Valve adjustment 6th gen

ninjadoc

About half were out of spec (but well within tolerance),)))))

Either they were out of spec or not, you cant have it both ways. and if you had a dealer do it, then you probably don't actually know what they were other than hearsay chatter.

Sounds more placebo effect to me. They'd have needed to be way out of spec to notice an improvement in operation.

Some day I may check my 110,000 mile vfr, but it runs strong as always , no degrade at all, and its routinely hammered with tight track, but I run a special fuel diet. The vfr is the only motor Ive not checked the valves on, cause #1 its not a known motor to have serious valve movement issues, especially utilizing the preventatives.

My other motors in the past, have been routinely checked cause they have shown a history on the model with movement, including my new ktm has been checked twice . in the first 30 hours of operation. where others have seen movement, Ive seen none, I give credit to my air filtering and fuel diet to achieve good long term valve life.

• 1 month later...

About half were out of spec (but well within tolerance),)))))

Either they were out of spec or not, you cant have it both ways. and if you had a dealer do it, then you probably don't actually know what they were other than hearsay chatter.

Sounds more placebo effect to me. They'd have needed to be way out of spec to notice an improvement in operation.

Some day I may check my 110,000 mile vfr, but it runs strong as always , no degrade at all, and its routinely hammered with tight track, but I run a special fuel diet. The vfr is the only motor Ive not checked the valves on, cause #1 its not a known motor to have serious valve movement issues, especially utilizing the preventatives.

My other motors in the past, have been routinely checked cause they have shown a history on the model with movement, including my new ktm has been checked twice . in the first 30 hours of operation. where others have seen movement, Ive seen none, I give credit to my air filtering and fuel diet to achieve good long term valve life.

I was shown the printout for my valve specs. ~ Half were OK (didn't need adjustment), ~half were out of spec (needed shims), but obviously all were within tolerance (as I had been riding the bike). As for a placebo effect, no. I am in tune with my machines; be it car, motorcycle, jet airplane, bicycle, lawnmower, chainsaw, whatever. I notice the small differences. After the valve tune my bike was noticeably smoother running (engine wise) especially above 7000 when all the valves open up. Further more, it has gained me full confidence in the bike's state of tune, as I bought it used and it has a fair few miles on it. Not everyone would notice the difference to be sure, or not feel it was worth the cost to find out.

Archived