Seat Upgrade Or Luggage

Guest Jimmy

I have both. I think both fit me about the same.

Sargent's customer service is far superior to Corbin.

I had to give up on Corbin, for twenty years they were my perferred seat.

I got my first Corbin for a 1987 Hurricane 1000F and have had about a dozen Corbins since but recently, NO WAY!!!

I went through the same thought process few days ago and decided to get the OEM side bags and top case for my 6th gen. The seat is next on my list, probably next year.

I use my bike mainly for commuting, so it is convenient for me to have the bags so that I can pick up some stuff and don't have to take the car out to go to the near by grocery store. This gives me more opportunity to ride my bike :)

I also thought about getting the soft bags and the seat, but I like the looks of the hard bag and with the top box back rest, my wife can be comfortable if she wants to ride with me.

I bought a Givi monokey rack about $155, and the large JC Whitney Chinese knock off top case for $45.

Rack was designed for the bike (5th gen), and the case locks onto rack like it was reverse engineered for it. Seems solidly made. :beer:

So you are saying the JC Whitney knock off case clips into the Givi baseplate? If so, do you have a link for the type of case you purchased?

Thanks.

Exactly. Snaps and locks. They must have bought a Givi and made a mold from it or something. At least the bottom where it connects to the Givi base plate, cuz it locks on and off easy, but while on it's not going anywhere.

Went through 100 mile ride of twisties, with getting in and out of town, and a bit of freeway Sunday. Got up to about 85 - 90 actual, 100+ indicated a few times. No vibration, no feeling of wind catching it or weird aerodynamics, no problem throwing a leg over the bike like with a tail bag on the back seat. If I didn't see the corners of it in the mirrors, wouldn't now it was there. I would like to compare it to a Givi box side by side, can't be as nice. Bought a VFRD button off Cafe Press to replace the iron cross, and a 30" roll of reflective Duck tape from Waldomart to go under the long red not reflective lens for $3. Only a short test and still have to do those mods, but so far so good. :wink:

It is item # 277022 in case link no workee.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/22-1/2in-w-x-16-1/2in-l-x-11in-h-large-matte-black-travel-trunk/p2010969.jcwx?skuId=346517&filterid=d59528y1998j1u0

• Member Contributer

Just sold my corbin beatle bags to a member here. I loved the looks fit. They literally looked like a stock 5th gen hard bags should look. If they were detachable I would likely have kept them. I have one of Ken's Solo Racks and a top case. I find that and a decent size tank bag will get you through most weekend ride situations carefully packed. I've taken a full two changes of clothes a 1 man tent and sleeping bag and inflatable twin mattress with some creative bungee work. Top case is the hot ticket. Key removable luggage is the only way to go IMO.

I've gone through two corbin seats. Extremely well made. Butt for comfort the Sargent seat is the best of the two for my money.

Top case is the hot ticket. Key removable luggage is the only way to go IMO.

Forgot to add, wish I had one of these when I had no cage, only a bike.

Some loaves of bread would have not got squished,

and a few things that slipped free of the bungees over the years might still be in my possession. :goofy:

Bought a VFRD button off Cafe Press to replace the iron cross, and a 30" roll of reflective Duck tape from Waldomart to go under the long red not reflective lens for $3.

That's kind of stupid on their part. Are you saying that it is a reflector but not very good or it is merely decorative and no reflective properties?

Does that lens pop off and go back on with the tape under it relatively easy?

Bought a VFRD button off Cafe Press to replace the iron cross, and a 30" roll of reflective Duck tape from Waldomart to go under the long red not reflective lens for $3.

That's kind of stupid on their part. Are you saying that it is a reflector but not very good or it is merely decorative and no reflective properties?

Does that lens pop off and go back on with the tape under it relatively easy?

Do you have any recommendations for a good reflective tape? I just bought the OEM Red hard side cases and want to put some reflective tape.

• Member Contributer

Yes, the red lense on the JC Whiney trunks is just that, a red lense with a strip of white paper underneath. IIR, there are just a few small phillips head screws that hold the lense on the trunk. Remove the lense, put some reflective tape in place of the paper and replace the lense. I did this on my last VFR and painted the nasty dull orange strip that runs around the front of the trunk, level with the lense. I used a satin black Krylon rattle can and it was a good match with the rest of the case. I also mounted it using a Ventura Pack Rack with the tall hoop removed and the JC Whiney mounting plate attached. It all worked fine for me for 3 cross country trips. Addicted2tc has the bike/trunk now but here is a pic of it prior to her taking over.

tn_gallery_581_5735_1608229.jpg

100_2127_0012_012.jpg

• Member Contributer

I bought a Givi monokey rack about $155, and the large JC Whitney Chinese knock off top case for $45.

Rack was designed for the bike (5th gen), and the case locks onto rack like it was reverse engineered for it. Seems solidly made. :beer:

So you are saying the JC Whitney knock off case clips into the Givi baseplate? If so, do you have a link for the type of case you purchased?

Thanks.

2thdr, I do believe that the JCW trunk will fit onto the Givi base. This is the link for two sizes of JCW trunks. The one pictured above on my old VFR is the LARGE size. I figured that if I was buying more space, why not go big!

http://www.jcwhitney.com/garage-pro-universal-motorcycle-travel-trunks/p2010969.jcwx?filterid=c14603u0j1

• Member Contributer

Sounds like a good buy then, at less than half the cost of the Givi B33. I already have a ginormous E46, but wanted something smaller for solo trips.

Mailman has it right. The lens unscrews easily from inside the case, and has white paper behind it.

Black paint on the orange stripe, I like that. :beer:

Was also wondering how soft saddle bags would looks with the hard top case.

Not bad, so thanks for the pic.

• 1 month later...

I was supposed to post this a while ago but wanted to make sure i actually liked the bags i bought. I do, these things are great! I did get them in early March i believe. I do plan on getting a top box that can hold at least one full size helmet. Meanwhile, I'm loving the warmer weather.

post-26606-0-95550300-1364919913.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased a medium and a small buttbuffer for my cb 2 years ago, the're great for long trips. IMO I would get the luggage and a set of buttbuffers. My 5 gen VFR has a sargent seat and I still use the buttbuffer for long rides

• 1 year later...

Anymore people out there with an opinion on Spencer seat reworking? For the $100 cost it's hard to pass up. I had a sargent on my 02 and wasn't a fan, same goes for Corbin. WAY overpriced for minimal improvement IMO

Russell All Day Long seat is going to run me $605 plus shipping there and back. I feel like I am being robbed :ph34r:

• Member Contributer

I bought my givi bags local to save shipping. Paid $220 for two e36's, then bought the sw motech rack from twisted throttle. Best money I ever spent on the bike but that's because it came with a Corbin. : )-

• 4 weeks later...

Anymore people out there with an opinion on Spencer seat reworking? For the $100 cost it's hard to pass up. I had a sargent on my 02 and wasn't a fan, same goes for Corbin. WAY overpriced for minimal improvement IMO

Russell All Day Long seat is going to run me $605 plus shipping there and back. I feel like I am being robbed :ph34r:

Well I got my seat back from Spencer last night. Looks superb! Got to ride to work today, only 20 miles, but I feel a fair more supported and didn't get into the tank like I did in the past. Will see of the improvements when my wife is on with me. Looking forward to breaking it in and years of enjoyment.

I opted for the Supracore on both sections. Spencer is a super easy guy to do business with and the turnaround was fast. UPS was slow as mole-asses getting it there and back, but the work itself took only a few days.

Archived