Second Annual Hog Tie - Sep 13-15, 2013 - Event Thread

Yokel

I'm lots of miles away here. Still thinking of road trip to visit Grandsons and their parents in Fayetteville in Sept.

Test ride yesterday 472 mile with new superbike bar on the VFR says comfort level is much improved, all day good. I think can do this 2 week road trip OK. :cool:

Would like to at least meet up for a day ride with some of you, if timing works out. And I do this trip.

Looks like there are some real good roads in the area, and it would be nice to ride with someone familiar with it. :beer:

One question. I like Bikes, Blues, and BBQ, but is this event kid friendly?

Kind of sounds like a Harley thing I might as well avoid.

Guess I'll look for my daughters thoughts on that too. :sleep:

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I've never been to the event, but all indications are that it is a huge pirate gathering with lots of loud a$$ pipes, excessive drinking, and all the rest that goes along with that crowd. I'm sure it's a relative few that spoil it for the majority, but you would need to not be bothered by the constant throttle blipping of the open pipe V-twins...

Thanks man, I had that impression. Looks like they have a few group ride loops posted.

I'll guess further those will be like a slow parade, and I don't want to be there.

The VFRD weekend sounds more like my speed. Still grinding gears in my head over what to do. :wink:

• Member Contributer

BBB is just a smaller version of Sturgis I'd guess. A few years ago while shooting on the Pig Trail, I had to help rescue 5 downed Harley's all within a couple of hours. They couldn't seem to negotiate the switchbacks on the Pig Trail. There were hundreds and hundreds of them clogging up the beautiful roads.

My daughter says there a lot of inappropriately dressed older women there.

Pass. The younger ones make much better eye candy. :goofy::beer:

• Member Contributer

My daughter says there a lot of inappropriately dressed older women there.

Pass. The younger ones make much better eye candy. :goofy::beer:

Where can we find them? :beer:

Bikes, blues n BBQ has grown to be a huge major event. Yes, it is a motorcycle rally so there will be some activity/sights at nite but nothing anywhere near as bad as many rally's. I have been many times and have never seen any nudity. I would not be concerned at all to bring a child there during the day.

It is NOT just a pirate harley event. There will be as many, or more, bikes that are NOT Harleys. It is one of the aspects of the event that makes it unique. I enjoy the event because you will see every kind of bike and rider (mini bikes to what the hell was that and everything inbetween). I go over and test ride bikes almost every year. I want to ride a Ninja 1000 this year. The vendors are obviously skewed to cruiser style stuff, because that is the largest segment of potential buyers but there is some stuff that crosses over for our needs. If you enjoy motorcycles it is an event that I would suggest you experience at least once. The Saturday car show is always interesting as well.

Regarding riding during the event...stay away from the area! There are so many bikes, 400,000 to 500,000, the roads are just too clogged. If you want to ride that weekend, you must be east of hiway 23. We stay east of 21. And you will still see some straggling groups of bikes traveling through the area.

Don't be skeered...check it out if you can. You just might enjoy the experience.

• Member Contributer

Hey Jon,

Add me to the list! I just called and left a message with Randall to reserve my room checking in Thursday night leaving Sunday (Debbie called back to confirm). Looking forward to seeing, riding, and making merry with everyone again this year. Had a BLAST last year!!!

BTW... in the first post, please diregard the first 25 seconds of the video with the Yellow VFR. Rumor has it that gentleman's sunglasses were hanging out of his tank bag as the group took off and he was fumbling to get them situated...

• Member Contributer

Bikes, blues n BBQ has grown to be a huge major event. Yes, it is a motorcycle rally so there will be someactivity/sights at nite but nothinganywhere near as bad as manyrally's. I have been many times and have never seen any nudity. I would not be concerned at all to bringa child there during the day.

It isNOT just a pirate harley event.There will be as many, or more, bikes that areNOT Harleys. It is one of the aspects of the event that makes it unique. I enjoy the event because you will see every kind of bike and rider (mini bikes to what the hell was that and everything inbetween). I go over and test ride bikes almost every year. I want to ride a Ninja 1000 this year. The vendors are obviously skewed to cruiser style stuff, because that is the largest segment of potential buyers but there is some stuff that crosses over for our needs. If youenjoy motorcycles it is an event that I would suggest you experience at least once. The Saturday car show is always interesting as well.

Regarding riding during the event...stay away from the area! There are so many bikes, 400,000 to 500,000, the roads are just too clogged. If you want to ride that weekend, you must be east of hiway 23.We stay east of 21. And you will still see some straggling groups of bikes traveling through the area.

Don't be skeered...check it out if you can. You just might enjoy the experience.

Thanks for the information gloryracing. All the information I got said it was a pretty mixed crowd. Like any other event you have some bad mixed in. I just want to go to be able to check it out and say I have been there. From what I hear they have some great food at the event. Looking forward to seeing you again at the Hog Tie and maybe you can give me a heads up on what roads to use during the BBB.

Sent from my crazy hand held thingy using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

I'm lots of miles away here. Still thinking of road trip to visit Grandsons and their parents in Fayetteville in Sept.

Test ride yesterday 472 mile with new superbike bar on the VFR says comfort level is much improved, all day good. I think can do this 2 week road trip OK. :cool:

Would like to at least meet up for a day ride with some of you, if timing works out. And I do this trip.

Looks like there are some real good roads in the area, and it would be nice to ride with someone familiar with it. :beer:

2-week ride? Sounds like it will be pretty awesome! You'll be going through some of the best country the U.S. has to offer, including KANSAS or the OK/TX panhandles! You know, the roads are dead flat and ruler straight through there... however the crosswinds make it like you're leaning through a 300+ mile sweeping turn at 80mph. :) Gotcha down!

Hey Jon,

Add me to the list! I just called and left a message with Randall to reserve my room checking in Thursday night leaving Sunday (Debbie called back to confirm). Looking forward to seeing, riding, and making merry with everyone again this year. Had a BLAST last year!!!

BTW... in the first post, please diregard the first 25 seconds of the video with the Yellow VFR. Rumor has it that gentleman's sunglasses were hanging out of his tank bag as the group took off and he was fumbling to get them situated...

Awesome! Glad to hear you'll be back out again. (Check your back tire before you come out. :goofy: )

Gotcha on the list!

• Member Contributer

Added some information to post 1 regarding invitations, name tags and liquor connections if you're so inclined.

Think I might have a couple buddies on Harleys coming... I had to invite more than one so they don't feel lonely and have someone to ride with. :goofy:

The more the merrier...don't matter what they ride. Besides, them Harleys are some good looking bikes.

I know you are not wanting to do a 'lot' of planning for the event...but, perhaps you should have an award for the person that travels the farthest to the event. And additionally an even better prize for the person that travels the least amount of distance! :biggrin:

Iffin you need help with setup you know I am willing to pitch in.

• Member Contributer

The more the merrier...don't matter what they ride. Besides, them Harleys are some good looking bikes.

I know you are not wanting to do a 'lot' of planning for the event...but, perhaps you should have an award for the person that travels the farthest to the event. And additionally an even better prize for the person that travels the least amount of distance! :biggrin:

Iffin you need help with setup you know I am willing to pitch in.

Good idea. Were there for you also Jon. Just let us know what we can do to help. I can dig through my boxes and find a donation or two for prizes also. I think I have an NEP throttle lock stashed away our something like that if that will work.

Sent from my crazy hand held thingy using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

Thank you all for the offers to help... I'm sure we'll be talking as the date approaches.

Stand up group here, thanks so much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Just got off the phone with Debbie at the Hub.

We're still the only official group that's going to be there that weekend. Naturally that may change. There are still several rooms available under the block I've reserved for VFRD, and several vacancies that aren't reserved.

As a reminder, we're releasing the tentative reservation on our block in August.

If you have not made reservations, I'd encourage you to do so! After all, hotel and gas is about all this trip is going to cost you!

There are 18 confirmed as I write this. There are 60 rooms. That's 1/3 booked, 4 months out. :cheerleader:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

We purchased these for the ride...the I.C.E. Cards (we will have self laminating protectors to put them in once the info is filled in) and a 20" x 36" banner for everyone to sign that we can leave with The Hub. Hope you like them.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

post-23677-13714118309473.jpg

post-23677-13714118427938.jpg

Shouldn't it have a red razor back hog on it? :beer:

The timing is fitting in for me. Right in the middle of a 2 week ride to visit family in Fayetteville.

Which I have been thinking about, and am almost ready to pull the trigger and make actual plans.

Need to buy a traveling suit from MotoPort. Maybe a Sargent seat. For sure a Go Pro camera.

Ordered a Tom Tom today, but that's a biz expense.

Probably wing it for motels along the way. Figure 4-5 days from LA to NWA.

Not sure how many miles I'll want to do in a day. Maybe I can squeeze in a night or 2 at the hub.

Still thinking on it. :sleep:

• Member Contributer

Not sure how many miles I'll want to do in a day. Maybe I can squeeze in a night or 2 at the hub.

West Coast to NWA! Sounds fabulous. Mid Sept. might work out for a ride South to test out my arm repairs. No promises but it is on my mind.

:3:

• Member Contributer

The timing is fitting in for me. Right in the middle of a 2 week ride to visit family in Fayetteville.

Which I have been thinking about, and am almost ready to pull the trigger and make actual plans.

Need to buy a traveling suit from MotoPort. Maybe a Sargent seat. For sure a Go Pro camera.

Ordered a Tom Tom today, but that's a biz expense.

Would love to have you out for sure... might win the "farthest ride in" award.

West Coast to NWA! Sounds fabulous. Mid Sept. might work out for a ride South to test out my arm repairs. No promises but it is on my mind.

:3:

That would be a hell of a story, Max. The whole reason this event started last year was that I was a bit miffed at missing any VFRD events, and sir, you're DUE!

Archived