Pair Removal Question For 5Th Gen

indianagenius

I do not think it is necessary to remove the air box. But you will need to prop up your gas tank with a short length of 2x4. Then IIRC there two hoses (one hose in the front and one in the back) and then you will need two rubber caps that can be bought in NAPA that you will need to cap off on the air box too. Somewhere on this board is the part number for those rubber caps in a how-to.

This project is complete. It was not easy but I'm not the best mechanic. The rear PAIR is no problem. The front PAIR and complete removal of the solenoid valve/hoses is a challenge. It is very tight up there.

Any changes notice ?

I have not ridden the bike since the PAIR removal, so can't report. I only let the bike idle and come up to temp. and gave it some RPM's. Our weather is poor. Still have snow melt on roads. Maybe this weekend.

IG

Would these mod's apply to a '98 also ?

Yes, the '98 and '99 engines are identical. If you get serious about this, I can help. There are many helpful PAIR threads on this site, but all the info. isn't in one place.

IG

Any changes notice ?

I have not ridden the bike since the PAIR removal, so can't report. I only let the bike idle and come up to temp. and gave it some RPM's. Our weather is poor. Still have snow melt on roads. Maybe this weekend.

IG

Did you remove all the PAIR plumbing (pump, hoses etc) ? or just disconnect the hoses atop of the cylinder heads ? IME, you'll get better idle and low-speed running if you block off the air output feed at the front of the airbox to the PAIR pump. And yes, do a starter valve synch.

Any changes notice ?

IG

Did you remove all the PAIR plumbing (pump, hoses etc) ? or just disconnect the hoses atop of the cylinder heads ? IME, you'll get better idle and low-speed running if you block off the air output feed at the front of the airbox to the PAIR pump. And yes, do a starter valve synch.

Yes, all of the plumbing is gone. Yes, the airbox output port was blocked with a cap that came with my kit.

IG

• Member Contributer

Yes, the '98 and '99 engines are identical. If you get serious about this, I can help. There are many helpful PAIR threads on this site, but all the info. isn't in one place.

IG

Thanks. I'll let you know.

What is the reason for doing this mod ?

IG

My reasons are:

1. Reduce or eliminate the slight backfire/popping on decel due to the aftermarket exhaust and PAIR system.

2. Get rid of the hardware associated with the PAIR system. It clogs the area under the airbox. Will make future maintenance easier. Won't have to remove hoses, etc..

IG

My reasons are:

1. Reduce or eliminate the slight backfire/popping on decel due to the aftermarket exhaust and PAIR system.

2. Get rid of the hardware associated with the PAIR system. It clogs the area under the airbox. Will make future maintenance easier. Won't have to remove hoses, etc..

What?

I have "an aftermarket exhaust" and have never had any "backfire/popping on decel". As for the PAIR system "clogging the area under the airbox" and this making maintenance difficult, I've owned my '01 for 9 years and this hasn't been an issue either.

I *did* disable the PAIR valves once (even had some flash blanking plates to fit) and I reckon the engine ran worse, so I put it back how it was. FWIW, the only engine-related mods the bike has are a BMC airfilter and O2-sensor eliminators, and it runs pretty well (it will wheelie when accelerating hard in 1st and 2nd). All that unnecessary hardware can stay there forever as far as I'm concerned; out of sight, out of mind.

• Member Contributer

I enjoy taking the extra crap off of my bikes engine. Charcoal canister, pair system and related plumbing are in a box on a shelf out of sight out of mind. Oil changes easier with out the coffee can down there. Snap crack and pops are gone from the intake and exhaust note. Nothing major is accomplished by removing the pair like some mention you don't necessarily notice the pops and crackles. It's not a difficult mod. If you do your own maintenance like valve checks and adjustments, you will enjoy less crap hanging off of your air box and valve covers. I still check my valves now and then even though they have never been out of adjustment in over 80k miles. But the valve cover gaskets get old and will seep oil if they aren't changed once in a while.

• 4 months later...

IG

My reasons are:

What?

I have "an aftermarket exhaust" and have never had any "backfire/popping on decel". As for the PAIR system "clogging the area under the airbox" and this making maintenance difficult, I've owned my '01 for 9 years and this hasn't been an issue either.

I *did* disable the PAIR valves once (even had some flash blanking plates to fit) and I reckon the engine ran worse, so I put it back how it was. FWIW, the only engine-related mods the bike has are a BMC airfilter and O2-sensor eliminators, and it runs pretty well (it will wheelie when accelerating hard in 1st and 2nd). All that unnecessary hardware can stay there forever as far as I'm concerned; out of sight, out of mind.

Ok so I'm thinking now about these 02 sensor eliminators,and syching the starter valves/pair valve elimination?? is sychning the same as balancing the carbs on my st1100? hook up the 4? vacuum pipes that are blanked off at the sides of the airbox?

you can tell I haven't really much of a clue about what I'm saying but thankfully I have a good mate who is handy at bike mechanics,

I am getting a lot of vibration in the left footpeg in particular and some in the bars as well.

just wondering what the cure for the vibration might be,my mpg isn't great but I tend to ride like hell so that probably is a very big factor in mpg.

• Member Contributer

I don't know about the NZ/Euro models, but removing the PAIR system on my CA bike made 99% of the previous decel popping go away, and removing the airbox much easier. No difference in performance or fuel mileage that I can tell.

I did a sync on it at that time, and it was pretty damn close according to my picky home-made manometer.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Removed this in the spring. At first I thought it was old gas but at stoplights this thing stinks! New gas didnt change that but either case my pops be gone. This may be in my head but on low speed starts it seems to labor a tiny bit more, but maybe the rider needs to stop putting on the lbs.

• 1 year later...

Archived