Second Annual Hog Tie - Sep 13-15, 2013 - Event Thread

Yokel

• Member Contributer

No razorbacks please...remember it's hard to be humble when you're a Sooner!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last year Sept was my first time in NW Ark.

The red razorback image was everywhere.

WalMart store, OMG LOL insane. :goofy:

I had to buy a shirt with the logo. Partly because I sweated through everything I brought.

Hopefully the weather will be more pleasant than 90 some degrees and 90 some % of humidity like last time. Melting....

90's and 100+ here last few days. There is definitely something to be said for the dry heat vs the sauna. The sweat dries off to some degree.

90+ is still too hot though. :rolleyes:

This would top my longest trip ever by a long shot.

That was 20+ years ago, and about 2,000 mile round trip to Oregon.

Paper maps only back then.

This is about 1600 miles one way according to google maps.

That's mostly freeway, and I don't want to slab it more than necessary.

So maybe more like 3,500 - 4,000 or more.

There's a little trepidation on my part. But reading Olives posts is inspiring.

You know, if a semi normal woman * can do this, I sure can. :wheel:

* motorcycle maniacs of either sex are not normal imho. :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Hey Jon,

09zzz (Rod, BMW S1000rr guy) emailed me and says he is in for the Hub in September. He really enjoyed meeting everyone from VFRD and riding in the area.

• Member Contributer

I had to buy a shirt with the logo. Partly because I sweated through everything I brought.

Hopefully the weather will be more pleasant than 90 some degrees and 90 some % of humidity like last time. Melting....

90's and 100+ here last few days. There is definitely something to be said for the dry heat vs the sauna. The sweat dries off to some degree.

90+ is still too hot though. :rolleyes:

This would top my longest trip ever by a long shot.

That was 20+ years ago, and about 2,000 mile round trip to Oregon.

Paper maps only back then.

Lee, have you ever used an evaporative cooling vest? For much of your ride you will be in low humidity areas where the cooling vest would be extremely effective. I used to use one in the summers when I lived in Spokane. www.soundrider.com has a good vest. The ones that have a collar are better than the V-neck variety. I just carry mine in a small to medium sized dry bag (like kayakers use), pre-soaked. Then when the temps start to climb, I pull it out and refresh it with some cold water at a rest stop, put it on under my jacket (with a polyester t-shirt on, no cotton!), and voila', instant air conditioning. Depending on relative temps and humidity, you will have to refresh it at subsequent stops. At first it feels kinda weird to be wearing a wet vest under your gear, but it works really well with textile and especially mesh gear. It won't work very well with leather of course.

Not quite sure how I ended up on the confirmed list, but it's not going to work out. I had unscheduled trips to Arkansas and Texas last month that have eliminated my possibility of attending. Y'all have fun.

Hey Jon,

09zzz (Rod, BMW S1000rr guy) emailed me and says he is in for the Hub in September. He really enjoyed meeting everyone from VFRD and riding in the area.

RSVP list-

Confirmed:

Yokel (+2 to 5 people.)
2thdr
Gswanson
00Yeller
GadiantonRob
VcFR
Argsxrlady
Huntingguns
Dutchinterceptor

Earthshake

Adam79 (+the epic pillion, Leslie)

Luvtoleanit

Gloryracing

VFR4LEE

RUSH2112

FtWorthVFR

09zzz

Tentative:
HispanicSlammer
RominalVFR
Cornercarver
Vecky5

JeffInFranklinTN (tentatively tenting)

Slither

Lee, have you ever used an evaporative cooling vest? For much of your ride you will be in low humidity areas where the cooling vest would be extremely effective. I used to use one in the summers when I lived in Spokane. www.soundrider.com has a good vest. The ones that have a collar are better than the V-neck variety. I just carry mine in a small to medium sized dry bag (like kayakers use), pre-soaked. Then when the temps start to climb, I pull it out and refresh it with some cold water at a rest stop, put it on under my jacket (with a polyester t-shirt on, no cotton!), and voila', instant air conditioning. Depending on relative temps and humidity, you will have to refresh it at subsequent stops. At first it feels kinda weird to be wearing a wet vest under your gear, but it works really well with textile and especially mesh gear. It won't work very well with leather of course.

Good thought, thanks. I have a tubelike thing full of water holding crystals or something for my neck that helps.

Forget what it's called, but this sounds better. I'll check it out. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Not quite sure how I ended up on the confirmed list, but it's not going to work out. I had unscheduled trips to Arkansas and Texas last month that have eliminated my possibility of attending. Y'all have fun.

Hey Jon,

RSVP list-

Confirmed:

Yokel (+2 to 5 people.)

2thdr

Gswanson

00Yeller

GadiantonRob

VcFR

Argsxrlady

Huntingguns

Dutchinterceptor

Earthshake

Adam79 (+the epic pillion, Leslie)

Luvtoleanit

Gloryracing

VFR4LEE

RUSH2112

FtWorthVFR

09zzz

Tentative:

HispanicSlammer

RominalVFR

Cornercarver

Vecky5

JeffInFranklinTN (tentatively tenting)

Slither

Thanks for the heads-up!

• Member Contributer

Really going to have to think about bringing my wife and riding the ST. I need to include her more on rides and the social aspect of what we do...now to push down that selfish side of me that says "no way man!...bring the hooligan bike!"

• Member Contributer

Really going to have to think about bringing my wife and riding the ST. I need to include her more on rides and the social aspect of what we do...now to push down that selfish side of me that says "no way man!...bring the hooligan bike!"

I'm bringing the truck... want me to carry the hooligan bike in case she wants to have an afternoon off?

Hell yeah, bring that little thing. I will set out some cones in the parking lot and we can all do some flat trackin timed laps with it...after dinner and a few refreshing beverages of course! It would be a hoot!

• Member Contributer

Get her on her own bike. That would solve the issue. ;)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer
I'm bringing the truck... want me to carry the hooligan bike in case she wants to have an afternoon off?
Dang now you've gone and done it! My cake and eat it too? Have to consider you offer Jon...Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

We had a bike for her, Kawi 650R...she just quit riding when we moved here...too much traffic for her coming from Liberty Lake , Washington.Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Jon -

I've been MIA from this site (and riding in general) for a couple years. Just now getting back into it and saw the Hog Tie event. Got a room reserved just now so I'm in! Looking forward to getting reaquainted with VFR riders I've met and meeting new ones. I plan to arrive Thursday night and will begin to work my way home on Sunday.

In case you've begun to take advance orders for the t-shirts, I'd like to get an XL.

Thanks for planning this - I know it will be a blast!

veequattrorazzo

(Mark)

• Member Contributer

I'll vouch for veequatro. Met him at one of Lee's rides. He's no worse than any of us misfits. Still hoping to make the ride, but new job may get in the way.

Still not quite ready to commit and pull the trigger on this.

Waiting to hear from my daughter and family if the timing works for them, it may not. :unsure:

Hope so, because it sounds like good riding and good people.

I already know the scenery is good. :beer:

I'll post up when I'm sure.

• Member Contributer

My schedule is not cooperating at the moment but I'm gonna try my best to get up there even if it's just for Saturday. I'll have to spoon on some stickier tires this time so I can keep Mark & Ellen in sight! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear, Dutch. Although, you have to be one of the toughest day-long riders around...

Just sayin.

• Member Contributer

REMINDER:

The Hub will start to sell the block of rooms reserved for VFRD on August 1.

If you haven't made your reservation, call Debbie.

Archived