Considering 1985 Vf500 Interceptor With 43K Miles

Guest cogs

I hope this is the right place for this question. I am considering a 1985 VF500 on Craigslist for my second bike which looks to be in good condition (I'm actually going to test that theory tomorrow) but it seems like $1900 is a pretty high asking price for a 27 year old bike with 43k miles on it.

So I was wondering how many miles people tend to get out of these bikes, and what would be a fair counter-offer for a bike of this age and distance travelled (or if it's worth the effort at all)? The ad says the bike needs nothing, and that it was owned and maintained by a Motorcycle Safety Foundation RiderCoach, but even assuming that is true and it was well maintained, what could I expect from this bike?

A couple pictures for your perusal.

post-26438-0-40990900-1353691253.jpg

post-26438-0-51320500-1353691259.jpg

post-26438-0-20103200-1353691385.jpg

Thanks for any help!

I'm not an expert on the vf500f, but I have a vf750f and a vf1000f. the 750 has 24 000 miles and the 1000 has 40000 miles. you will have to do more maintenance but it is worth it. also the price is way to high. I bought my vf750f with half the miles for $1000, running. Definetly go check the bike out, but I wouldnt pay more than $1200 on it.

If the bike actually looks in person as it does in the pix, you don't find many that nice. I paid 1K for mine with 22K on the clock, but it needed some TLC, a good cleaning and paint touch-up on some small nicks, carbs cleaned, valves adjusted and taking care of a few electrical glitches, only maintenance cash spent was for an o-ring kit for the carbs, new tires, brake pads.I have put just short of 4K on it so far with no problems whatsoever. Listen for loose valves, cam chain rattle and of course exhaust smoke. Stick you finger inside the muffler outlet and see if the residue is just carbon fluff or if it is greasy, greasy being oil residue. Cold startup reveals the general condition of the carbs. If you need lots of choke and the choke needs to be used much more than a few minutes before the engine will run normally, carbs could be needing a cleaning. Look for fuel leaks. The fuel tanks tend to rust out at the lower left rear corner due to water collecting there, look for paint bubbles.If anything else comes to my alleged mind, I'll add on.

DSCN0393.jpg

• Member Contributer

I agee 1900 is too much. I picked mine up this late summer for 1450 with only 29K on the clock, it was in very good condition with just some minor color fade on the red fairing. Put a new tire on the back and some fluid changes was about it. It is completely stock. $1200 max, you'll see all sorts for sale that are reasonable if you just wait a bit and don't rush it.

His asking price is too high. Offer him 1k and let him talk you up some. If he's not willing to budge, pass. While clean examples are getting harder to find, lower mileage ones are all over and with a little TLC they'll be just as good. There have been a few popping up lately, barn finds, that are damn near new condition, some not running but for much less.

As an update for anyone who was interested, I went and saw the bike today, and it runs great. No cam rattling, no grease in the tailpipe, it has been very well maintained. A bit of paint worn off on the right hand side, but nothing horrible. I offered 1100, but apparently he's already pretty set at around 1600. All of his bikes are exceptional so I'm still debating, but I think I'll probably let this one pass.

Thanks everyone for your help!

If the tires, chain, oil, coolant, brake fluid, clutch fluid, and all brakes are NEW, then yes it's a good deal and I'd say jump on it. Outside of that 1600 is still a wee bit high for the bike. It really is a judgment call on your part as to how bad you want a 500, but for my money I'd pass, especially if there's bad paint on it.

Weak valve springs, according to Honda dealer service recommendations, needed to be replaced @ 40k miles !! Trouble is, now those springs are NOT available and VF500s consequently suffer frequently from dropped valves, ruined engines.

For $1600-$1800 you could find a nice 700 gen2, a bike much better in every way, with less maintenance required.

• Member Contributer

Man, what a nice looking VF500F! The going price for nice condition 500's like that is around $1400-1500, so I don't really think his starting price of $1900 is too outrageous. Work him down a few bills and I think you would have a really nice bike.

• 6 months later...

Hello guys! I've been a lurker for awhile ever since buying this exact bike that he is talking about. I created an account because I am actually selling said bike now, and have it posted in the classifieds. Anyways, just saying hello, and if anyone is interested in checking her out in Tucson, feel free to contact me at the info in the classified ad. Thanks!

For reference I paid 500 for an 11,000 mile 500 that had a great motor but was fugly. They are getting rare. I say work some overtime, buy it and forget about the cash. You will love it.

Archived