Vfr800 Front Caliper Model Match Up

Guest Zollie

Hi there,

Hope someone can be of assistance.. I'm rebuilding an 2006 VFR (Interceptor) 800 Vtec that was involved in a Front end smash.

I've ordered the right front caliper from a breaker in UK - I'm in South Africa.

Well he sent me the 1998-2001 Front Right Caliper, with the double hose inputs instead of the 2002-2009 with the single hose input. thumbsdown.gif

The "shock" mounting bracket seems to line up 100%, but I can't confirm as my shocks are in at the engineering shop. rolleyes.gif

From what I can tell there is 2 "inlets" on the 98-01; 1 is for 2 pistons (outer) normal front brake, and the other is only for 1 piston (middle) when rear brake is applied. Guess I can blank it off, or re-route that all 3 pistons active on front brake, I assume that is how the 2002-2009 works with only 1 hose in?

So in summary my question is, will the 98-01 VFR800 Front right caliper fit and work on the 02-09 Vfr800?

I can/need to send the part back within 7 days if it isn't correct. crap.gif

Thanks

Ps. I was referred to here by the guys on http://www.fireblades.org - VFR (Interceptor) section

68479_10151273808874104_467037657_n.jpg

579346_10151283368169104_986275517_n.jpg

46562_10151316288964104_546567563_n.jpg

• Member Contributer

I know they changed the rear caliper piston diameters vetween the VTEC-I and II, so I wouldn't be surprised if they had changed the fronts as well.

Hang on a sec, I'll check...

[time passes]

...yup, the '98-'01 right front caliper had three different piston sizes, 27mm, 22.65mm and 25.4mm (top to bottom), whilst the '02-'09 had only two sizes: 25.4mm, 22.65mm and 25.4mm. So, they're different, not by much, but I would say it is significantly different.

Good luck on your rebuild, but I'd send that one back.

Ciao,

Hey Zollie and welcome to VFRD!

Check the parts microfish on Ron Ayers.com to parts numbers. I know they made changes from the 5th gen (98-01) to the 6th gen (02-09) braking system, but I'm not sure if it involved changes to the Calipers.

Good luck with the repairs and sorry for the banger!

BR

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies - the part number aren't the same; and definitely doesn't look the same, but still seem it might fit Picking up the shocks today, will check and see and let know; holding thumbs.

From someone on Fireblades.org:

Looking at the fiches though the calipers look quite different.

Ronayers.com Microfiche Honda>Motorcycle>2006>VFR800>RIGHT FRONT BRAKE CALIPER

Ronayers.com Microfiche Honda>Motorcycle>2000>VFR800FI>FRONT BRAKE CALIPER

Thanks again for the quick replies

Hi all,

the part number aren't the same; and definitely doesn't look the same, but still seem it might fit

I'm sure they will bolt up, BUT I would NOT run two different design calipers on the same front end as they No Doubt will produce different pad pressure from side to side which is NOT a positive thing!

• Member Contributer

Hi mate, I have a BUCKETLOAD of parts you may want. Specifically here, I have all the calipers (2002 model however) and a *complete* caliper rebuild kit - all seals.

Note that the 2006+ front calipers are very different to the 2002-2005 calipers. The 2006+ models are much stronger, however they will both bolt to the forks of any 2002 and onwards bike. The front left caliper for an '06+ bike also needs specific '06+ hoses.

Is there anything you need because I have two complete bikes in my garage, one completely torn down. I literally have everything.

Hi all,

the part number aren't the same; and definitely doesn't look the same, but still seem it might fit

I'm sure they will bolt up, BUT I would NOT run two different design calipers on the same front end as they No Doubt will produce different pad pressure from side to side which is NOT a positive thing!

But we already have differences from one side to the other due to the CBS depending on whether you actuate brake lever or brake pedal separately or both at same time... I don't think you'll have any problem as long as EVERYTHING lines up correctly... and you could use a double banjo on one inlet and run a short line over to the second inlet, like a lot of folk do on the rear calliper when eliminating CBS.

That said, I would send it back, on principle's sake... and then purchase Kaldek's calliper.

Thanks all for the replies. Okay so got my shocks back and fitted along with the caliper, haven't bleeded the system yet but thus far everything fits. Spent some time with a local mechanic that rides 99 Vfr800 and he is full of hope that this will work by just blanking the one inlet off.

Seems on the 98-01 Vfr800's the dual braking works both ways, not just front to rear, but also rear to front, and thus the extra inlet on the front caliper (middle piston it seems); I can only assume there is a good reason they removed this for 2002 > upwards?

Regarding the caliper piston size that differs, I think I'm going to run it and see if there is any noticeable effect/difference and make a judgment call from there. Where I'm located shipping the part back at my own cost will almost cost as much as sourcing another for example from you kaldek , the shipping is the "expensive" thing here in SA..

Kaldek - what would a rough price estimate be on a front right caliper, 2006, and I'm also looking for a ignition base contact (OEM 35101-MCW-D60), and OEM right hand clip on (Handle bar).

Furthermore Kaldek, I wish I met you earlier! I've since ordered all the parts I needed (2-3weeks ago) and most have started arriving.. It was, left radiator, oil cooler, both lights, fairing cage, clocks clear cover, ignition, hiss ring, clutch cover, clutch inner backet right front calipers, front discs, wanted to get a replacement fork tube (left only) but couldn't find one as all were out of stock as with factory, hmmm what else, ow ja all fairing are being repaired replaced locally, double bubble screen, handle bars (aftermarket clip ons), etc.. Some of the parts didn't come as ordered/expected, the Caliper that is wrong year model, and the ingnition didn't come with any base; the seller said he'll send but haven't heard anything from him in a few days, will keep my fingers crossed though.

VFR costed met R15 000, which related to roughly $ 2000 and I'm hoping to not spend more than $2500 start to end, bringing me to $4500 (R36 000) ; which here is South Africa is still ~R20 000 (~$2500) below market value; the main reason for the rebuild was to spent more time home, the past few months I ended up drinking more and more and needed to spent some time keeping me busy with other things...

If she is sorted she'll be used for touring and the occasional track day; my daily commuter is Yamaha Vmax (98)

417093_10151321234204104_1123121996_n.jpg

Kal dek has been fully into the differences of of differnt calipers on vtech years, which both are definitely different from the 5th gen, he's your best shot knowledge wise. BUt no way would I want 5th gen calipers or 02 -05 6th gen calipers on a 06+ bike.

So send that stuff back

Edited by spud786

Hey I have fork tubes. Do you need the lower or upper? Did you also say you needed a starter motor?

Hi Kaldek, sorry I'm confusing you! I've already sorted most parts except the following which didn't come as advertised; so if you could get me a rough estimate on price (and shipping) if possible I would greatly appreciated it!

Front right caliper, 2006

ignition base contact (OEM 35101-MCW-D60)

OEM right clip on (Handle bar)

The Fork tubes were just bent slightly, I had an engineering shop straighten them, and also re chrome with new seals etc - got them back and fitted on Saturday - pic above. Slowly but surely getting there.

Okay so I hit another BUMP....

The HISS ring on my VFR was cracked, so I ordered another one, also via Ebay.. and once again, wrong part.. the one I received isn't for my VFR, or a VFR at all.. its "wiring" is waay to short and doesn't have all the markings, e.g. hazards etc. so not sure from which bike this came off..

Yesterday I filled the VFR with oil, although I don't have the tank back yet from spray I swinged the bike; I'm not sure what to expect but I've noticed I can swing the bike with the ECU plugged in or removed completely.

Now the ECU also has a crack, and I'm wondering if the ECU and cracked HISS might not be faulty, call me paranoid, but I don't get the feeling I should. I'm not sure what the correct behavior of the VFR should be when the ignition is turned on, but I hear nothing.

is there a way to check the "health" of the HISS ring and or the ECU ?

I find it strange you haven't been given correct info yet, the rhs front calliper is very different front the gen5 to the gen6 because the gen5 has that calliper linked to the link brake system & the gen6 calliper doesn't. The gen5 system uses one piston on rhs & lhs in link brake system when rear brake applied, the gen6 only uses one piston in the lhs calliper, that is why the rhs gen5 calliper you have has two ports.

You can use it on your gen6 as will bolt in place but you will only have two pistons not three working unless you link all the ports into the front brake stand alone brake line system which would be messy.

For future ref the gen5 & gen6 front brake that works solely off the front brake master cylinder is a separate system & isn't linked to the link brake system, on the gen5 it controls two pistons in each calliper front & gen6 in controls two pistons lhs calliper & all three rhs calliper. The link brake system on a gen5 when activated by rear brake lever uses one piston each calliper & only one piston lhs calliper gen6. The calliper mounted lhs master cylinder on both gens activates the rear calliper link brake piston.

GEN5

front brake only two pistons each calliper

link brake one piston each calliper (activated rear brake lever)

GEN6

front brake only two pistons lhs calliper & three pistons rhs caliper

link brake one piston lhs calliper (activated rear brake lever)

BOTH GENS

lhs calliper mounted master cylinder activates one piston rear calliper

The HISS ring on my VFR was cracked, so I ordered another one, also via Ebay.. and once again, wrong part.. the one I received isn't for my VFR, or a VFR at all.. its "wiring" is waay to short and doesn't have all the markings, e.g. hazards etc. so not sure from which bike this came off..

Yesterday I filled the VFR with oil, although I don't have the tank back yet from spray I swinged the bike; I'm not sure what to expect but I've noticed I can swing the bike with the ECU plugged in or removed completely.

Now the ECU also has a crack, and I'm wondering if the ECU and cracked HISS might not be faulty, call me paranoid, but I don't get the feeling I should. I'm not sure what the correct behavior of the VFR should be when the ignition is turned on, but I hear nothing.

I don't know what you mean by you can swing the bike?

BUT the hiss ring which is just a receiver for the key transponder & the ecu may still work even cracked. You probably can't hear anything because you don't have your tank fitted which is where the fuel pump is that you hear prime when you turn ign on. Do you get the dash light up? & you can test fuel pump connecting wiring has supplied voltage when ign on with multimeter. If hiss is locking out your bike from memory the fuel pump doesn't prime.

If hiss is working just use some epoxy to seal the cracks.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know what you mean by you can swing the bike?

BUT the hiss ring which is just a receiver for the key transponder & the ecu may still work even cracked. You probably can't hear anything because you don't have your tank fitted which is where the fuel pump is that you hear prime when you turn ign on. Do you get the dash light up? & you can test fuel pump connecting wiring has supplied voltage when ign on with multimeter. If hiss is locking out your bike from memory the fuel pump doesn't prime.

If hiss is working just use some epoxy to seal the cracks.

Hi thanks,

This thread has moved under the electrical section:

ECU is dead after all.

Regards,

Wessel