Delkevic Slip-on for 6th Gen

not4us

They're a straight swap and to be honest getting the old cans off took five times longer than installing the new ones. Everything went on really easily and I lined the components up before tightening all the clamps. All in all putting the new system on took less than an hour. Taking the old one off however depends if your nuts have ceased ooeerr ;)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Box arrived this morning (took exactly a week to get delivered from the USA to Australia!!!) so I spent a few hours getting them on and OMG! what a difference...

They sound AMAZING, specially with the baffles out. Actually, I don't think the baffles are right and couldn't get them installed properly so left them out. I'm awaiting on Delkevic's response to understand how to mount them.

Here are some pics (video with sound at the end).

The box (it was excellently packed with lots of bubble wrap and brown paper)

20121017_094245.jpg

Removing the old stuff...

20121017_105025.jpg

.. and breaking some rusty bolts in the process

20121017_105555.jpg

Welding looks pretty good

20121017_111258.jpg

Another

20121017_111250.jpg

Link-pipe goes on (gosh, look how rusty the cat is!!!)

20121017_111142.jpg

Mufflers out

20121017_111609.jpg

This is one of the baffles

20121017_111727.jpg

And how I thought it could go in

20121017_112030.jpg

But that would get on the way on connecting to the mid-pipe so have to find another way...

Getting everything connected

20121017_112528.jpg

Rubber clamps

20121017_112800.jpg

And on they go!

20121017_115043.jpg

Side view

20121017_115047.jpg

And from below

20121017_115053.jpg

Didn't take one with the plastics back on but even better, here's a video!

(Still being processed by YouTube)

oh jesus, those sound mean!

Indeed!

Went on my normal commute this morning and was almost embarrassed by how beautiful (and loud) the sound is.

Got a reply from Delkevic on how to install the baffles so may try that tonight, but I was thinking about leaving them with the baffles out until I get any complaints (or fines) and only then put them on.

• Member Contributer

Nice job. I'm at work, so I can't see the video, but I would like to see it with the cowling back on. Without it, they look HUGE to me. In reality they may be about the same diameter as my Erion Racing cans, but I can't tell.

Here in the US, you are probably aware, we are fighting an uphill battle with the general public that is sick and tired of obnoxiously loud exhausts from mostly the HD type crowd. I for one like the throaty, V4 rumble from my Erions, but would be against anything louder. If we don't police ourselves here in the US, our choice for any aftermarket exhaust will be taken away...

So I guess what I'm saying is that if you fear you may be offending your neighbors, then they are probably too loud. My opinion only of course.

My Erions:

VFR In CDA

So I guess what I'm saying is that if you fear you may be offending your neighbors, then they are probably too loud. My opinion only of course.

I guess you are right.

The thing is, they sound really loud when on the bike, but walk away 2 or 3 steps and they don't sound that loud.

Anyway, I'm going to put the baffles on soon the "proper" way (drilling a small hole at the bottom of the end of can (on the slash cut end) and see how they sound that way as I haven't tested it yet, then I'll make the decision. Also, by installing them that way, is as easy as just removing one screw to get them off so I could have the baffle on for commuting and remove them fro weekend rides in just a minute.

By the way, those Erion's look pretty nice!!!

• Member Contributer

Thanks. They are getting a little on the worn side. Would be nice to have some new ones like yours.

Nice that you can install and remove the baffles so easily.

Wow, awesome sound. I like the look and silence of stock cans so that the cops keep of my back, but just for the purpose of getting good videos I would like to try these exhaust. But riding season almost over for us here in Ohio :(

Ok guys, even though it was late and getting dark I have now put the baffles on!

The Delkevic chap told me to drill a hole on the bottom of the exhaust tip and screw the baffle there.

Only issue I had was that there are two layers of metal and the screw for the baffle is not long enough to get through both so what I end up doing is drilling the first hole bigger to fit the whole screw (including the head). Better explained with the following pictures (and video is at the end):

Hole through tip and screw inside

20121018_200107.jpg

Another angle

20121018_200114.jpg

From behind

20121018_200124.jpg

Rear view

20121018_200141.jpg

• Member Contributer

Awesome! Great job making it work. Is you riding season about to start?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Than you. The stock sound was one of the few things that I didn't like in VFR but that is now fixed...

I ride all year long but we are now on the middle of spring so I guess you could say our riding season has started!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

I'd agree. For the model I bought the baffles go in the link pipe end as opposed to the business end!!! I don't suppose it matters as long as they do their job :smile:

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the follow up....I'm also a little flummoxed by them having the customer drill a hole like that, I'd expect a factory mounting (indeed I'd think they'd ship with the baffles in and give the user the option to easily remove them). Still, a minor issue. Those V4s do sound nice. :smile:

I guess the reason why they make the customer drill the holes is that the exhaust come with no baffles, the baffles were and extra $10 each and I can see how some customers wouldn't use or want them.

Not too fussed abut having to drill the hole in there as it's the bottom of the can but I'm intrigued by Jonnyboy comments.

You are satying that the baffle on your Delkevics go on the pipe end? Can you explain a bit more how the are actually attached? Are the baffles the same as mine?

Hi, no mine are purely race cans the same as yours. Speaking to the Delkevic supplier though he said that had I gone for the road legal version the baffles would go in at the link pipe end. I guess this isn't an option with the race pipes and so you have to put them where you can!!

• 2 weeks later...

An update:

Spoke to Delkevic after installing the baffles and told them that I thought something was amiss as it didn't seem right that I have to drill a hole myself and even after doing that and installing them the way the suggested it was still too loud and the baffles didn't seem to quieten the noise much if at all.

They then admitted that the baffles they sent me were a new design meant to be installed differently, but since I had already drilled the holes I shouldn't take them out. Instead they offer to ship new mufflers with the baffles pre-installed by them for free, all I needed was to send them back the current ones.

I took them out and put back the stock exhaust (if I found the sound bad before now is awful after having had the Delkevics for a couple of weeks) and sent them back to them on Saturday ($85 for postage from AUS to USA!) and them informed them about it and asked when would they send the new ones. To my surprise they had already send them last week and after checking the UPS site it appears they are with the courier in Sydney already!

I'll update the post with the new exhaust once I fit them later this week but just wanted to highlight the great customer service offered by this guys, will definitely keep them on my list of preferred suppliers from now on.

• Member Contributer

I bought a stainless 16" for my 5th gen. I am very impressed with it especially for the low price. Sounds loud enough with the extra baffle in. Materials and welds all look great. Finish and craftsmanship is not as high grade like Staintune or Akropovich but I only paid $160. I would recommend them to anyone who needs to compromise on price. They are a great value.

An update:

Spoke to Delkevic after installing the baffles and told them that I thought something was amiss as it didn't seem right that I have to drill a hole myself and even after doing that and installing them the way the suggested it was still too loud and the baffles didn't seem to quieten the noise much if at all.

They then admitted that the baffles they sent me were a new design meant to be installed differently, but since I had already drilled the holes I shouldn't take them out. Instead they offer to ship new mufflers with the baffles pre-installed by them for free, all I needed was to send them back the current ones.

I took them out and put back the stock exhaust (if I found the sound bad before now is awful after having had the Delkevics for a couple of weeks) and sent them back to them on Saturday ($85 for postage from AUS to USA!) and them informed them about it and asked when would they send the new ones. To my surprise they had already send them last week and after checking the UPS site it appears they are with the courier in Sydney already!

I'll update the post with the new exhaust once I fit them later this week but just wanted to highlight the great customer service offered by this guys, will definitely keep them on my list of preferred suppliers from now on.

That's cool!!!

• Member Contributer

Always great to hear of a company providing excellent customer service like that...

For those of you still following...

The replacement cans arrived today! I was already impressed with Delkevic's delivery time first time around but they beat themselves this time and the package got to Sydney from Colorado in less than a week.

As you can see form the pictures, Delkevic has done some work on the pipes to be able to add and remove the baffles easily rather than having to have the costumer drill the holes.

They have drill a hole on the pipe-end of the muffler and welded a threaded nut in it where you can screw the baffle in.

They have also modified the internals of the muffler (can't really see on the photos) in that the metal mesh fills is bit bent inward to "hold" the baffle in place.

I have also included a video at tend for you to hear the new cans.

They are still loud but not the point of being annoying or wake up the neighbours in the morning.

One think I have noticed since I put back the stocker for the last few days s that the bike tends to use more fuel on the stock exhaust than on the more freely breathing Delkevic's, I thought it should be the opposite but I got a lot better mileage on the Delkevic's than on the stock, go figure...

Any way, here are some pics and the video:

The new cans in the box

20121031_170601.jpg

The newly welded baffle holder

20121031_170607.jpg

The new baffles

20121031_170635.jpg

Baffle installed (rear)

20121031_171531.jpg

Baffle installed (front)

20121031_171538.jpg

Closer look at the baffle in place and the screw holding it

20121031_171544.jpg

And the video

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi

I've got the shorty carbon Delkevic cans on my 2010 VFR and they are great.

Put the DB killers in from the start as what I'd read everyone said thay were too loud for street use without them.

I've done about 6000km with them on and have had no issues with cops or quality of the product.

Great value for money from where I sit.

I'm waiting on a set of Motad headers now to complete the exhaust and them off to the dyno.

Cheers

Phil

Edit to this post. 26th January 2013

I received the Motad headers and after fitting the overall sound level went up with the combination of both to a point where I didn't feel happy with the loudness.

I've replaced the Delkevic's with a LeoVince CF system and cannot be happier.

With the DB killers in, as supplied, they are not much louder than the stock pipes but with a much deeper growl.

Without the killers thay are nowhere near as loud as the Delkevic's and are much richer in sound quality.

Cheers

Phil

Archived