Motad Header For 2000 Vfr

Primo

Okay, I can't seem to stop tweaking on the bike. I am considering the purchase of a Motad stainless header to rid myself of the CAT on my 2000 - I am currently stock with a high mount Staintune can - but I have a couple of questions. First of all, I didn't think that $459 from David Silver was all that much. Shipping is like $20. I thought they were higher.Okay here goes:

1. With the Motad header, can I retain my centerstand or does it need to go?

2. Since I have a PC V already and the O2 sensor eliminators, what do i need to block the exising bungs in the Motad header and where can I get these supplies?

3. What additional parts (gaskets, etc.) do I need to complete the installation? Is it OEM stuff?

4. Should I do any kind of wrap to the header or get it coated? Just asking because my right shin tends to get hot in warm weather.

5. Anything else I need to know about the installation from those that have done it?

6. Anyone's thoughts on this mod would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone - I can always count on you guys to help me spend my money and get the job done right!!!!

Primo

I don't, but if you're gonna get a replacement, go for the '98-'99 SS replacement model, no cat, no bungs for the O2 sensors.

One less thing to worry about. Don't have to plug them if they aren't there.

As for wrapping, people with mild steel headers have reported that they rust real bad, as the wrap retains moisture when the bike isn't running.

With SS headers, maybe not so much of an issue I would think. Just a guess.

I know you're gonna need 4 new copper doughnut gaskets to seal against the cylinder heads. The rest of the system, I dunno if it uses OEM gaskets, or if Motad supplies some with the system. Email them and ask?

http://www.motad.co.uk/product.php?prod=VFR800+FW-F1+DownPipe+%26+Collector+Unit

D8HRrez.jpg

• Member Contributer

I ceramic coated then wrapped my headers. My bike is garage kept and so far, knock on wood, no issues with rust. I used the Honda '98-'99 VFR headers to get rid of the cat. Slightly larger diameter than the Y2K pipes and I ground down and polished the welds at the exhaust inlets to further smooth the flow. Significantly increased the cross sectional area of the pipe and they work great. You may want to look at getting a used set of 98 -99 pipes and have then ceramic coated.

That is the other option I have been considering. Thanks for your input. I see you are January on my calendar. I am December. By the way, I have followed Rush since the late 70s. My favorite band on the planet. How hard is the wrapping process for the header and what exactly did you use? Again, I appreciate the feedback.

Primo

i don't have Motad. I wanted them but came across a deal on the Delkevic system. Not SS so not as nice. Not sure how much different they are but I needed the 4 header gaskets and the two gaskets for the two rear header pipe connections (i butchered the originals). Got all six at the dealer. I also needed new clamps for the two rear header connections. I got those somewhere on line as the dealer wanted a silly price. The OEM system had a bolt hole mount just forward of the CAT, the Delkevics do not so alignment is a bit more difficult. Again, not sure about the Motad. Also, mine didn't have a tab for the center stand stopper so i kinda jury rigged one. In hindsight, i wish i just took the centerstand off. I'll do it someday but it requires removing the headers to get to one of the bolts and i don't feel like messing with it right now. I like the look w/o the cat and the exhaust note is much 'sweeter' IMO. Here is a pic, not sure it helps.

gallery_10230_5899_4981449.jpg

Well, I have no patience so I went ahead and ordered the Motad header from David Silver Spares. I will let you all know how the installation goes. Might just leave it unwrapped for now and bolt it on.

Primo

• Member Contributer

Looking forward to pics and fitment quality. Let me know how this works for you Primo. I am interested in this set up myself. Also, can you provide the link to where you purchased them at?

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

There is a new kid on the block, at least i haven't heard much of them in the past. Black Widow, make a system similar to Motad but half the price. No springs like Delkevic all welded. Apparently they go a nice bronze after a while as well if not treated to ceramic coating or wrapping.

I am getting a set during the winter for the old girl.

Archived