Seat Upgrade Or Luggage

Guest Jimmy

Hello everyone,

I was wondering what would be better to look into buying first, a seat or some luggage? Corbin sells a combo w/backrest for about $700 roughly and Givi has their set up with E21 sides and a E36 top w/backrest for about the same $700. Im debating only because my 7yr old has done some riding with me in the past on a sportster and a honda shadow both with backrest both no longer in my garage. I feel that the three bag set up will be more secure for him but the Corbin would be better for me. I have other kids that like to ride out to the coast with me in the summer so +1 on the seat upgrade. On the other hand, i commute to work and the E21 hard cases would be perfect for storing rain gear and misc stuffs... so +1 there. I have considered other options such as a sargent seat, but no backrest... so -1.

Anyway I cant decide so i thought i'd turn here to you all for a little feedback. What would you buy first?

• Member Contributer

No ad but check davidsilverspares for nos Honda hard bags. Scored 6 gen cases for $402 shipped.

• Member Contributer

I am not sure what your budget is but with some tedious shopping you might be able to afford both! Check craigs list and score a deal on some lightly used luggage for your Gen 5. I have seen them for as little as $300. Some good deals to be had and most of the time they are as good as new. There are always Sargent seats floating around there and ebay as well. There is even one in the classifieds right now that is "like new" for far less than new. I purchased a Sargent for my Gen 5 and love it. My butt is allergic to Corbin seats. You might be able to get both but just be patient. Always good deals in the off season! Good luck!

Liking the feedback guys, thanks. I did think about shopping for some deals on CL and ebay but figured that when i have money in hand nothing would be around. I never did consider buying used luggage. I will be on the look out for it now though. I probably could get both slightly used for about that same $700....

Liking the feedback guys, thanks. I did think about shopping for some deals on CL and ebay but figured that when i have money in hand nothing would be around. I never did consider buying used luggage. I will be on the look out for it now though. I probably could get both slightly used for about that same $700....

I have a used 5th gen Corbin seat I am going to put up for sale this week in the classifieds. I had it recovered about a year ago by a local seat place. PM if you are interested.

I have a used 5th gen Corbin seat I am going to put up for sale this week in the classifieds. I had it recovered about a year ago by a local seat place. PM if you are interested.

PM'd sir

No ad but check davidsilverspares for nos Honda hard bags. Scored 6 gen cases for $402 shipped.

texasvfr, I checked out the site http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/ and didn't find any bags for the fifth gen. Don't think Honda made OEM bags for gen 5.

• Member Contributer
Hello everyone,

I was wondering what would be better to look into buying first, a seat or some luggage? Corbin sells a combo w/backrest for about $700 roughly and Givi has their set up with E21 sides and a E36 top w/backrest for about the same $700. Im debating only because my 7yr old has done some riding with me in the past on a sportster and a honda shadow both with backrest both no longer in my garage. I feel that the three bag set up will be more secure for him but the Corbin would be better for me. I have other kids that like to ride out to the coast with me in the summer so +1 on the seat upgrade. On the other hand, i commute to work and the E21 hard cases would be perfect for storing rain gear and misc stuffs... so +1 there. I have considered other options such as a sargent seat, but no backrest... so -1.

Anyway I cant decide so i thought i'd turn here to you all for a little feedback. What would you buy first?

On the other hand you can look at Sargent seats for ~$325 new on ebay, used for less. I have a Corbin on my 5th gen, my son has a Sargent on his. We are both very happy with our seats. I use soft luggage becasue I only use it several times a year on long trips.

I was not under the impression that Givi still sold the mounting hardware and brackets for the 5th Gen. Let me know how it turns out.

• Member Contributer

You cannot overestimate the practicality and useability of a top case. Having a bike without one is like having a car without a trunk. Get one with a backrest, you won't regret it.

• Member Contributer

There's a set of Beetle bags in the classified section for 450. I'm not selling, don't know what they come with, or the condition, but that's an option.

My brother has a 5th gen with Corbin seat and the backrest, and both he and his SO love it!

I was not under the impression that Givi still sold the mounting hardware and brackets for the 5th Gen. Let me know how it turns out.

They do actually. I emailed them asking for a quote. This was their reply.

Thank you for contacting GIVI motorcycle accessories. We appreciate the interest you have shown in

our products. Please see all options listed below.

VFR800 98-01

FZ257 Topcase mounting hardware $178.00

PL257 & FZ257 Sidecase mounting hardware $341.00

PL257 & FZ257 Three case mounting hardware $341.00

The V35 will not fit this hardware.

Orders can be placed through your local motorcycle/accessories dealer.

Best Regards,

GIVI USA

I have been a Cobin fan in the past & I bought one with backrest again for my VFR so my daughters could ride with me. While I don't hate it, I certainly don't like is as much as my past Corbins. I say get the luggage.

• Member Contributer

My wife and my girls all like the secure feeling of a topcase with a backrest behind them. The nice thing about the Givi topcase is that it easily transfers to any bike that has luggage rack. All you have to buy is a relatively inexpensive mounting plate. I also have a Sargent seat on both bikes and really like that for comfort under the buns. Any funds left over can go to getting any missing gear for your little one...

I've had a Corbin seat and Beetle Bags on my bike for many years. My GF bought her own 2000 VFR, so rear passenger comfort isn't nearly as important to me anymore. I've used a backrest with the Corbin seat and I've also used a Givi trunk with a backrest pad on it before.

Her comments were the Corbin backrest sat a little further forward on the bike, giving less passenger room, but was comfortable. The trunk sat back giving more room, but seemed to bounce when hitting bumps. If she wasn't leaning back against the pad, it would hurt after a while. Normally she would lean slightly forward, so really didn't care for the trunk. The Corbin backrest was ultimately more comfortable for her.

texasvfr, I checked out the site http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/ and didn't find any bags for the fifth gen. Don't think Honda made OEM bags for gen 5.

They didn't/don't.

• 3 weeks later...

Get the luggage & send the seat out to be modded.

Agreed. Personally I would spend the cash on the luggage you want. I just had my stock seat modded by Spencer Seat Mods and it turned out great. I had him add the Supracor layer and the difference is amazing. It was only $75 for the work plush shipping to and from Florida....so roughly $100 total. Great deal!

• Member Contributer

LUGGAGE! I had a Corbin and luggage for my 4th gen and the luggage was one of the most useful things I did to that bike over the ten years I owned it. I sold the Corbin to another member here because it was NOT comfy at all for me. It felt like a 2x6 between my legs and angled my jewels right into the tank. My wife asolutely hated it because the passenger section was angled sharply toward me and she spent her whole day pushing back up to where she was suppose to be. I'm not sure if it was the steeper angle of the seat design or the slick leather surface but we got rid of that after just two long rides. The first thing I bought for my '07 when I bought it this past fall was a Givi trunk. Momma likes the backrest and I like the storage.

• Member Contributer

Get whatever seat you find comfortable. You'll either love or hate Corbin. The stock 5th gen seat is actually pretty good in my opinion. I got a Sargent 6th gen seat for 1/2 price because packing peanuts melted to the seat. Took an hour or two to get it back to perfect.

Make sure you get the Wingrack II with the crossbar if you go for GIVIs. Not sure what SW Motec has to offer. Hepco Becker offers racks for every honda bike ever made except the 90-09, excluding the crossrunner and crosstourer.

I acually just recovered my stock seat about two weeks ago. It suits me. I'm going to go for the luggage set. I can't find the wingrack kit for the 5th gen anywhere. Seems like everyone is out of stock. www.casporttouring.com has the 3 rack for a good price.I think this is what i will be ordering.

http://www.casporttouring.com/cst/motorcycle/Honda_VFR/PL257_FZ257.html

I kinda like the E21N's and the E36NJ from there also.

You may want to think about larger bags. On trips, I keep the top case relatively free, so that it will swallow one or two helmets and gloves at stops. I have a 45 liter Givi top case. I can fill my 36 liter side cases easily, when two up. Here in the desert, I carry lots of water, tools, tire patch kit, oil, inflator, etc. A little closer to civilization, would probably lighten up, but when I'm on roads, where I see another vehicle every half hour, I like to be self-sufficient. YMMV.

I bought a Givi monokey rack about $155, and the large JC Whitney Chinese knock off top case for $45.

Rack was designed for the bike (5th gen), and the case locks onto rack like it was reverse engineered for it. Seems solidly made. :beer:

• Member Contributer

I bought a Givi monokey rack about $155, and the large JC Whitney Chinese knock off top case for $45.

Rack was designed for the bike (5th gen), and the case locks onto rack like it was reverse engineered for it. Seems solidly made. :beer:

So you are saying the JC Whitney knock off case clips into the Givi baseplate? If so, do you have a link for the type of case you purchased?

Thanks.

I seem to remember some past seat discussions re Sargent vs. Corbin. Trend was that larger, heavier butts matched Corbin better and lighter butts favored Sargent. My butt is quite happy on my Corbin. I understand the Sargent also works better for those shorter in the inseam. I only know what my butt knows -- you know what I mean.

Givi, definitely.

Sargent's seats are the way to go.

Givi gets my vote.

Archived