• Member Contributer

I get cold hands on my VFR. I used my heated grips in Utah in September. When riding in and about 5 degrees C, with my grips (Oxford Heaterz) on max heat, my hands are okay, but my thumbs go numb. Ever tried riding with your thumbs on the same side of the grips as your fingers? Not a great idea, but somewhat warmer.

And today, while searching for something else, I found this: knucklewarmers.

img_5317.jpg

They look like they come from Washington State, and I wonder if anyone has any experience with them, or with the company.

advTHANKSance

• Member Contributer

Google hippo hands...same type of deal. People up in Canada use this stuff all the time. Ask Olive!

• Member Contributer

Google hippo hands...same type of deal. People up in Canada use this stuff all the time. Ask Olive!

:+1:

Someone a while back posted about them. Said they worked incredibly well for cold weather. Might look a bit funny, but better than that piece of folded carpet.

This type of cover does it best I've had heated grips and gloves(most of the eletric combos) and the covers keep the wind off, and if you have electric grips you'll have it all. but I haven't needed the grips with the covers. the thing about covers are that you can wear summer gloves and feel the controls.

DSC00276.JPG

DSC00275.JPG

DSC00274.JPG

DSC00273.JPG

I have heated gloves, heated grip, Hippo hands, and rain off. I don't like Hippo hands at higher speeds because at higher speeds they tend to deform and start touching the clutch and brake levers. Also you can’t see all the controls because it's covered up. I do use hippo hands on my scooter which has heated grip and seems to work ok because I rarely exceed 75MPH and seems to work well at lower speeds. The best combination I found in extremely cold weather is to use the combination of heated gloves and rainoff, and have ridden reasonably comfortable down to -5 Celsius at triple digit speeds. Rainoff doesn't feel like plastic but feels like soft fabric and is effective in retaining heat generated by the heated gloves and also works well to wipe off rain or snow off the helmet shield.

http://www.rain-off.com

• Member Contributer

I will have to google rainoff. Never heard of that. I am always looking for something better. FYI. I started riding in August 2006 with a new in the crate bike. Now I have just over 100,000 miles. Until I retired this past spring I rode to and from work 100 miles round trip, mostly freeway here on the west coast of Canada year round. Several times I had been caught in -10C temps and many many more times, typically ride in sub freezing temps. Been caught in the snow too but did not like that one bit. I do not have electric grips. I have used Technik winter gloves and have stayed quite comfortable with them alone. But in the very heavy rain, my hands got wet.

Now having said that, I like what Monk has there. If they are rubber coated, they would be the cat's ass for keeping my hands dry. And keeping wind off the hands is probably 50% of the issue to keep warm hands. Especially when I make my annual pilgimage from Chilliwack BC to Atascadero California on the US Memorial Day weekend. Typically it is very wet until I get over the Siskiew Pass on the I-5 and down into the warmer northern California valley.

• Member Contributer

So Rain off is basically the same as Rainex. Use that stuff on my visor with pretty good success. But as the visor becomes pitted from use, that becomes less effective.

I will have to google rainoff. Never heard of that. I am always looking for something better. FYI. I started riding in August 2006 with a new in the crate bike. Now I have just over 100,000 miles. Until I retired this past spring I rode to and from work 100 miles round trip, mostly freeway here on the west coast of Canada year round. Several times I had been caught in -10C temps and many many more times, typically ride in sub freezing temps. Been caught in the snow too but did not like that one bit. I do not have electric grips. I have used Technik winter gloves and have stayed quite comfortable with them alone. But in the very heavy rain, my hands got wet.

Now having said that, I like what Monk has there. If they are rubber coated, they would be the cat's ass for keeping my hands dry. And keeping wind off the hands is probably 50% of the issue to keep warm hands. Especially when I make my annual pilgimage from Chilliwack BC to Atascadero California on the US Memorial Day weekend. Typically it is very wet until I get over the Siskiew Pass on the I-5 and down into the warmer northern California valley.

They are made of a water resistant material and have ribs in front, and on top so they don't cave in under the pressure of wind at high speed........ Will have to admit they didn't come that way, I made them.

Back before they finally came out with water proof winter motorycle gloves, I used thermax liners, nitrie liners, and heavy leather, that combo was okay, but doesnt hold a candle to winter Tundra gloves, those actually did very good. Only issue mine arent totally waterproof, but now they have mc gloves made to this caliper plus waterproof. Thats where Id start

Im not big on covers over the grips, you take your hand out for some reason, and in a clinche situation, hamfisting getting back in could cause an issue.

Other companies besides Rainoff makes similar products but the material for most of them feels like cheap rain suits, instead of cloth/ rubbery feeling of Rainoff. Waterproof leather gloves may keep your hands dry but the outer shell of the gloves still gets soaked and have to dry them off for several days. I have several pairs of waterproof gloves, but always use Rainoff on extensive ride in the wet. Remember to tuck your gloves under the jacket and not over them, or you’ll have water running down into your hands.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Monk: who made those covers, please?

One of a kind.... I made them.

There are others on the market Google " Hippo Hands "

As said above you don't want them to close on your hands at speed.

• Member Contributer

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Monk: who made those covers, please?

One of a kind.... I made them.

There are others on the market Google " Hippo Hands "

As said above you don't want them to close on your hands at speed.

Yes, thank you very much.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Yeah, the snows have started.....

IMAG1595_zps802cfee5.jpg

(yes, there are 1 VFR and 3 bicycles in that shed)

Fighting the cold outside? Get some hearthy beef stew on the table!!! (Hi Skuuter, long time no food pic! :tongue: )

2012-12-02_10-15-52_HDR_zps8699ff99.jpg

2012-12-02_10-51-21_HDR_zps51f7f35c.jpg

(served with red cabbage and potatoes)

• Member Contributer

I'm confused how did we get to cooking steaks ?????

I get cold hands on my VFR. I used my heated grips in Utah in September. When riding in and about 5 degrees C, with my grips (Oxford Heaterz) on max heat, my hands are okay, but my thumbs go numb. Ever tried riding with your thumbs on the same side of the grips as your fingers? Not a great idea, but somewhat warmer.

And today, while searching for something else, I found this: knucklewarmers.

img_5317.jpg

They look like they come from Washington State, and I wonder if anyone has any experience with them, or with the company.

advTHANKSance

$100.00 that is way over priced but if they work thats great. They have about $8.00 - $10.00 worth of labor and materials in that product. Wow use to be in that industry.

• Member Contributer

If you are feeling cold, try a warm stew yes ;-)

Alternatively, Powerlet gloves..... Got these for upcoming XmasThe sizing chart online was reportedly inaccurate, so here the one that came with the gloves. Good thing I got xxl (which i would normally think as too big. good thing i found a ruler with inches eh? :-)

post-8974-0-82600100-1354606300.jpg

post-8974-0-37608900-1354606339.jpg

post-8974-0-46594100-1354606373.jpg

• Like 1

It's funny that for all the heat a motorcycle makes from its engine, nobody had really tried to harness some of it to warm up the rider and passenger..

Anything from channeling warm air from the oil cooler or the radiator or using some sort of heat exchanger/fluid system that can be incorporated into a rider's suit. Most of it can be mostly passive systems that required minimum electrics (maybe vaccuum actuated dampers and thermo actuated valves) and mechanics. It can actually be more reliable than most electric heated systems out there now....but I guess just plugging into the bike and heating up some wires is still too easy to justify replacing at this time??

....just thinking.....

Chombi

• Like 1

A ruler?? People still use rulers?? Isn't there an app for that or something????

Just teasing. Looks like it should do the trick. Can you feel the wires when you ride??

C

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of Countries that use rulers, without naming them and p-ssing somebody off.

• Member Contributer

A ruler?? People still use rulers?? Isn't there an app for that or something????

Just teasing. Looks like it should do the trick. Can you feel the wires when you ride??

C

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of Countries that use rulers, without naming them and p-ssing somebody off.

Hmmmm. I can see how my post could maybe quickly become a problem. Let me say this before it happens: I was just trying to tease Dutchy, who usually has a pretty good sense of humor. Now, if I offended anyone because of this not so good (and even bad?) joke, I would like to apologize. It may have been a bad joke, but sometimes things do sound pretty funny in my own mind/world. Sorry again... :sad:

C