Second Annual Hog Tie - Sep 13-15, 2013 - Event Thread

Yokel

• Member Contributer

Ladies and Gents, it’s happening again!

The 2nd (possibly annual) HOG TIE, September 13-15, 2013 in Harrison, Arkansas at the Hub Hotel.

After the great turnout last year, (and at the behest of many fanatics that seemed to enjoy themselves) I am putting out the call a little earlier this year to enable those needing to juggle vacation time ample opportunity to make the appropriate plans.
(I have found a sacrificial virgin and the weather gods have deemed it good. The weather this year will be as good as last year. You’re welcome.)

This year will include:
1.A cookout Friday night (13th). I’ll be bringing a truck and trailer this year and will tote along all the necessary bits to put together a burger/bratwurst/hotlink cook out.
2.Led groups for those that haven’t been to the area and are looking for a slower pace or a sightseeing group. There will be other groups looking for a faster pace, but I myself like to look around and take it relatively easy.

Once again, this year will be at the HUB HOTEL (www.hubinfo.com) as Randall and Debbie were fantastic for us last year. I’ve got a block of rooms reserved, tell Debbie that you’re with VFRD when you call to make reservations. No money is required up front, I think they keep reservations on Post-it notes. However, if you do cancel, please call them and advise so we’ve got an accurate tally of people coming out and availability of rooms. Rooms start at 60/night, campsites (the lawn) are 10/night and campsites have access to bathrooms. While accommodations are not the Ritz Carlton by any stretch of the imagination, the sheets are clean and the owners are wonderful. There is a restaurant on-site that’s open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and the food is pretty good. Randall makes his AMAZING prime rib on the weekends. There is a beer cooler for a small donation as the Hub is in a dry county. If you prefer to bring your own, there’s a store about 6 miles north of the hotel that sells beer.

Remember, this ride is NOT limited to VFR's. If you have some family or friends that you'd like to invite, help yourself. That's part of the beauty of not making a bunch of plans.

***Edit 5/7/13*** There's a new and fancy liquor store now about one mile north of the Hub.

What to expect:

If you decide to join us at this meet, I can promise you great roads, good food and wonderful people. Beyond that, this weekend will be what you make of it. I’m not good at planning things, so I don’t really even pretend to try any more. Ultimately, your enjoyment of this event depends on you. Come out, enjoy the scenery, the roads and the company. Don’t expect a weekend full of planned events for you, it won’t be there. Keep an open schedule and leave your OCD at the house.

I will provide T-shirts again this year, and will take pre-orders as the date approaches. I’ve still got some vintage 2012 tees available if you’re skinny or looking for some spare rags to wipe down your bike. Hopefully I can sweet-talk Grapes and Randy at Barefoot Designs to help out with that again this year.

***Added 5/7/13*** VcFR is planning on making some name badges/info cards up this year. This was one thing I'd hoped to do last year and just didn't work.

Take some time to start the conversation on this thread about finding riding partners and scheduling runs. The ONLY thing I’m scheduling is a meal on Friday night and a weekend at the hotel. While officially, the HOG TIE is Friday, Saturday and Sunday, don’t be surprised if a few show up early or stay late. (I’ll be there early, there’s a bunch of stuff in the area I want to go see and do.)

If last year is any indication, ride groups will be pretty much out the door by 9:00am and will filter back in and out throughout the day, coming in for the night an hour or so before sunset. Take time and ask questions to find a group that is within your skill-set. If you are not accustomed to this type of terrain, I would strongly encourage you to pair up with people who will be doing a slower pace. There’s not much room for error (Right Rush2112?) and we really REALLY don’t want anyone to have a mishap. Last year, nobody was cited or went down… I’d really love to keep that record. Try to keep rider groups to 5-6 people at most.

There will be PLENTY of talk about routes. Keep your eyes peeled for it.

This ride is NOT limited to those on VFRD, but I’m not advertising it anywhere except on this site. Friends, husbands, wives, main squeezes and kids are all welcome, no matter what they ride.

Here’s some clips from last year a few of us compiled, along with a couple screencaps of some good routes.

http://vimeo.com/50389681

http://youtu.be/H789O2QJR-I

http://youtu.be/4FCFt0q2K48

gallery_23869_6751_12523.png

gallery_23869_6751_672166.png

gallery_23869_6751_221210.png

RSVP list-

Confirmed:

Yokel (+2)
2thdr + Christina
Gswanson
00Yeller
GadiantonRob
VcFR
Argsxrlady
Huntingguns
Dutchinterceptor

Adam79 (+the epic pillion, Leslie) -

(Mr. Francis and the wife.)

Gloryracing + Ellen

RUSH2112 (+ the non-pillion, BEEMER ROD)

09zzz

veequattrorazzo

pluseb0

kyledonahue

JeffInFranklinTN

MaxSwell

Nick from Loooooouisiana on a purty red veefalo.

rdg59

Panamawing

Tentative:

HispanicSlammer
Vecky5

There are NO FEES for this event. The goal is to encourage as many as possible to take part, and we had a LOT of last-minute additions last year. That was a bunch of fun!

Keep your eye on this post as it may change if I add any information or need to communicate anything to the group.

Additional information on GROUPS:

Several folks have been kind enough to offer route suggestions or to lead a group. I feel that I would be doing a disservice to many of the folks planning on coming out without offering the following disclaimer- Take a moment to seriously consider your abilities. If you're a flat-lander (like me) you may want to take in to account that you will be surprised at the roads here. The pavement is generally good and offers a lot of traction (chip-seal) BUT the roads will be more technical than you're used to. Baileyrock has set the standard for making sure people find the right group, and he's posted some wonderful information on the TMAC threads that I'd encourage you to look up. While the roads in AR aren't quite as twisty as what can be found near Deal's Gap, they can still catch inexperienced riders off-guard. When I came over with the Triumph guys last year, 4 people rashed up their rides and two were hospitalized due to injury. Nobody wants that. It's far better to get into a sightseeing group and just enjoy the ride than it is to push yourself beyond your limits and pay for a poor decision.

Last year, I led the sightseeing group. Several of us would happily do that again, and any VFRD ride leader worth their salt wants you to get home in 1 piece. Do NOT hesitate to ride within (or below) your skill level, it will be fun regardless. Don't be surprised if the group you want to ride with veto's you. We've got some quick riders coming and they may ask you some honest questions about your experience. Give them honest answers and listen to what they say. Surely some of the folks from this area will be willing to either lead a group or offer route suggestions. Feel free to ask!

-Jon

Group lead volunteers-

Yokel (intermediate)

Huntingguns (sight-seeing, intermediate)

Gloryracing (good luck keeping up.)

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Awesome Jon! I was hoping this would be going again next year...

Last year was a blast. I'll be camping again, weather permitting. For those that haven't been, the camping is comfortable with tents pitched on grassy area, and access to "shower room" in motel. It's a good, low cost alternative or if the motel gets booked up.

Roads in northern Arkansas are to die for...a great time! Count me in!

• Forum CEO

I had a good time and the resturant at the Hub was awsome, 3 meals there and all were fantastic! The roads and the company of some of my favorite vfrd members, along with a few new friends was great too. I cant commit this early but I hope to come again.

• Member Contributer

Sign me up, last year was a blast. Good roads, food and company, it doesn't get much better than that. I intend to go down a day or two early to hit some more of the local roads...

• Member Contributer

Thanks for organizing another one! I put it on my calendar.

The HUB is a great location being central to the best roads in AR. It's certainly no 5-star hotel but it's affordable and the onsite restaurant makes up for any deficiency in room quality.

• Member Contributer
Sign me up, last year was a blast. Good roads, food and company, it doesn't get much better than that. I intend to go down a day or two early to hit some more of the local roads...

I'm planning on doing the same. I'll need to look again at my schedule as the time draws nearer, but I think I'll be out there by Wednesday to do some scouting.

I'll be there for sure again!

Wish we could have it in the spring as well!

No, Yokel and Yeller, I don't need gas money. :P

Spring may be Southern Missouri or Northern Arkansas for me... I'd really like to hit some of the national forests in the area and do some sight-seeing.

• Member Contributer

Put me down for this one Jon. I was a great time last year. I have a class that I have to attend for work at the FLETC center in Glynco right around the time that T-Mac is being held but if it falls right I am planning on attending that also.

My daughter and son in law live in Fayetteville with their 3 young sons.

My first time ever in AR was last Sept, I could see you guys have some good roads and pretty country.

But I came in by jet to XNA, so no riding. The kids kept Grandpa busy anyways. :laugh:

To the point, I'm thinking about a cross country ride to visit them and folks in Indiana and Illinois.

In September. Thinking about a fly and buy a bike and ride and sell it and fly deal with friends help.

Because it's about 1,600 miles from here to Fayetteville via slab.

More if I exit the slab. And who likes the slab? :unsure:

But that sounds like a hassle, so maybe I can easier take about 3 weeks off to ride my VFR from home.

Don't count me in, I'm just dreaming.

The JC Whitney "givi" trunk received, and sitting in my dining room,

and actual Givi rack ordered notwithstanding. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

The reservation at the Hub is complete. I'm planning on arriving on the 11th to reacquaint myself w/ some of the roads that DutchInterceptor introduced us to last year.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!!!

• Member Contributer

Jon, Thanks for organizing. I had a GREAT time last year!!! I'm hoping to make it since it isn't too far but the Mrs wants to take the kids to Disney one last time before they are too old and I'm commited to making it to T-Mac this year. Too little vacation time and so many things I want to do! I may end up arriving late Friday night like last year so I don't use up any vacation days. Put me down as a solid maybe... Hopefully, I'll be able to pull it off and see everyone again!

:)

• Member Contributer
Jon, Thanks for organizing. I had a GREAT time last year!!! I'm hoping to make it since it isn't too far but the Mrs wants to take the kids to Disney one last time before they are too old and I'm commited to making it to T-Mac this year. Too little vacation time and so many things I want to do! I may end up arriving late Friday night like last year so I don't use up any vacation days. Put me down as a solid maybe... Hopefully, I'll be able to pull it off and see everyone again!

We're going to pester you until you say "Uncle" and agree to make it!

• Member Contributer
My daughter and son in law live in Fayetteville with their 3 young sons.

My first time ever in AR was last Sept, I could see you guys have some good roads and pretty country.

But I came in by jet to XNA, so no riding. The kids kept Grandpa busy anyways. :laugh:

To the point, I'm thinking about a cross country ride to visit them and folks in Indiana and Illinois.

In September. Thinking about a fly and buy a bike and ride and sell it and fly deal with friends help.

Because it's about 1,600 miles from here to Fayetteville via slab.

More if I exit the slab. And who likes the slab? :unsure:

But that sounds like a hassle, so maybe I can easier take about 3 weeks off to ride my VFR from home.

Don't count me in, I'm just dreaming.

The JC Whitney "givi" trunk received, and sitting in my dining room,

and actual Givi rack ordered notwithstanding. :goofy:

Sounds like the makings of quite the road trip. Hope you can make it!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

If anyone is interested, the BBB (bikes, blues, and bbq) rally in Fayeteville is being held from September 18th - 21st. Since my agency just recently signed the agreement for a bargaining unit there are numerous changes that we are going through at work. 1 of them being that we have to hold a yearly leave bid process. This means that we have to submit 3 full week blocks of leave and it is approved by seniority. Since I am # 2 on the list I can pretty much get off anytime I need. Anyway, I am thinking about taking 1 of my week blocks from Sept 16th - 20th. I already have leave submitted for the 13th. This will put me in Arkansas from the 13th through the 22nd. I am planning on staying at the HUB for the entire week so I can attend the 2nd Annual Hog Tie, spend a couple of days playing around in Branson and other scenic places out there, and attending the BBB. I think I will have a couple of guys from work joining the Hog Tie this year and they would like to attend the BBB. So, if anyone else is interested in staying a couple of days after Hog Tie is completed I should have an extra space for them to stay in my room.

• Member Contributer

Room is booked Jon. I also turned in my leave for September the 13th - 22nd. Been looking at the event calendar for the BBB in Fayeteville and it looks like it is going to be a good time so I booked my room for the entire week. VcFR will leave on the 15th to head home so I will have an extra space in the room for the rest of the week if anyone is interested in staying a couple of extra days after the Hog Tie is finished.

• Member Contributer
Room is booked Jon. I also turned in my leave for September the 13th - 22nd. Been looking at the event calendar for the BBB in Fayeteville and it looks like it is going to be a good time so I booked my room for the entire week. VcFR will leave on the 15th to head home so I will have an extra space in the room for the rest of the week if anyone is interested in staying a couple of extra days after the Hog Tie is finished.

Gotcha down, Fred. T-Mac is looking iffy for me this year despite all my hopes. If you're planning some extra time in AR, I can definitely do that.

We're going to pester you until you say "Uncle" and agree to make it!

Consider this the official "pester" #2...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Jon,

It is definate. I will spend the whole week out there. I have an extra space after my wife leaves on Sunday if you want to stay for a few more days. I might have room for more depending on how many of the guys from work are going to stay the week. Since we have to submit leave blocks now I just took the whole week and a couple of guys from work are going to tag along this time. Rooms are filling up fast though. Debbie said they were already getting booked up when I called her a couple of weeks ago. Since me and the wife have the Scala's, we can volunteer to be a lead/sweep team if needed. I have already mapped out a couple of routes that I would like to run this time. Just let me know.

• Member Contributer

Awesome, thanks Fred!

Yeah, guess the word is out on the Hub. Makes me pretty happy for Debbie and Randall.

I'm stockpiling vacation time for this run this year, hope to spend a week in the area futzing around. Guess we'll see!

• Member Contributer

Hmmm, I have a father in Rodgers I haven't seen for a couple of years. Maybe it's time for a road trip.

Put me down as a tentative...I really want to ride the Pig Trail and make a similar trip as the 2010 trek to NY 1200 miles there and only 73 on interstate. Bill, you mind if I tag along?

Archived