1985 VF750F - never ending evolution

greatwhite

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On my VF750, I used some Suzuki GS550 mirrors that looked great.

Black, square, plastic with metal stalks. Correct 10mm thread to fit the Honda perches, etc.

Fine idea except my switch gear is all rc51 stuff now. No mirror base mounts....

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Experimenting with initial mock up.

Observations:

1. rear wheel.

I've already got cbr/f2 wheels on the bike. The wheel fits the newer CBR/RR arm fine. The problem is in the axle diameter and length. The RR axle is too large to fit the F2 bearings and the F2 axle is a touch too short to fit the swingarm width with the standard adjustment blocks. The F2 axle would also require some bushings to properly fit the swingarm openings, spacers and brake caliper bracket.

The easiest way out will be to fit the later RR bearings into the F2 wheel, assuming they have the same outer race diameter. Or perhaps just order a new set of bearing that are the proper specs for my needs. I need to check with some suppliers after I look up some specs.

Next way out would be to use the F2 axle and chain adjusters on the RR arm. My arm is a 2006 so it uses the bolts in the arm adjuster style rather than the older "metal loop" axle adjusters. A 2004 RR arm would have had the hoop style adjusters and may have worked "as is" with the F2 axle (well, with new bushings for the proper DIA). If I use the F2 axle, I'll also have to make up some bushings for the various bits that are larger diameters (IE: built for the larger RR axle).

The preference will be to simply swap in new bearing and shave/build the proper spacers for rear wheel alignment.

2. Swingarm axle bolts/pivot point.

a. The RH bolt from the VF frame slips right in like it was made to fit. Got off lucky there.

b. The LH side is a different matter. The bolt diameter is waaayyy smaller than the swingarm bushing.

So, I'll either need to;

i. make a sleeve for the bolt or

ii. spin up a whole new bushing with a smaller ID.

I would prefer to make a new bushing (option ii) but we'll have to see how it goes as I continue fitting the assembly.

The swingarm width is quite close to final dimensions also:

C6AC19AF-B104-42E3-A52F-A32C17CF98ED-506

0CD50B8E-EF45-4B0C-93B4-0855B8ABA986-506

A couple MM's here and there will get it right in. Looks like I might need to mill 5-10 mm off on either side to fit 'er up.

It also looks as if the exhaust clearance is not going to be an issue at all.

4. Wheel alignment

Pretty good from eye balling it. Chain looks really close, tire looks centered:

smudgeplate.jpg

Obviously, measurements and refining are required.

5.Wheelbase

Looks like it's going to be a touch longer than the stock VF arm:

5E670A34-728A-403C-AFBE-F144F0FDE3FA-506

That picture is a little deceiving since it has to move forward about 3 1/2 inches before it's even close to the pivot point (it looks like a drag bike or one of those extended swingarm jobbies in that pic!).

I'm going to guestimate it will add another 5-15 MM to the wheel base, which can have a fairly large effect.

So the longer wheel base will alter handling a bit. But it's a street bike and I've got a couple other ideas on how to deal with the wheelbase change..

6. Linkages/shock mount.

The shock and linkage is all integral to the swingarm so no worries there. The only thing is the one link to the lower frame. Looks like I'm going to luck out here also - the RR link lines up pretty much spot on with the VF linkage frame point. Some shaving and cutting on the RR link should slip it right in. I'll most likely make up my own link/dogbone with heim joints so I can fine tune the ride height and suspension action (ie: progressive rate).

On a personal note that has nothing to do with how it functions; I think that arm looks really good on the bike!

I need to drop it on a scale to see how much more of less it is compared to the stock arm and shock/linkage. The really nice thing about the whole deal is it's going to be stiffer but also lower the center of gravity a bit since everything is in the swingarm and carried very low.

Should be interesting to see how it all effects the bike once it's done.

Hi, everybody!!! I've the same problems with my '85 VF1000 with CBR600 swingarm. Can you send me some photos of the swingarm shaved?? How many mm do you have shaved from right and left sides?? Thank

Archived