp due to increased flow rate

- The engine will be provided with a healthier supply of oil when started cold as these designs don't use a bypass when pressure is low.

Problem comes when cleaning the thing since if any contamination gets the wrong side of the screen...

I really couldn't make my mind up about them, and kinda felt that paper filters have been working pretty well for quite a while and there is something comforting about lobbing it in the bin after a 4000 miles. Having said that, I'm keen on the design and like the cold starting benefits *looks out of window at snow*

• Member Contributer

i have been using this for over 3 year...they are great. easy to clean. there is a magnet in there which catches all the micro metal pieces.

since reusable - its is environment friendly.

i have been using this for over 3 year...they are great. easy to clean. there is a magnet in there which catches all the micro metal pieces.

Good to know Anik... what do you use to clean it?? In which direction to you blow it out with compressed air??

• Member Contributer

Good to know Anik... what do you use to clean it?? In which direction to you blow it out with compressed air??

i used engine de-greaser and then any carb cleaner ...first a little out and then from inside out. let it dip dry. Heard people using hot soapy water also.

its metal so any can be used provided it does not leave any oily residue behind (avoid gasoline). also i prewashed it with a little oil before fitting it back.

this video may help ...

Thanks Anik...

BTW Which way does the oil actually flow through this thing??

If when cleaning you're blasting from inside out, then oil flow must go from the outside to the inside right? So it would be important to make sure no particles end up on the inside of the filter piece??

• Member Contributer

the flow is from out to in. hence first clean from out to in and then in out just to be sure. keep cleaning till you get clear or clean fluid. you may use about 250ml of the cleaning solution. I think something like thinner should also work. keep the oil seal away as it will ruin the rubber. I any ways used a new oil seal

• Forum CEO

I have been using the same Scotts for 7 years now? The old girl got some 80k miles of use with it, 130k overall and well it performed well. The Scotts has the magnet in it too, and often catches small magnetic particles - cleaning it there was ususally a paste stuck to the magnet. The metallic body has ribs that serve as a heat sump too. I put it on the veefalo after I salvaged it from my wreck that was the old 98 800, not it lives on for the 1200. I change oil after 3k usually unless I am going on a 5k ride, which is often! Its usually 4k from my house to Tmac and back to my house.

Thanks Anik...

BTW Which way does the oil actually flow through this thing??

If when cleaning you're blasting from inside out, then oil flow must go from the outside to the inside right? So it would be important to make sure no particles end up on the inside of the filter piece??

It flows just like a paper filter, out into the cavity hole of the bike, then into the outter body of the filter housing, then into the filter media outside then into the threaded intake and back into the bike. so the particles are caught on the outside of the filter where you can see them. I wash it then flow hot water from the inside out forcing particles out of the media, I just use dish soap really! Then its dry in no time inspect it for damage and put it back on.

• 1 month later...

Hey thanks HS and Anik... mine is currently starting out paying for itself... also, no more having to go out and buy or have filters sent... clean and dry while waiting for oil to completely drain out of the sump.

Archived